Author Topic: Ancestry.com [Help required]  (Read 833 times)

Offline eirwen

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Ancestry.com [Help required]
« on: Monday 02 July 07 19:45 BST (UK) »
I have ancestry and would like to know how to access entries after 1914. every time I try the information seems to finish about 1914. How do yo access  information after 1914 Is this normal or am I not using the system correctly.

Offline Barbara F

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry.com [Help required]
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 July 07 20:08 BST (UK) »
Hello Eirwen
What entries are you looking for?
If you are looking for birth, marriages or deaths the partial Free BMD images go up to about 1920 now but are not complete.
If those indexes are of no help to you then you need to search the Complete BMD index.  With this index you have to search quarter by quarter - it is not a database.
If this is not clear ask again and I will try to talk you through it.  :)
Barbara
Joy, Larkin, Twort, Baker, Whibley - Brenchley and Horsmonden area Kent
Fewell and Speller - Essex and London
Headington and Bateman - London
Feltwell - Norfolk and London
Lewin - India and NZ
Evan-Thomas - Wales and London
Purser and Cook - Hunts

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 July 07 20:17 BST (UK) »
If you use freeBMD.rootsweb.com which is the source of the ancestry index you will find they usually have progressed a little further with the transcription.  Also from their home page you can find a graphical representation of what has been transcribed.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 July 07 20:25 BST (UK) »
It is important to remember that you do have access to the full BMD index on ancestry (free for all) as well as the FreeBMD one but it is not searchable by name as such.  You have to put in the name you want and then it will show you each page, quarter by quarter.   Just as if you were looking at the books in London.  You click on the quarter and it shows you the image.
Ignore the search box on the home page and scroll down and click the link for BMD and that will give you the option of searching the full indexes.
Also the latest census available is 1901 so again - nothing for 1914 onwards.  I always use ancestry.co.uk and then it does not give hundreds of American records to wade through.
Hope that makes it clearer.
Andrea