Author Topic: GRAY - Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire, England  (Read 2899 times)

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
Re: GRAY - Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire, England
« Reply #9 on: Monday 16 July 07 14:59 BST (UK) »
My Grays in Buckinghamshire descend from Jonathan Gray who was born in Upton cum Chalvey around 1760 and the family was still in the area in 1850.  In particular I have details of the families of his grandsons Richard (1825) and James (1821) and his grand daughter Mary Ann (1827) who married my wife's great grand father Henry Johnson.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cguil_uk

• RootsChat Member
  • Molyneux Family of S Lancashire, England
    • View Profile
Re: GRAY - Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire, England
« Reply #10 on: Monday 16 July 07 15:27 BST (UK) »
My Grays in Buckinghamshire descend from Jonathan Gray who was born in Upton cum Chalvey around 1760 and the family was still in the area in 1850.  In particular I have details of the families of his grandsons Richard (1825) and James (1821) and his grand daughter Mary Ann (1827) who married my wife's great grand father Henry Johnson.

David

Hi David

This is my Brother in Law's Family I am researching - at his request. His lot seem to have come from the Wycombe & Lane End area. I have yet to find anyone, you list above, on his tree.

If you, or anyone else, would like to see my progress, I have a tree set up on my Ancestry account (Clive_Molyneux).

Regards

Clive
I am researching the family named Molyneux (or possibly Molineux, Molineaux and Molyneaux (or with 2'LL's or without the 'X')), of South East Lancashire (Wigan, Pemberton and Ormskirk area), England.

Also researching; Fairhurst, Lancaster (Lancaster-Fairhurst), Griffith and Hayden (Haydon)

Offline cguil_uk

• RootsChat Member
  • Molyneux Family of S Lancashire, England
    • View Profile
A GRAY Mystery
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 21 July 07 14:45 BST (UK) »

Frederick Ellis Gray b. 30 Jul 1911 Wycombe. m. (Ivy) Constance May Coulson 08 May 1937 Brighton.

I have found his Father! - Also Frederick Ellis Gray b. Abt. 1885 Wycombe, Buckinghamshire m.  Mar 1907 Agnes Alice Montague.

Now for the Interesting bit!

On the Census - his 'father' is listed as Walter E Ellis b. Abt 1854 and Mother is Mary Gray b. Abt 1855
The 1891 Census shows Frederick Gray Adopted son age 6
The 1901 Census shows Frederick Ellis Son age 16
Yet on Frederick's Marriage certificate he is Frederick Ellis Gray - It is definitely the correct certificate because Walter's Brother is shown as a witness on the certificate. Walter's name, however, is not shown as the father - the entry is blank.

This is getting really interesting.

Walter Ellis m. Mary Gray 25 May 1874 Wycombe Bucks.
Frederick Gray was born 4th December 1884 Wycombe Bucks. but the mother was listed as Sarah not Mary. There were no other Fred Grays around this time or place.
Mary Signed her marriage certificate but Sarah made a 'mark' on the birth certificate and no father was listed.

On the England Census I found

1861 England Census
West Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, England

Emma Gray 32  b. abt 1829
Fredrick Gray 4 b. abt  1857
George Gray 9  b. abt 1852
Mary Gray 6  b. abt 1855
Samuel Gray 33 b. abt  1828

1871 England Census
High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, England

Annie Gray 6  b. abt 1865
Emma Gray 40  b. abt 1831
Fanny Gray 3  b. abt 1868
Frederick Gray 14  b. abt 1857
Polly Gray 16  b. abt 1855
Samuel Gray 44  b. abt 1827
Sarah Gray 8  b. abt 1863

1891 England Census
West Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, England

Emma Gray 66  b. abt 1825
Samuel Gray 63  b. abt 1828
Sarah Gray 28  b. abt 1863

Could Mary have adopted Sarah's child?
How come Sarah seems to have been illiterate and Mary not?
Is Polly Mary's twin or Mary's Nickname?
Are these different families?

Comments welcome
I am researching the family named Molyneux (or possibly Molineux, Molineaux and Molyneaux (or with 2'LL's or without the 'X')), of South East Lancashire (Wigan, Pemberton and Ormskirk area), England.

Also researching; Fairhurst, Lancaster (Lancaster-Fairhurst), Griffith and Hayden (Haydon)