Author Topic: bennetts and ramsdens  (Read 10139 times)

Offline Paul

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: bennetts and ramsdens
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 30 June 07 16:15 BST (UK) »
Hello Frankie,
On your first post you say Benjamins son William married Martha Ramsden in 1910. Are you sure it wasn't his grandson William?
On the 1881 Census. Brick Lane, Bistre, Benjamins Son William is 19.
By 1891. Nant Mawr, Bistre, William has gone. If it was William, Benjamins Son he would have been about 49 when he Married Martha.
If I can get in the Archives next week I'll have a look.

Paul.

Offline frankieb

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 01 July 07 10:22 BST (UK) »
Yes paul -thanks for that-i am getting confused with all the williams-the william that married martha in 1910 is the one born around 1886 to william and mary-think she was nee roberts. Think they got married in chester-as i said earlier-i have packed up my stuff in boxes ready to move so i am relying on memory for most of my stuff-bad i know-so my dates and facts could be a bit unreliable-sorry. And i have william and marthas marriage cert.-and as yet have not got the william and mary one from chester . So his father was the benjamin-then his father was the william-then someone has said that the father of that william is henry. But i do have the will index entry for benjamin for 1906 in bistre-so maybe it will give me a bit more and i may beable to confirm a little bit the relationships where there are no civil registration certificates to proove it.
thanks for that-any help is most welcome-i have struggled with the bennetts for ages due to the many similar bennett names and families in that area.
kind regards everyone
frankie-burnley lancashire

Offline frankieb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 01 July 07 10:33 BST (UK) »
back again paul and everyone-think i checked the cheshire bmd for the william and mary roberts marriage-as i could find nothing on the north wales one-and i thought it was correct if i am reme3mbering properly because i saw that in a later census william and mary had some williams and roberts nephews and neices living with them-but i cannott remember which census. i cannot check either because i dont have ancestry at home.
i have yet to find any connections to my bennetts  -i seem to come accross a lot of the earlier benjamin and catherine nee jones bennetts-the ones who went to utah-but with mine i have drawn a blank. I know one of the families -sons of benjamin-went to treeton in yorkshire but as yet have not found anyone researching that line. The thing i would love to see the most to be honest is an actual photograph of a bennett family member. Its my husbands family and he never met his grandparents william and martha or any other bennett family members -so he has absolutely no information about that side of his family -and to see a picture or gain some personal information about anyone in the bennett clan would make his day.
So anyone out there with connections to these bennetts please feel free to contact us with any information however small because it helps to build up a picture of the family he has not known.
We have done very well with the ramsden side-we have found cousins all over but the bennett side has drawn a blank as yet. So all your input is brilliant -thankyou and much appreciated.
regards
frankie

Offline Paul

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 02 July 07 20:29 BST (UK) »
Hello Frankie.
Bistre marrage June 19 1853.
Benjamin Bennett(X) 23. Bachelor. Bistre. Labourer. Father William. Labourer.March 2 1856. Peter.

Catherine Jones. (X). 22. Spinster. Bistre. Father Peter. Collier.
Witnesses. Rees Lewis(X) & Anne Lewis(X)
(X)=Did not sign made mark.

Baptisms of the children of Benjamin & Catherine Bennett. Bistre.
Oct 30 1853. Mary.
March 2 1856. Peter.
July 15 1858. Martha.
Sep 24 1861. William.
May 18 1864. Henry.
June 16 1867. Catherine.
Sep 21 1871. Benjamin.
Up to William Benjamin's Occ. was Labourer. For the last three he is a collier.

Northop marriage. Sep 26 1822.
William Bennett(X) of Wepre, Northop. bachelor & Labourer.
Mary Jones(X) of Wepre Northop. Spinster. Both being of age.
Witnesses. John Conway of Flint. Collier & Catherine Jones of Flint Spinster.

Hope this helps.
Paul.

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 02 July 07 21:19 BST (UK) »
The Witnesses to the Marriage of William Bennett are of great interest to me.In fact there is a possibility I have the both of them on my Tree!I have a John Conway born in Flint in 1801 in my Tree.I also have a Catherine Jones born in Flint Common in 1796 in my Tree.This Catherine among other siblings,had two sisters a Mary Jones born in 1795 in Flint Common,and an Elizabeth Jones born in 1801 in Flint Common.The Elizabeth Jones is my Greatx3-Grandmoother and she married Edward Conway at Northop in 1821.Is the other sister Mary the one that married William Bennett?

Regards
William Russell Jones
Cefn Mawr
Wrexham.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Paul

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 02 July 07 23:54 BST (UK) »
How are you W R J. The other sister Mary could be the one who married William Bennett,
I forgot to post these Frankie.
Baptisms of the children of William and Mary Bennett (nee Jones)
Born March 14. Baptised, March 21 1823. Hannah. Abode, Flint Common.
        Sep 2                       Sep 25. 1825. Henry.                    Wepre.
        Feb 23                     March 21. 1828. Ellen.                   Wepre.
        July 1.                      July 18 1830. Mary.                           ""
        June 23.                  July 15 1832. Henry.                         "
        Aug 5.                     Aug 24 1834. BENJAMIN.                  ""
        April 23.                  May 14. 1837. William.                     ""

Paul.               

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 03 July 07 00:34 BST (UK) »
I'm fine thanks Paul,the only drawback to this being the Census Entries for Mary Bennett.The Census years give her Birthyear as no earlier than 1803.There could be another connection with the Conway/Jones, for John Conway's Grandmother was a Mary Jones born in Flint in c 1750.There was always a Jones as Witness to the Conway Marriages.

Regards
William Russell Jones
Cefn Mawr
Wrexham.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline frankieb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 03 July 07 11:57 BST (UK) »
thankyou so much paul and william-you've been brilliant. Yes it looks promising that mary is the other jones sister-i would say yes anyway with no proof. I am amazed-thanks for your efforts in looking these parish records up paul-i am happy and i have found out so much more in just a few days.
Its good too that i have found a distant connection with you william-its hard with the names being so common in that part of wales to find a relation-however distant.  :D
If anyone ever wants anything lancashire looking up i will do my best-and i have the will index's at my work from 1850's until 1943 for chester if anyone needs a look-up.
william-have you got any pics or family or friends photos of your jones's at all??? We-me and my bennett husband-are desperate for pics -he never knew any grandparents on any side of the family-and i have an idea he looks like the bennett side of the family as he is not a t all like a ramsden. He is tall with dark hair -well -black really and i feel sure he may have a likeness to the bennetts . The ramsdens appear to be mostly small with black hair and slim noses. And small heads. And his mum's side are small and have red hair. (they are williams surname.)
I would dearly love a pic of william his grandfather-the one born in 1886 (son of william and mary) and i am sure someone out there will have one-or one of any of the family.
thanks very much again for all your help-you dont know how much it means.

Offline frankieb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 03 July 07 12:07 BST (UK) »
Hi william and everyone

Just a funny thing-those jones's get everywhere. Later in the 20th century-one of william 4 's (the one qwho married martha ramsden in 1910) daughters ada bennett married a josiah jones in ashton under lyne-think she was trying to keep up the family tradition of marrying a jones-wonder if her family set up the marriage?? They were living in audenshaw by then and i know nothing of josiah jones-but he sounds definately welsh does'nt he??!!!!!
frankie