Author Topic: peter bennett  (Read 3473 times)

Offline frankieb

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
peter bennett
« on: Monday 02 July 07 18:57 BST (UK) »
Hi all
Just wondered if anyone could find peter bennett for me in the 1901 census??? I have him aged 35 living with his father and brothers on the 1891 census for bistre in flintshire. His dad was called benjamin-his mother catherine had died in 1886. Peter seemed to be a miner for most of the census so i wondered where hed vanished to for 1901. Maybe he got married but not sure.?? Could anyone out there track him for me please.
thanks.
rfrankie
ps i know his brother benjamin went to treeton in yorkshire-but have lost the other boys and girl after 1891. I know what happened to william cos thats my relative-but i am going to try another track to get some connections. thanks.

Offline Peterej

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: peter bennett
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 July 07 19:33 BST (UK) »
He is with his wife Elizabeth aged 36 born Shropshire Glyn Morl?? at 7 Bryn y gaer Road, Broughton, Brymbo , Nr Wrexham. He is a miner - underground labourer. (he might have been working with my Grandfather!)

Peter
Jones, Edwards, Davies, Owen, Benjamin , Hughes , Roberts,Thomas,Williams, Wynne , Griffiths, Howells, Rowlands etc etc
plus
Thomas,Trewren,Holmes,Thirlwall,Jones again & again
& more

"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline frankieb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 July 07 11:13 BST (UK) »
Hi peter j
thanks for that. Is that the only possible peter bennett though-cos my peter bennett was definately born in bistre -have you got the info from the 1901?? Will check into it-maybe have to get his marriage certificate to this elizabeth-but he was not married in 1891 at the age of 35. He was a miner so that sounds good for this peter bennett. Will do some checking. Thanks very much for that-thanks.
frankie

Offline frankieb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 July 07 11:21 BST (UK) »
Hi again peter
Maybe i gave some wrong information out-i last noticed my peter bennett in the 1891 aged 35 and by then he is still not married according to the census. He was not at home on the 1881-but he was at home on the 1871 census with his family. I will look mwhat message i sent out-but my peter needs to be about 45 in the 1901 census and possibly a miner born flintshire-bistre.
thanks again
frankie

Offline Peterej

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 July 07 12:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Frankie

I'm pretty sure that is him. Aged 46 in 1901 (obviously married a younger woman!!) and born Buckley. There are no others of that age born Flintshire. It is not far from Buckley to Brymbo ( about 8 miles?)

Peter
Jones, Edwards, Davies, Owen, Benjamin , Hughes , Roberts,Thomas,Williams, Wynne , Griffiths, Howells, Rowlands etc etc
plus
& more

Offline frankieb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 03 July 07 12:26 BST (UK) »
Hi again peter
I have just been replying to you on a different thread-getting confused-i'm new on here and i still dont fully understand the formats and where everything is etc. I thought you were saying peter was 36-got confused-you are right-it does sound like its him-thankyou. I have no idea about places in wales-i have been to mold and flintshire and bistre and thats about it. And only for a day. Mainly the bennett men seemed to marry much older women-so peter bucked the trend-good for him. Were he and elizabeth living alone then??? Probably a bit late in those days to start having kids?? He must have married between 1891 and 1901. Wonder where he met her. Whats the difference between an underground miner and an ordinary miner then???
It just sound s funny they emphasised that bit about the underground part.??
So did your grandfather do the same job in the same area??? Maybe they did meet each other??? I think its cos youm mentioned wrexham and it confused me-i did not think of wrexham being so close at all?? I have heard of broughton tho-think we passed through it on way to bistre-would we have?? We were coming from lancashire. thanks for your help-it is appreciated. thanks. If you ever want me to look up anything in the wills index's for chester give me a shout-we have them from 1853-1943 ish where i work-just the index's though. thanks.
frankie

Offline frankieb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 03 July 07 12:29 BST (UK) »
i was saying on a different thread that the jones's get everywhere. Wiilliam jones -another roots chatter has connections to my bennetts distantly through the jones's and you seem to have lots of jones connections-as does my bennetts along with davies, roberts and williams etc. Those names are too common in wales and it makes it hard to track people down. What was your grandfathers name -was he a jones???

Offline Peterej

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 03 July 07 13:00 BST (UK) »
I understand Bistre to be the same as Buckley which is where Peter Bennett was noted as being born. Part of Broughton is on the Mold road just outside Wrexham. That would be the same direction as Buckley to start with.
Not sure about the emphasis with underground - maybe he did not work on the coal face.
Yes my grandad was another Jones. He was described as a 'fireman' at Brynmally pit which is local to Broughton. His father was the mine under manager in 1901.
Finding the wedding cert may give a clue as to how they met.
Thanks for the offer but does it cover part of Wales as all my lot are Welsh plus I do not think they made many wills!

Peter
plus
& more

Offline frankieb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 03 July 07 19:13 BST (UK) »
hi peter
Yes the wills cover wales and most of england-think they just dont cover scotland. I found my benjamin bennett in 1906 with a will-and he had no money really. You'd be surprised at who made a will. He was only a miner as you know. Think his estate was less than 100 pounds-cant remember now -but if you like i will try looking up one for you. They were just proved at chester-dont know why-maybe someone else out there will know more about wills than me-but the people in the index's seem to come from all over the british isles. And i found a william ramsden who died in holywell in the wills index too-but he did come from a slightly more wealthy family but he only had less than 100 pounds estate -perhaps hed spent all his money -but you never know.
regards
frankie