Author Topic: Gavinburn Primary School COMPLETED  (Read 5794 times)

Offline pettsy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gavinburn Primary School COMPLETED
« on: Friday 29 June 07 22:50 BST (UK) »
I have just found out which school my great grandfathers older siblings went to, Gavinburn, in Clydebank.
They were born 1883, 1885, 1887 (g grandad 1894)

I contacted to admissions, and they are sending the admissions list which names them.

I don't know why my great grandfather and his younger siblings are not on the list.  ???

I would really like to see a photo of the old Gavinburn, pre Blitz.
Why can I find one?

Pettsy

Petts in Hertfordshire,Chelsea & New Zealand.<br />Swift in Islington, Chelsea &  Battersea.<br />Cox in Chelsea.<br />Carter in Chelsea.<br />Little in Westminster, London.<br />Munn & McAulay in Duntocher, Scotland.<br />
Munn New Jersey and Oz
Dwyer, McManus & Kiernan in Ireland.<br />Turner in Shrewsbury.<br />Cannon in London.<br />Porter in London.<br />Kinner in Chelsea, London.<br />Le Breton

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Christmas 2011. My daughter Clare with me.
    • View Profile
Re: Gavinburn Primary School
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 June 07 23:50 BST (UK) »
Clydebank Central library has a postcard collection.
You could ask them?

0141 952 1416
-------------------
FORREST (Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Stirlingshire and Dunbartonshire)
ROONEY (Co Down, Co Antrim) 
BORTHWICK, FORTUNE, BARKER, SIVES (Lothians)
ANDERSON (Moray, Caithness)

Offline pettsy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 June 07 13:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks Dave,
I will be visiting the Library next month, I will have a look then.  ;)

Pettsy
Petts in Hertfordshire,Chelsea & New Zealand.<br />Swift in Islington, Chelsea &  Battersea.<br />Cox in Chelsea.<br />Carter in Chelsea.<br />Little in Westminster, London.<br />Munn & McAulay in Duntocher, Scotland.<br />
Munn New Jersey and Oz
Dwyer, McManus & Kiernan in Ireland.<br />Turner in Shrewsbury.<br />Cannon in London.<br />Porter in London.<br />Kinner in Chelsea, London.<br />Le Breton

Offline joette

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 July 07 11:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen this is the school that my Granny went to(born 1895)& her siblings(McKimmies & her Greer cousins).We don't have any photos-my Great-uncle burnt the family photos & family bible.
It's still there although I think rebuilt.Yet another connection between our families although we aren't related!
Didn't realise you could have the admission list where/how?Gavinburn is in Old Kilpatrick by the way not Clydebank.Where were they living when they attended?It might be that by the time your G-Grandfather went to school they had moved.I think the children came from Old Kilpatrick,Bowling & Duntocher as well.No motorway then just farm land to walk through-the Glen which is still there & down through the Village.
Waddell-Perthshire,Dollar,Clydebank,Glasgow & USA.
Scott -Roxb,Midlothian.
McKimmies-Aberdeenshire,Banff,Morayshire,Niagara&NewJersey.Old Kilpatrick.
Lindley,Veitch-Canada.
Veitch-Peebles,Crawfordjohn,Midlothian.
Ross,Torrance,Brown,McDowall.
Greer/Simpson/Jenkins-Old Kilpatrick& Camelon Falkirk,Abbey/Neilston
Leitch-Abbey Parish.
Kerr/Carr.
Breakenridge/Liddell-Temple Midlothian.
Aitchison
Fraser/Barron/Coutts/Singer.
Waddell-USA after 1923.
McFarlanes-Midlothian/Australia.

Offline pettsy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 July 07 11:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Joette,
Another link, I am sure our families were friends, maybe as children at school.

