Author Topic: CONNELL - Paisley  (Read 4257 times)

Offline bates

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
CONNELL - Paisley
« on: Saturday 30 June 07 10:23 BST (UK) »
I am looking for information on John CONNELL (1733?)father of William CONNELL born 1772 Paisley Renfrew married 3 October 1797 Paisley to Janet McFARLANE.

I have no other siblings for William, and judging by dates John would have been 39? when William was born, potientially making him one of the youngest children???

Any suggestions of where to begin looking?

with thanks,
Tanya
bates (marsworth and drayton parslow) campbell (derrylard and loughgall) connell (paisley) cunningham (west lothian) macauley (liverpool, accrington and bacup) templeman (somerset)

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Truth will out! (Finding it another matter!)
    • View Profile
Re: CONNELL - Paisley
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 June 07 17:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Tanya

I've had a look on Scotland's People  & IGI for a John Connell born between 1725 and 1740 and nothing there am afraid. This is probably because his family were not Established Church of Scotland.

You could try the National Archives Scotland who do hold some non conformist records but if my memory serves me right they don;t go that far back for Paisley - I have a similar problem with my lot who are also from the town.

Sorry can't be of more help!

Ann
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-

Offline bates

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 July 07 08:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Ann
Thankyou for your help. 

Could it be that John may have moved to Paisley from somewhere? The somewhere else I am thinking may have been Lanarkshire. 

When you say that there was no John Connell do you mean only in that area or for the whole of Scotland?

again, many thanks,
tanya
bates (marsworth and drayton parslow) campbell (derrylard and loughgall) connell (paisley) cunningham (west lothian) macauley (liverpool, accrington and bacup) templeman (somerset)

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Truth will out! (Finding it another matter!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 July 07 17:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Tanya

It is eantirely possible that he could have moved but the search I did was for Scotland as a whole - expanded it cos got nothing for Paisley.

Ann
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-

Offline bates

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 August 07 03:49 BST (UK) »
Well perhaps I don't have the correct information - Maybe John isn't William's father.

Can anyone confirm for me the birth/baptism of

William Connell b: 1772 Paisley

or william's marriage
to Janet McFarlane m: 3 October 1797 Paisley.

perhaps the parish records for the birth/baptism and marriage may be able to clarify for me?

many thanks to the person who replies  ;)
tanya

Offline M.R. Dien

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 August 07 08:01 BST (UK) »
The census records have several William Connells living in Renfrewshire born either in the County or in Ireland .... 2 of those have wives named Janet.The most likely is a 72 yr old listed in 1851 as living in lochwinnoch but born in galston,Ayrshire.
However the only one who seems to be listed for Paisley itself is in 1841 and is listed as Willm Connell aged 70 at 4 Smiths Street Paisley and occupation is given as Cotton Hand loom Weaver. Also present is an 8 yr old Willm Connell.

A quick check of other records fails to throw up any confirmation of Williams birth/baptism/christening or his marriage but as was said already if they were non conformist the records have not yet been  made fully available. (Paisley was one of the towns at the forefront of church rebellions/schisms)
~M~

Offline bates

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 August 07 08:18 BST (UK) »
thankyou for your reply Myrrdin

If I assume the birthdate I have is wrong and that he is born in 1779 (+72 = 1851) I guess that it is still possible that he married 3 October 1797 in paisley (aged 18)

and yes the family were loomers, spinners and weavers in many of the generations

the family who moved here to australia were what we know as presbyterians.  The line of Connells I come from (David Connell married Christina Stewart 7 June 1872 South CHurch Stonefield Paisley) does this give you any indication???

cheers
Tanya

Offline M.R. Dien

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 11 August 07 08:23 BST (UK) »
It may be worth checking even if its only to rule him out - although it lists his occupation as joiner which would seem to rule him out at the moment. the "Willm Connell" mentioned in 1841 is possibly a better bet.

were what we know as presbyterians.

Presbyterian simply refers to the manner of government of the church.

Unfortunately the Church in Scotland began fracturing around 1733 with breakaway groups forming their own churches and some subsequently rejoining the main Church of Scotland while others merged to form larger groups of their own . As yet  the only records which have been made fully available (online anyway) are those for the main Church of Scotland.

There are ruins of a building in paisley Town centre which was claimed to be the centre of  a breakaway church formed by weavers.
~M~

Offline bates

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 11 August 07 08:34 BST (UK) »
the church may be St Andrews's Church, Paisley, (The Free South) 1846 - 1946

I have printed out all connells in the 1841 Census around Paisley.

will continue to look
thanks
tanya