Author Topic: Shrewsbury look up - COLE  (Read 2029 times)

Offline lmw22

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Shrewsbury look up - COLE
« on: Friday 06 July 07 16:33 BST (UK) »
Hi, All

My 3 x g grandmother was Mary Cole born circa 1806 in Shrewsbury.  Somehow she found her way to Lincolnshire and married Thomas Carpenter - as yet I have no idea where they married.

I have looked on the IGI for details of Mary's birth but could not find her.  There is an Elijah (some times Elisha) and Elizabeth who had children at the same time in the St Chads parish in Shrewsbury.  Mary called her eldest son Elijah, plus she had a Joseph and an Ann Elizabeth, all names which are associated with Elijah/Elizabeth.  I have also found a marriage in 1794 for Elisha Cole and Elizabeth Humphris in St Chads.  If someone could look this up for me, I would be very grateful - Elijah is such an unusual name that it seems a coincidence.

Also, on the 1841 census for Swinhope, Lincolnshire, Mary and Thomas are shown as having a daughter Lucy born circa 1827 but not in Lincolnshire.  I have not been able to find her on any subsequent census as I do not know where she was born or if she was Thomas' daughter.  I have been unable to find anything on freebmd under Cole or Carpenter for her fate.

Many thanks in advance for help anyone can give me.

Lynnck
Lincolnshire - Walker, Miller, Carpenter, Sharp, Bratley, Cartwright, Gibson, Harrop, Clarke, Jessop
Suffolk - Last. Miller, Godbold, Theobald, Pi(y)ke, Collins, Hill, Gaught, Sharman, Pilbrow, Taylor, Soans
Leicestershire & Rutland - Pollard
Hertfordshire - Claridge, Ewington, Cadwell, Hill, Jervis, Westwood, Goodge, Wootley, Welldon, Ebbs
Hertfordshire & Bedfordshire- Fuller, Barton
Norfolk - Plow
Ewington - Hertfordshire
Co Galway - Cadwell
Norfolk, London & Bedfordshire - Rawson

Offline pete edwards

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Shrewsbury look up - COLE
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 July 07 14:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Lynnck :)

I managed to get down to the records office today and I had a look for your Mary,

I found her in the census records and as you say she claims to be born Shrewsbury,

as time was a bit limited  I looked at births in St Chads 1806 +/- 5   No sign of a birth of Mary, what I did find though was a death of a Mary Cole July/21/1805  aged 14.

I spotted a birth for a Mary Cole, 15/May/1791 St Chads,  to
Ezra & Sarah Cole, the abode was a bit hard to read so I got help, about 8 of us agreed it was Bicton.

Shropshire: Ford - Parish Registers, 1569-1812
The Register of all such p'sons as have been baptised and maried in ye p'sh of Foard sithens the firste daye of Juli.

05 Apr 1795 Elizabeth, d. of Elisha & Elizbeth Cole.

Sorry I cant be of more help,

Best Wishes
Pete :)

Edwards, mainly Cound, Frodesely, Acton Burnell. Pitchford. and surrounding villages, Shropshire, /  Rowe, Cound, / Littlehales, Berrington, Shropshire / Radford, Dublin, /   Maguire, Acton Burnell, /  Rudge, Frodesely, /

Offline lmw22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 July 07 15:14 BST (UK) »
Hi, Pete

Many thanks for doing this.  Maybe she will forever remain elusive.  She claims Shrewsbury on the census returns but that may just be somewhere that people will have heard of - I live in a village but always say the name of the town nearby.

I have no idea why she went to Lincolnshire and I only found out her maiden name from a birth certificate - my 2 x g grandmother was born before registration so I bought her brothers certificate.

Maybe one day I'll find someone else descended on the same line - meantime, back to the drawing board.

Lynnck
Lincolnshire - Walker, Miller, Carpenter, Sharp, Bratley, Cartwright, Gibson, Harrop, Clarke, Jessop
Suffolk - Last. Miller, Godbold, Theobald, Pi(y)ke, Collins, Hill, Gaught, Sharman, Pilbrow, Taylor, Soans
Hertfordshire - Claridge, Ewington, Cadwell, Hill, Jervis, Westwood, Goodge, Wootley, Welldon, Ebbs
Norfolk - Plow
Ewington - Hertfordshire
Co Galway - Cadwell

Offline pete edwards

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 July 07 15:15 BST (UK) »
If Elisha And Elizabeth do turn out to be your couple, then could this be Elisha as a Witness of one of Elizabeths brothers? 

Shropshire: Worthen - Parish Registers, Hereford Diocese

03 Aug 1795 Thomas Humphries & Sarah Vaughan. Wit: John Humpris, Elisha Cole.

Pete :)
Edwards, mainly Cound, Frodesely, Acton Burnell. Pitchford. and surrounding villages, Shropshire, /  Rowe, Cound, / Littlehales, Berrington, Shropshire / Radford, Dublin, /   Maguire, Acton Burnell, /  Rudge, Frodesely, /

Offline lmw22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 July 07 15:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks.

Lynnck
Norfolk - Plow
Ewington - Hertfordshire
Co Galway - Cadwell