Yes I received the admissions list this morning for the three eldest children.
Daniel & John Munn started on 17th/8/1891
And Margaret Munn29th/8/1892.
My g grandfather wasn't born until 1894.
I will have to wait until the 1911 census comes out to try and find out where the other siblings went to school.Oh it says on the admissions list they were living in Stewarts Land OK, and for Margaret OK.

Have you found any sites with old pictures of the school?

Why did he burn the family bible and photo's   :o

Munn New Jersey and Oz

Offline joette

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 03 July 07 12:59 BST (UK) »
My G-Uncle was having a clear out one day & burned the lot.He was the only surviving son.My Granny almost had a fit but they were close so they didn't fall out.
Bet your G-Grandpa & my Granny knew each other at school it must be the Munns she talked about I always assumed it was the ones who lived in Faifley near us :-[
So they lived in OK until WW1 it looks like what did your GGreat-Grandfather do?If he worked in Singers or for the Clyde Trust that's another connection!
Oh how I wish Granny was still around the stories she could tell.Memory like a computer & she could recite everbodies buisness & their family trees.
I daren't tell her who was in my Ward when I was nursing-she would be telling me all sorts of indiscretions about their families-I guess she had outlived those who could reveal hers!!
Scott -Roxb,Midlothian.
Lindley,Veitch-Canada.
Leitch-Abbey Parish.
Kerr/Carr.
Aitchison
Waddell-USA after 1923.

Offline pettsy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 03 July 07 13:20 BST (UK) »
Oh what a shame, but a lot of people did that in those days.  :-\
I suppose they didn't think of us budding genealogists wanting to have a look.

Great Grandfather worked in the Cabinet Room at Singers.
Daniel and John Munn were Sewing Machine shuttle makers there.
Their fatherwas a Gardener, but at one time he had a shop.
Where I have no idea, I would love to find out.
My Nan's sister told me last month, that Nan went there to see it, but she can't remember where it is. He was a Grocer then.

In 1901 the family were living at 44, NEW STREET, OK Duntocher.
Any idea what school they would have gone too?

She sounds a great character you Granny.
When was she born? She probably knew g grandads sisters Margaret & Jessie.
Munn New Jersey and Oz

Offline joette

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 03 July 07 14:56 BST (UK) »
Granny was born in 1895 Rosanna Fraser McKimmie.She worked in Singers during WW1 when it was making munitions as did her Father William Trail McKimmie although he worked there from about 1889 onwards. Some of her siblings worked there at various times.Most people in the area worked in Singers or the shipyards.Duntocher was like OK a farming area although their was the Mill at Mill Dam Rd which then became a bakery. Granny had strong connections with Duntocher-an Uncle who had a pub-before his "wife drank him out of it"there.Her first child's Father came from there & his parents had a fruit shop there.
I would have thought the children would have carried on at Gaviburn because I don't know if there was a public school in Duntocher-remember RC/other religions went to different schools then(still do in Scotland).Maybe Hardgate had a school.
I think New Street is at the Hardgate end of Duntocher.
Yes families were often divided if a child"turned".My GGGreat-Granny is alleged to have told the messenger that her sister could"die as she lived a Catholic" & that "she would not be coming to her death-bed" I cannot find a sister that fits the bill yet so maybe just a family tale but it was far from uncommon for families to be estranged over religion.Luckily as we are all diverse faiths in mine we all get along so well!!
Scott -Roxb,Midlothian.
Lindley,Veitch-Canada.
Leitch-Abbey Parish.
Kerr/Carr.
Aitchison
Waddell-USA after 1923.

Offline pettsy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 03 July 07 15:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Joette
I have an old map here from pre Blitz of Clydebank, and I have found New Street, it is off Dumbarton road, near a Football club, and not far from Golden Hill Park.
There are two schools on the map in the area, one looks like it is on Chapel Rd the other off Dunn St.
i am not sure if they are RC schools or not.
There is a primary school by Stewarts Drive, and also AUCHENTOSHAN Sch off Great Western Rd.

Munn New Jersey and Oz