Author Topic: Nancy Gilbanks/Thomas Nicholson  (Read 1804 times)

Offline Dawn Beaton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Nancy Gilbanks/Thomas Nicholson
« on: Monday 02 July 07 04:56 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find out information about the family of Thomas Nicholson and Nancy Gilbanks.  If my research is going in the right direction I believe that these two people are my GGGG Grandparents.  My LDS research shows they had  children Mary Anne, (Feb 1, 1818), Isabella and Sarah in Cumberland, England.  Mary Anne married George Pease, (who was from Patrick Brompton, England) in 1836 in Canada.  They travelled together on the same boat.  My estimation is that they migrated to Canada in 1835.  Isabella marries a few years later to a John Hornby.  The marriage information is part of the Canadian Collection of Marriage Bonds.  Mary and George go on to name their children, Thomas, Nancy, Isabell, Sarah, Mary, Richard, James, Joseph, Ann and George.  If any one has information to confirm that I am heading in the right direction and they have information about Thomas and Nancy I would be thrilled.

Thanks,  Dawn

Offline JosiahS

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Nancy Gilbanks/Thomas Nicholson
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 July 07 14:17 BST (UK) »
I've found a marriage for Thomas Nicholson and Ann Gilbanks in Wilberfoss, Yorkshire, but it is on 23 Nov 1822.  Is it possible the earlier children are from a different marriage? Or is this the wrong couple?

Ashley
DU: Jones, Miller, Laverick, Orwin, Burn, Finlay, Robson, Robinson, Jobling, Fenwick, Spoor, Saunders, Billingsley, Appleby
NB: Pickard, Gilchrist, Curry, Heron, Thompson, Bell, Henderson, Aynsley
CU: Bell, Armstrong, Parker
SY: Saunders, Bartlett, Ellis
SX: Bartlett, Cager
BK: Saunders
NY: Miller (Swaledale), Raw
ALL CENSUS INFORMATION CONTAINED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT FROM www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JosiahS

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 July 07 14:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Dawn

I just had another look around and there is another marriage I think you might look at.

On the IGI there is a marriage in Matterdale between a Nancy Gilbanks and a JOSEPH Nicholson in 1798.  I think you should try to get a view of the original register for this one as the man's name may have been mis-transcribed.

Matterdale is just over the hill from Keswick and Crossthwaite - about 6 miles as the crow flies.

Mistakes on the IGI are not uncommon!

Ashley
DU: Jones, Miller, Laverick, Orwin, Burn, Finlay, Robson, Robinson, Jobling, Fenwick, Spoor, Saunders, Billingsley, Appleby
NB: Pickard, Gilchrist, Curry, Heron, Thompson, Bell, Henderson, Aynsley
CU: Bell, Armstrong, Parker
SY: Saunders, Bartlett, Ellis
SX: Bartlett, Cager
BK: Saunders
NY: Miller (Swaledale), Raw
ALL CENSUS INFORMATION CONTAINED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT FROM www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RossGillbanks

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 31 October 21 12:54 GMT (UK) »
Although this is an old post, I would add Nancy is part of my tree also, she married a Joesph Nicholson as mentioned above. I very much doubt I will get a reply but I thought I would add this