Author Topic: Jane ARTHUR - anyone else come across her?  (Read 11288 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Jane Arthur - anyone else come across her?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 26 April 11 14:56 BST (UK) »
And, from transcription of IGI extracted records Miles LAKE, born 13 August 1830, baptised 5 September 1830, at Windsor, NSW... a son to Miles and Jane LAKE (noting no nee name shown).

I note that the above is also found at https://www.familysearch.org/

http://www.hawkesburyhistory.org.au/carol/stmatt.html

EDIT TO ADD ...  John Piper, some bio material here, of course needs validating.
http://adbonline.anu.edu.au/biogs/A020295b.htm

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 26 April 11 15:12 BST (UK) »
Some thoughts

Have you considered that
perhaps the record of Jane's baptism has not survived? 
perhaps her father's name was not recorded?
perhaps her surname was not Arthur ... could it be the given name of her father?
perhaps her baptism can be found on one of the reels at the NSW State Library in Macquarie St Sydney ... I have used these ... in particular the ones with illegitimate births pre 1810 ...  it was very helpful, noting both parents, although the online index at NSW BDM does not list any given name for the baby's father, and gives an odd spelling for the mother's surname. 

Also, I agree that the Early Church Records that are on certificates from NSWBDM are typed up, so in my opinion,  the better (cheaper/quicker eg email as pdf v snail mail) option is a transcript from official transcribers
http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/familyHistory/howToTraceYouFamTree.htm#TranscriptionAgent

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 26 April 11 15:29 BST (UK) »
I can see images of the m.c. and a d.c. at a submitted public tree on a commercial site.

m.c. by banns 6 Dec 1824, St Matthews C of E, Windsor (cert issued 1971, someone searching for many years)
3462, vol 3

d.c. shows d o d as 17 Oct 1848 at age 70, domestic servant, Maitland  (cert issued 1988 I can read Vol 33) this matches up with online ref  V18481082 33B/1848 interestingly both online index and the image is in name of Jane Arthur ... so perhaps the d.c. is for Mrs Miles's mother?

Cheers,  JM

Offline kaye francis

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 27 April 11 00:18 BST (UK) »
this is wonderful material. i have much follow-up work to do.Jane and Lohn Lindsay were also related to me.
 the only Arthur i have been able to find anything o is an Alex Arthur who arrived the year Jane was born.
i am aware of the habit of using father's christian name to givea  child a name.
also much of the information i have is tying up with much of the above.
Jane was about 20 years Milesjunior and i believe she married the man "who stood up for Miles" at the wedding.
there is a connection to the Eather family. i have not had the chance yo follow that up yet.
i will be back after following these links.

Online judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jane ARTHUR - anyone else come across her?
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 27 April 11 02:01 BST (UK) »
Lots of info on those trees.  ;D  I do think you are right JM with that death of 70year-old Jane LAKE in 1848 being this Jane's mother - or stepmother.  (There is evidence in those trees for Jane's father marrying a Jane MORRIS in 1820.  This may be a legitimisation of Jane's parents' marriage or another Jane altogether  ???)

Here is the ref for the Jane LAKE/John LINDSAY marriage notice in 1869, in case you hadn't seen it.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/13191450

He is from Dubbo and she is the daughter of James LAKE of Kurrajong, Nth Richmond.

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 27 April 11 02:48 BST (UK) »
Gov Macquarie sought to have cohabiting couples marry partly to legitimise their offspring so It would be sensible to look at State Library for these marriages particularly if marriage was not in Sydney Town by Rev Cowper.... clue .... look for TRANSMITTED church records .... MUTCH index found most but not all .....  Cheers JM

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 27 April 11 16:25 BST (UK) »

James., Thomas and Miles Lake with parents Miles and Jane are on orphanage record, admitted 21 June 1833 which would fit with father Miles dying in 1832 -

http://srwww.records.nsw.gov.au/indexes/searchhits.aspx?table=Orphan%20Schools&id=24&frm=1&query=Surname:lake

When I have seen these records they have details of when discharged, and details of employer sent to etc. Might give you some clues family after 1833.

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 28 April 11 03:39 BST (UK) »
33/227
21 June 1833

The humble petition of Jane LAKE wife of the late Miles LAKE of Windsor
Sheweth that the said James, Thomas and Miles are the children of the said Miles LAKE
That the said Jane LAKE obtains her livlihood by washing and that she has two other children, Henry a boy aged 10 years, and Sarah aged 8 months.

Jane signs as Jane ARTHUR, this is crossed out and she signs again as Jane LAKE.

Three certified copies of the children's baptisms are included:

(no year) James, born 29 Sep, bap. 23 Oct, Father's occupation: Baker, Abode: Windsor.
1828, Thomas, born 28 Jan, bap. 17 Feb, Father's occupation: Baker, Abode: Windsor
1830, Miles, born 6 Aug, bap. 5 Sep, Father's occupation: Baker, Abode: Windsor

Jane MORRIS who married Alexander ARTHUR was transported on the Indespensible in 1809, so she cannot be the mother of Jane.  Jane MORRIS/ARTHUR was aged 50 on the 1828 census, so it is likely to be her death in 1848.

Debra  :)

Online judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 28 April 11 06:44 BST (UK) »
Great finds, Debra and Wivenhoe!

What a sad situation - three taken into care and two others still to feed and look after.

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk