Author Topic: Estate records.  (Read 6193 times)

Offline littlegrove

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Estate records.
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 28 October 08 10:40 GMT (UK) »
I live in Dicksgrove. The origional stone wall remains outside my house. My uncle gave me this site, and my granda got the field when there were no heirs left , and so the poor labourers were given  some land.I think the wall is famine era. Ive just started getting interested in Geanology , and would love to know who  lived in Dicksgrove in the past.

Offline janglover

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 28 October 08 15:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Littlegrove,
That is amazing. My ancestors address was Ranalough, Killeentierna. I will try and look for more specific details. I know I have some information on Dicksgrove in my files somewhere. I will have look and get back to you. You are lucky to live in such a nice part of the world. Steeped in history, if only those stone walls could talk !

Best wishes
Jan
Glover,Moriarty,Kennelly,Brosnan all based in Kerry.
Evans and Fitzpatrick in Dublin

Offline ladybird

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Oh golly
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 28 October 08 19:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jan
You mention that some of the Kenmare Estate records are open to public view, do you happen to know which ones please?

My g/grandfather was a Land Steward in Templenoe. He rented land in 1852 (Griffiths Val.) from the Rev. D. Mahoney, so presumably worked for him.

Sylvia
Main names:
Scotland (Travellers) - Townsend/Townsley, Conway, Stewart
Lanark and Stirling - Jeffrey.
Northumberland/ Durham - Newton, Nixon, Sharp, Greaves, Naters
Warwickshire and London - Garfield.
Ireland, Co. Kerry - Marah/Meara/Mara, McClure, Howard, Melvin
Lincs - Smith, Vinter

other offshoots - Berry, Steven, Craig, Atkins, Fuller, , Stewart, Conway, Heather,

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline janglover

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 28 October 08 19:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sylvia,
I'm afraid I don't know which ones. It was a documentary on RTE that covered it, there seemed to be an extensive collection. I will try and rack my rusty old brain and see if the name of the documentary comes back to me.
Sorry I cannot be of more help
Regards
Jan

Offline janglover

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 28 October 08 21:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sylvia,
I remembered the programme. It was part of a series called Hidden History. Here is a link to it on the RTE website. http://www.rte.ie/tv/hiddenhistory/landisgold.html
The documentary concerns W.S.Trench, an infamous Kenmare landlord. The summary on the website states that
All of Trench's documents about the estate and its people are lodged today in Derreen House. This unique collection is the basis of Gerard Lyne's prize winning history study.
Hope this helps
Cheers
Jan

Offline littlegrove

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 29 October 08 20:34 GMT (UK) »
Dearest ,Jan , My ancestors came  from Lyre near Ranalough, Bawnaglanna, and my nan came from over the next village of Scartaglen . My mom says she remembers the  name of Glover, being here , and the name Twiss is no longer in the area My uncle. in the parish.   is the last o Dwyer. Im a busy mum of 3  children and also work night duty, but let me know if theres anway in  which I can help  you in the future, Regards,,  Littlegrove

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 29 October 08 22:08 GMT (UK) »
A few year ago I looked for Meredith estate records but could not find any. I discovered that the Meredith's were in fact renting land from the Earl of Kenmare and in turn subletting to smaller tenants. The majority of the Kenmare papers ( not the same as the Landsdowne estate which is located in the Kenmare area and the subject of the  RTE programme. Trench was the land agent for Lord Landsdowne.) are in the Public Record Office in Belfast and a few in the National Library in Dublin. There are some rental records  in Muckross House in Killarney. I got lists from Muckross of tenants  in the 1870's and 80's for some townlands I was interested in but they didn't  allow access to the records. Their website is http://www.muckross-house.ie/library_files/libintro.htm.
There is a very good history of the records of the Kenmare estate at PRONI link  http://www.proni.gov.uk/ and just search for Kenmare papers.
Hope this is of use.
annclare
Kerrisk, Healy, McGuire, Duggan - Kerry and US
Tuohy/Toohey,Gorman, Purcell, Fanning- Holycross Tipperary