Author Topic: shimmin  (Read 3834 times)

Offline corinnelisa

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
shimmin
« on: Thursday 05 July 07 18:35 BST (UK) »
Is anybody out there researching the "SHIMMIN" family from the IOM. Hit a sticking point with Elizabeth b 1800 ish in Maughold. She married Thomas Brew in Malew 1822. Have their children but no further back than her.
Thanks in advance

Offline DJDouglass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: shimmin
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 July 07 00:22 BST (UK) »
There is an Elizabeth Shimmin from Malew
John Shimmin and Esther Cain(e) md 6 Apr 1799 Malew
Children
JOHN SHIMMIN OR CAINE Christening: 28 APR 1799 Malew
ELIZTH SHIMMIN Christening: 16 MAR 1801 Malew
WM SHIMMIN Christening: 06 FEB 1803 Malew
THOS SHIMMIN Christening: 29 SEP 1805 Malew
THOS SHIMMIN Christening: 02 NOV 1806 Malew
ROBT SHIMMIN  Christening: 19 DEC 1813 Malew
EDWD SHIMMIN  Christening: 12 MAY 1816 Malew
All Manx Surnames, esp Cain(e) & Quayle

Offline Gardengirl

• I am sorry but my emails are not longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 July 07 20:49 BST (UK) »
Hi corinnelisa,

I have a brief link to Shimmin in Douglas on my gt-grandmother's side of the family.

I don't have my research to hand but her cousin was called Mona and she married a Leslie Shimmin, I believe they ran a B&B in Douglas. They were unable to have children so there are no living descendants on that particular line. I guess Mona & Leslie were living bet approx 1890's-1970 ish. I do have a photo but not much info on them. I don't know what part of The IOM Leslie Shimmin was born at present.

Sorry I can't be much help but as you were asking I thought I'd mention them :-)

Best of luck, Val.

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 July 07 23:53 BST (UK) »
In 1841 Thomas and Elizth  would appear to be found in the household of a Jane Shimmin (shown as Ind) at Ballanorris in Arbory - if Jane was her mother then the likely parentage for Elizth is the youngest d/o John Shimmin & Jane Cubbon bapt Arbory  1804-01-15 - Jane would appear to be buried 11 Oct 1847 at arbory aged 87 - I can't find Thos + Eliz in the 1851 Manx census so they may have moved after Jane's death.

This may be a wrong match but a Maughold-Malew marriage is somewhat unusual (distance too great) tho why she was maried in Malew & not Arbory is also a mystery
any thing with a Manx Connection