Author Topic: Where are the boundaries of my tree?  (Read 1996 times)

Offline spongebob

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Where are the boundaries of my tree?
« on: Monday 02 July 07 16:41 BST (UK) »
Just restarted my tree and beginning to find a lot of people, but unsure as to who to include. I am concentrating on my Dad's side at the moment, and for example I have his Grandad and Grandmother - from there I have got his G-Grandad, but do I branch up his Grandmothers family?

Also when you get up to a certain level do you then come back down? That is to say if I find a female direct relative and she marries someone with a previous family do I add them?

Bit confused! ???
Charlewood - Ireland, Antrim, Liverpool, Leeds
MacDonald - Glasgow, Lanark
Young - Edinburgh
Douglass - Ireland, Antrim
Flisher - Sandgate, Lydd

Online Old Bristolian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stephen Bumstead 1844-1903
    • View Profile
Re: Where are the boundaries of my tree?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 July 07 16:58 BST (UK) »
Its all a question of preference I guess. I've researched all my lines & my wife's, but its time consuming (& costly) and you can take your eye off the ball on occasion and miss something obvious because you didn't concentrate enough.
On the other hand, if one line dries up, there's lots more to do elswhere until you eventually come back to find another PT transcribed & hey presto!
I have sometimes gone into "side" branches as you mention if there seems enough interest - one such in my line I didn't notice until studying the census records I saw the same family as neighbours, even after a change of address - it turned out to be the step-son of my ancestor & his family

Steve
Bumstead - London, Suffolk
Plant, Woolnough, Wase, Suffolk
Flexney, Godfrey, Burson, Hobby -  Oxfordshire
Street, Mitchell - Gloucestershire
Horwood, Heale Drew - Bristol
Gibbs, Gait, Noyes, Peters, Padfield, Board, York, Rogers, Horler, Heale, Emery, Clavey, Mogg, - Somerset
Fook, Snell - Devon
M(a)cDonald, Yuell, Gollan, McKenzie - Rosshire
McLennan, Mackintosh - Inverness
Williams, Jones - Angelsey & Caernarvon
Campbell, McMartin, McLellan, McKercher, Perthshire

Offline BettyofKent

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 July 07 16:59 BST (UK) »
It's your tree spongebob, you can go where you like.
Some people just follow their direct ancestors. I've gone back to 1841, & I'm coming back down following the siblings of my direct ancestors.  If I find someone married to someone who has a family from a previous marriage, I include the children if they are living as a family on a census, but I don't follow them once they leave home.
The main thing is to do what you are happy with & enjoy the hunt :)

Betty
KENT:
Stutely - Wittersham & Stone
Padgham - Wittersham
Wanstall - Northbourne
Taylor - Ringwould & Ash
Skinner - Deal
Bushell - Walmer
Spain - Walmer
Also
Schloss - Poland, Nottingham, Massachusetts & New Zealand.
Cohen - Birmingham

"Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov."

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 July 07 17:55 BST (UK) »
I tend only to add..

Siblings of direct ancestors.
   I do pencil in their spouses and first generation kids, but I don't buy certs for them.

When any of mine  marries a widow/widower, I include first kids of the previous marraige
   (but take them no further).

As much as anything it means you have a ready-reference of who is a 'cousin'.
Can be terribly useful in census to confirm you are looking at the right mob.

Pauline

All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I will find them eventually!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 July 07 21:45 BST (UK) »
I follow any clues I get - you never know when you might find something new - I found a direct ancestor recently by following a hunch re. an ancestor's possible brother - bingo there was their joint Mum and ancestor's daughter/brother's niece all in the same household - boy was I a happy bunny!
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Tagg, Bowyer (Berkshire/Surrey), Adams, Small, Pratt, Coles, Stevens, Cox (Bucks), Grocott, Slater, Dean, Hill (Staffs/Shropshire), Holloway, Flint, Warrington,Turnbull (London), Montague, Barrett (Herts), Hayward (Kent), Gallon, Knight, Ede, Tribe, Bunn, Northeast, Nicholds (Sussex) Penduck, Pinnell, Yeeles (Gloucs), Johns (Monmouth and Devon), Head (Bath), Tedbury, Bowyer (Somerset), Chapman, Barrett (Herts/Essex)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 02 July 07 21:48 BST (UK) »
I generally tend to collect dates of birth, marriage and death and census returns for siblings but I don't get certificates for them all.  I once added up how much it would cost me to buy all the certificates I wanted at that time and it was over £300. :o :o :o

Basically spongebob go where you like and see what you turn up.  I've found some interesting people who are not on my direct line but I collect information about them if it enhances my experience of family history.

Kerry

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 02 July 07 21:52 BST (UK) »
I agree with what's already been said, but it's worth remembering that sometimes you have to go sideways to get further back.

happy hunting
Bee :)
Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline camlass

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 02 July 07 22:19 BST (UK) »
I must agree with Bee on this you never know where you can find sneeky little cousins hiding. My tree has a lot of cousin/2nd cousin marriages.

I found my Grandfather by accident as a lodger when seeking my Grt Uncle's spouse.
All information is interesting. File it away you never know when it may come in uselfull.

Good hunting ( enjoy yourself)

Pat
Stockwell-Gloucestershire. Finning- anywhere. Howard-Essex/Suffolk. Ford - Dartford. Murray- Ratcliffe and Shadwell Middx

Offline EmPers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 05 July 07 14:42 BST (UK) »
I take a practical point of view. Pick the part of your family you are interested in and work back to the earliest direct ancestor who you can still find on a census, with some of his/her family. From that point I work downwards, researching all the children and children's chilren that I can. Then going back I tend to stick with the direct line and siblings only, principally because it gets a lot harder to trace forwards.

This method also makes it easier to display on a tree, you have a descendancy tree from someone born about 1810, with lots of branches, so you can see where the rest of your clan dispersed to, but you also get levels going back so you can see your origins.

You may find there are several of these families fromthe mid nineteenth century that you want to research, in which case you just have several trees. I consider mine as different families even though they are combined by about 1910. I lbel them according t othe prinicpal family name, even if this isn't entirely accurate (for example I have a CLARK and a CLARKE family, although both families used both surnames interchangably)
WEST, PROCTOR - Fillongley, Warwickshire
CLARK(E) - Aston, Warks & Leicestershire
BETTERIDGE & THORNTON - Oxfordshire
FISHER -  Bromsgrove, Worcs,
SLAUGHTER - Evesham, Worc s & Birmingham