Author Topic: Ancestry Immigration look up please  (Read 2403 times)

Offline Glyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Ancestry Immigration look up please
« on: Wednesday 04 July 07 04:05 BST (UK) »
Can some kind soul look up a William Edward Baraclough who emmigrated from England around 1886 ish who I believe ended up in Brooklyn and had 3 sons.
BARACLOUGH - NUNEATON, DERBYSHIRE, TAMWORTH, COVENTRY, ASTON, HINCKLEY, USA,
BENNS - LONDON, SURREY, YARMOUTH;
BROOKS - BETHNAL GREEN
JONES - STAFFS ,LUDLOW, BIRMINGHAM
SMITH - EAST LONDON
STILLWELL/ STILWELL- LONDON, SURREY, ESSEX

Offline KathMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry Immigration look up please
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 July 07 11:24 BST (UK) »
I believe I have William on the 1900 census, living in Brooklyn. He was born Oct 1864 (I think, it is a little unclear), married to Elizabeth, born March 1870 in Ireland. Her father is Scottish, mother Irish. She came in 1888. I can't read what is written for occupation. They have 3 sons:

Samuel A    6
William E      5
Sydney F    3

And a boarder: Harry Finken    33

I also think I have found William on  www.italiangen.org. There is a death record for William E. Baraclough, died 18 Mar 1917 in Richmond County (which is Staten Island, NY) age 48, death cert number 550.

Also on the italian genealogy site, there is a marriage for William E. Baraclough and E Baxter on 6 Feb 1892 in Brooklyn (Kings County), cert number 391. I will look in further census records.

Kath
Sligo: Davey (also Mayo), McCluskey, McNulty
Wexford and Staffordshire: Hayes, McClean
Galway and Staffordshire: Scott
Coventry: Wells, Collins, Palmer, Moody, Beck, Mickelwright, Husbands
Ireland: McNulty (Sligo), Kealy, Murphy (Carlow) Connolly, Gillen, Powell, Ryan, Moore, Martin
Davis from I don't know where originally
Stahl, Russia to England to USA

Offline KathMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 July 07 11:30 BST (UK) »
I have found them in 1910. Just William and Elizabeth. They are boarders in what appears to be a very large boarding house. They are both orderlies in a hospital and everyone who lives in the boarding house works at the hospital. They are living on Pacific Avenue in Brooklyn. Elizabeth has had 5 children, with 3 living. I will look for the kids.

Kath
Ireland: McNulty (Sligo), Kealy, Murphy (Carlow) Connolly, Gillen, Powell, Ryan, Moore, Martin

Offline KathMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 July 07 11:33 BST (UK) »
Oh, and I did find a death record for Elizabeth on 17 Nov 1924, age 50 in Kings county, cert # 20907. There is also a Walter who died at 1 year old in Brooklyn on 18 March 1900, cert # 5400 and a William, age 1 month, who died 16 June 1918, cert # 13491.

I'll look for the other boys.

Kath

Offline KathMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 July 07 11:40 BST (UK) »
I have found Samuel, age 36, in the 1930 census in Queens, NY. He is married, owns his home, worth $7,500, and has a radio. He is a teamster in the produce market (I wonder if he worked with my gg grandfather, who also worked produce in Queens around then). He is married to Augusta, born about 1899 in Poland. They have been married about 10 years. There children are:

Arthur, 8
Frank, 7
Helen, 4 7/12
Walter, 18 months

Let me look farther for the others.

Offline KathMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 04 July 07 11:44 BST (UK) »
I have found a Frank A., born about 1899, in the 1920 census. I wonder if he wasn't born in 1900 just after the census of then. I think he is part of this family, as his father was born England, mother Ireland. Bit of a coincidence with such a different last name. This would also mean that William or Sydney die between 1900 and 1910, but I didn't find them on the death records at the italian genealogy site.

Offline Glyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 04 July 07 12:19 BST (UK) »
You are a star. All this ties in with some info already gleaned. A chap in USA has  given me details  of  the draft William E Baraclough ( son of William E and Elizabeth) which gives what I presume is his next of kin as Frank A Baraclough working as Frank A Baraclough inc.  William was living at Green St, Philadelphia  but born Brooklyn.
The only thing that worries me slightly is that William E baraclough senior was born in Tamworth, Staffs 1867 Jun quarter but I guess that census ages can be hard to read and not always accurate.
Some time ago a lady on Genforum gave me details of a William Stillwell marr to Elizabeth Baxter whos son was Francis Anthony Baraclough born circa1897 Brooklyn. This all ties in. She said that Frank marr Anna Christiansen ( b Manhatten)  and they had 3 children Shirley Louise b Florida, Donald Francis died 1995 Cortland, NY, and Elizabeth Ann b California but gave me no dates.
On SSDI I found a Donald b 25/7/1932 d 17/3/1995 issd NY but died in Haggerstown, Washington, Maryland.
Also Frank A  b9/2/1897 d Nov 1964 issd  NY and various addresses in Cortland, NY.
Also William Baraclough b 1/11/1895 d Aug 1969 issd PA but death residences various addresses Cortland.
If Frank is a brother of William E and both are son's of William senior I am wondering why Frank is not on 1900 census.
BARACLOUGH - NUNEATON, DERBYSHIRE, TAMWORTH, COVENTRY, ASTON, HINCKLEY, USA,
BENNS - LONDON, SURREY, YARMOUTH;
BROOKS - BETHNAL GREEN
JONES - STAFFS ,LUDLOW, BIRMINGHAM
SMITH - EAST LONDON
STILLWELL/ STILWELL- LONDON, SURREY, ESSEX

Offline KathMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 04 July 07 12:20 BST (UK) »
Ok, I will try to be orderly about all of this. I have found Frank in the 1910 census at Children's Hospital on Randall's Island, NYC. I can't find Sam, Sydney or William in 1910.

In 1920, I have Samuel a boarder in Queens, and a wagon driver by trade.

Samuel's WWI draft card has him living at 1810 George Street, Brooklyn, b. 25 Jan 1894, teamster. He was interred at Long Island Natl Cemetery, Farmingdale, NY, on 5 Nov 1954. He had been a wagoner in the US Army from 12 Oct 1917 to 18 Aug 1919. His wife Augusta was born 25 Nov 1898 and died 21 Jan 1978 and is also buried there.

For William E. I found his WWII draft card. He was living in Philly, born in Brooklyn 1 Nov 1896. The name of the person who will always know where he is was Frank A Barcalough, 8208 Ft. Hamilton Pkwy, Brooklyn, of F.A. Barcalough Inc., 328 Washington St, NYC. I also found an SSDI for him, b. 1 Nov 1895, died Aug 1969 in Cortland, NY. There were also lots and lots of passenger records for William, to S. Amerca, Germany, England.

Frank's SSDI, born 9 Feb 1897, died Nov 1964 in Cortland, NY.

I also found the SSDI for Samuel's son Frank, born 11 May 1923, died 19 Oct. 1999 in Bonita Springs, FL.

Kath

Offline KathMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 04 July 07 12:24 BST (UK) »
I had this all typed up when you responded. I am not clear on the Stillwell having a son named Baraclough. Did this woman explain that to you? With all these dates, you can get certs and see what matches up, hopefully. You might also be able to find records of Frank's company. Or better yet, living relatives who can answer questions.

I will PM you as I might have some leads on that front.

Kath