Author Topic: CAMPBELL & FOX - Derrylard  (Read 1896 times)

Offline bates

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
CAMPBELL & FOX - Derrylard
« on: Saturday 30 June 07 10:13 BST (UK) »
I am looking for information on the following family:

George Campbell (b1822)
Mary (nee Fox)

Jane(b1841)
Francis(b1842)
Susanne (b1844)
John (b1846)
George (b1849)
Sarah (b1851)
Susannah (b1855)

I would like to hear from anyone connected with this family.

Tanya
bates (marsworth and drayton parslow) campbell (derrylard and loughgall) connell (paisley) cunningham (west lothian) macauley (liverpool, accrington and bacup) templeman (somerset)

Offline HistoryTeam

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: CAMPBELL & FOX - Derrylard
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 March 08 20:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tanya,

The 'George' Campbell in your data caught my attention. My research so far seems to indicate that 'George' doesn't seem to be too common a Christian name among the Campbells. In fact it appears only once in my Family Tree.

So far I have traced my Campbells to Shannaghan (near Katesbridge - I estimate about 25 miles from Derrylard). My great grandfather John Campbell (son of George Campbell) was 'full age' when he married Harriet Jane Bingham from Moneyslane in 1878. If 'full age' was 32 this might match our John Campbells. Have you any additional information that might confirm or disprove this? I have no additional information about my George Campbell.

Thanks

John

Offline bates

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 March 08 05:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi John

well what else can I tell you.

I am from the daughter Susannah (or Susan) who came to Australian in 1874.  She has on her Australian marriage certificate that her father George was a Farmer and that she was born in Armagh.  On her Australian death certificate it says that her father George was a Fisherman and that she was born in Derrylard Armagh.  Interestingly she named her second son George after her father - he was my great grandfather. 

John and Susannah's brother George went to New York.  He went there in 1873.  I believe that he was born/ baptised in an area called Collumbkille.  He and his wife had children including John, Mary and George. 

The sibling Francis may or maynot have gone to NY also. 

Personally I would guess that full age is anything over 21. 

THe only other info I believe to be true about George and Mary is that they were married in 1840. 

So where did your John Campbell live?  Did he stay in Armagh or head overseas? 

tanya

ps just thought - my susannah was very short, had a roundish face and dark hair - any family likeness?
bates (marsworth and drayton parslow) campbell (derrylard and loughgall) connell (paisley) cunningham (west lothian) macauley (liverpool, accrington and bacup) templeman (somerset)

Offline HistoryTeam

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 March 08 23:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply Tanya.

Yes, I think you are right - 'full age' is 21+. 'Residence at time of marriage' is given as Shannaghan in one source and Newry in another (a map on Ros Davies' website indicates Shannaghan to be a detached townland of Newry Parish). His father George Campbell's profession is given as a Carpenter. The place of marriage is the Registrars Office in the Town of Banbridge and the witnesses were James Maxwell Mechan and Mary Maxwell.

This would seem to suggest that my George Campbell was living at Shannaghan Down when his son John was married and not Derrylard Armagh. Also, he was a carpenter rather than a farmer or fisherman. I have no details of the existence of siblings of John.

One of John's children - David (my grandfather) - was born at Shannaghan in 1880 (I believe he was their first child). John, Harriet and family were in Belfast by 1907 but I don't know exactly when this move took place.

Unfortunately and disappointingly Tanya, it doesn't look hopeful to me that our collective data points to a link between our two Campbells.

Incidentally, I did notice that your George Campbell of Derrylard is mentioned in 'Griffiths Valuation of Ireland'.

John