Author Topic: Duffy of Carrickmacross  (Read 7482 times)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Duffy of Carrickmacross
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 26 May 19 18:28 BST (UK) »
You can try the likes of this for Marriages of children

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 26 May 19 18:31 BST (UK) »
Bernard J Duffy in 1901 Irish Census, living with his uncles.
Peter McEntegart was the informant for the death of his sister, Mary Ann Duffy.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01nun/

KG
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 26 May 19 18:31 BST (UK) »
James Joseph Duffy was my grandfather, if you reply i can fill you in more.

Are people wasting their time looking for him in Ireland??

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 26 May 19 20:00 BST (UK) »
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 26 May 19 20:09 BST (UK) »
The poor mite died at one month  :(
Cause of death: debility at death being premature.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1884/06325/4814105.pdf

KG

Offline AGrieve

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 28 May 19 22:04 BST (UK) »
My grandfather was called James Joseph Duffy and married Elizabeth Jordan in Castleblayney in 1923.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1923/09191/5324386.pdf

They then moved to Scotland, and he died just months before a son also called James Joseph Duffy in 1937.

https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/record-results?search_type=people&dl_cat=statutory&dl_rec=statutory-deaths&surname=Duffy&surname_so=exact&forename=James&forename_so=starts&other_surname_so=exact&mmsurname_so=exact&sex=M&from_year=1937&to_year=1937&birth_year_range=1&county=GLASGOW%20CITY&record_type=stat_deaths

The only missing piece is the fact that his mother was recorded as a Catherine O'Brien on the death certificate. But we cannot find any records of a person in relation to marriages/birth/death in Ireland in the relevant period. Also the date of birth of this James Joseph matches exactly with our records

I know that the marriage certificate is correct but this family is the closest match in the area which we can find for before then. We have also had stories from my 85 year old mother (who's never seen her father) that there was an English connection which may be linked here, with Anne Develin, staying with this family at the time of the 1901 census. My mother also said that he had a sister called Mary, who also lived by this time in Glasgow with 1 son - which matches this family also.

We have went through the census in Monaghan in 1901/11 and cannot find records of a Catherine Duffy with a matching family record.

The father of the James Joseph born in 1898 was also recorded as James Joseph (which matches) and in the death certificate of Elizabeth Jordan (from the 1980s) James Joseph is recorded as a Musician, which may possibly be linked with Bernard Duffy's lifetime in theater.

This may be of help to us both, please let me know what you think.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 28 May 19 23:20 BST (UK) »
Yes, Anne Develin is there with them on Census!

The father of the James Joseph born in 1898 was also recorded as James Joseph....  but why not look at Cert to see what Mothers' name was??

The father is a Widower on 1911 Census, you know her name from birth cert and census... there is probably a death cert for her too if you just amend search to Duffy   Carrickmacross put in year rance and tick Deaths!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 28 May 19 23:36 BST (UK) »
Looking at all the information on 1911 census you also see father was married twice and that Anne Develin was born in England!

You went through the census in Monaghan in 1901/11 and cannot find records of a Catherine Duffy with a matching family record.... simply because her name (which is on Birth Cert ) clearly wasn't Catherine!

Offline Mr J T Arthur

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 31 May 19 21:23 BST (UK) »
I have comprehensively researched this family up to 1912 and have all the certificates. James Joseph Duffy junior's mother Ann Duffy was born Sunderland, her mother was Ann Martin born Leons Beg Magheracloone. I was hoping to find out what happened to the three orphaned children after James Joseph Duffy senior died in a private Dublin hospital. I have details of Bernard Duffy's marriage in Dublin where he lived and his involvement with the Abbey Theatre after attending Trinity Collage. I also managed to pick up an original copy of his book Oriel partly set in Carrickmacross.