Author Topic: QLD/NSW Lookup please  (Read 10098 times)

Offline ajcarroll

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: QLD/NSW Lookup please
« Reply #9 on: Friday 06 July 07 05:11 BST (UK) »
Wow thanks Ruskie.

There is some new info on there which is great!! I was this very minute researching and trying to find some of these things. I am so happy.

I have just put in a request for a couple of documents I found for Irvin Sydney Crow and Ernest Wilfred Crow. I think they might be brothers. I might have to research the ship Dorunda and find out if Ernest came over as well on the same ship!

Thank you for al of your help.

Andrea  ;)
Casey, Carroll, Harrison, Standing, Renfrew, Greenhill, McTavish, Crow, Agnew, Merrion, Needs, Goddard, Matthews, Buffham, Falloon, Mills, Chamberlain, Donoghue,

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 06 July 07 05:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Andrea,

Glad to be of help. In case it may be useful, many of my rellies came out in dribs and drabs eg. one came out with a couple of brothers, a couple of years later the parents and younger sisters came out - that kind of thing. Those were the only Crows on the Dorunda that trip. They appear to be related. Ernest may have come out on another ship at a different time. There were many ships going to and fro continually from Britain to Australia and back again.

Once you get your info organised just give me a yell if you need more look-ups.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 06 July 07 06:19 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Not sure what documents you refer to that you have applied for.
Lots on NAA about their inventions and this

http://fhr.slq.qld.gov.au/committees2/cr_cu.htm

which tells a little of each of the 2
Crowes you mention and one other named JOHN Crowe..  I suspect a connection in John as his business with the committee is very similar to Irving Sidney's

Ernest's business is particularly interesting as he a 'Kanaka Agent'  These were islanders brought in to work with the sugar-cane.  His 'inventions' also seem to be about the cane industry.
Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Cazay

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 06 July 07 14:35 BST (UK) »
1871 census shows - Theddlethorpe All Saints Lincolnshire

Robert Crow 41 Coal Agent
Elizabeth 39
Clara 10
Alfred E 8
Albert D 7
Irvin S 6
Ernest W 4
Edith S 2
Ada 7 days

They were all born in Theddlethorpe

Cazay
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Essex; Livermore, Barker  Norfolk; Wood, Lack, Spurgeon, Long Wiltshire; Ricketts, Sealey, Dew  Lincs; Drage  Cumberland; McNicol, Bowman  Lancashire; Brogden, Davis

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 06 July 07 14:41 BST (UK) »
It does seem like an odd combination of family members taking the trip on the Dorunda - Irvin, and two sisters. Perhaps there were already some family members in Australia.

Offline Cazay

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 06 July 07 14:50 BST (UK) »
Irvin is not with the family in 1881 and they now have Herbert Crow 7 and H A Bertie Crow 4, no sign of a John

Cazay

Essex; Livermore, Barker  Norfolk; Wood, Lack, Spurgeon, Long Wiltshire; Ricketts, Sealey, Dew  Lincs; Drage  Cumberland; McNicol, Bowman  Lancashire; Brogden, Davis

Offline Cazay

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 06 July 07 15:58 BST (UK) »
Just checking Qld immigration
http://www.archives.qld.gov.au/research/indexes.asp

Robert 54
Eliza 52
Ada 13
Herbert 11
Harold 8

arrived on the Dacca 9 March 1886 so the older children arrived the previous year

Cazay

Offline ajcarroll

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 09 July 07 01:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone

Thanks for all of your help. I think they definately did come out in dribs and drabs. This means that Albert and Ernest came out on a different boat also. I think I may have found Albert on the Almora. And if this is correct he was the first to arrive in 4 Dec 1883.
I def know that Albert came out as he was married in 1897 to Mary Sommerville McKenzie in QLD.
I cannot seem to find good ol' Ernest though.  ::)

I might try and get access to the business's that Ernest and Irving were involved in as on one of the certificates that I have it states that Irvin is a hotelkeeper. It all looks VERY interesting though.

Cheers
Andrea  8)
Casey, Carroll, Harrison, Standing, Renfrew, Greenhill, McTavish, Crow, Agnew, Merrion, Needs, Goddard, Matthews, Buffham, Falloon, Mills, Chamberlain, Donoghue,

Offline blur

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 29 March 11 07:32 BST (UK) »
hello to all you Crow researchers . i am a great grand nephew of irving sydney crow's wife Sarah Janson.He was known as Syd within the Janson family and was well known in the Gladstone Queensland district being apparently quite well off. He did have several hotels among other interests.Wilfred Crow was most certainly related and spent a large part of his life in Bundaberg Queensland. Blackbirding has never been mentioned in family folklore but who knows? Wilf Crow is said to have developed Bundabergs first town swimming pool. It was salt water and flushed and filled by the tide.The Grand Hotel in Bundaberg was [according to my Mother] owned by the Crow Family as well.Syd Crow was also a Calliope shire councillor for many years.I hope this info was helpful to you.Cheers Baz a cousin of cousin.
I am sorry but my email address is not working