Author Topic: Davies family from Cwmsyfiog  (Read 2217 times)

Offline chezza d

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Davies family from Cwmsyfiog
« on: Friday 06 July 07 22:24 BST (UK) »
My father William Raymond Davies was born in Cwmsyfiog in 1916 and he had a brother Laurence born 1921. Their parents were William Thomas and Mildred Davies. The family moved to Weymouth in 1925. William Thomas' parents were Moses born 1848 and Edith (nee Williams) Davies. Moses was married previously to Elizabeth Smith.
I have been unsuccessful in tracing Edith's family. She appears on the 1871 census as a servant in another household but I can't find her on the 1861 census. She was born in 1854.
I have also been trying to find out about my grandfather's sister Tabitha Davies born 1894. The last information I have is from the 1901 census but I dont know who she married. I believe she had twins.
Does anyone know the area at all? The house my Dad lived in in Cwmsyfiog was pulled down some time ago but was across the road from a shop which belonged to his father's cousin Grace John (Phillips)
I would appreciate any information anyone can provide.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Davies family from Cwmsyfiog
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 July 07 10:31 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat!

A question first - do you have the marriage certificate for Moses Davies and Edith Williams? With Edith's father's name and occupation, it might be easier to find her. 

Finding Tabitha's marriage could be a long slog. I've had a look on FreeBmd for her marriage, but there's nothing showing in Bedwelty. There is a marriage for a Tabitha Davies to Robert H Sims june qtr 1912 Newport vol 11a pg 437 and a birth to the couple the following year of a son Robert S Sims march qtr 1913 vol 11a pg 466 with mother's maiden name Davies.
Checking the full GRO index on Ancestry will probably bring up more possibilities for a marriage and then it's a question of looking for twins with the right surname and maiden name Davies.
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline chezza d

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 July 07 10:27 BST (UK) »
Hi
Thanks for the reply.
Yes I do have Moses and Edith's marriage cert. Her father was a William Williams and he was a miner which is  bit like looking for a needle in a haystack, unfortunately. I have looked on census records for the name but have found nothing with a connection to Edith. As I havent been able to find her on the 1861 census I wondered if the family perhaps moved from somewhere else but have found nothing to date.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 July 07 11:43 BST (UK) »
I seem to remember that there's an amount of Bedwellty missing from the 1861 census which isn't going to help you. Bedwellty registration district didn't start until 1861, before that births would have been registered at Abergavenny, so have you tried this one?
Edith Williams mar qtr 1854 Abergavenny vol 11a pg 47

There's also
Edith Gwillim dec qtr 1855 Abergavenny vol 11a pg 42
and
Edith Mary Williams march qtr 1851 Abergavenny vol 26 pg 6
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline chezza d

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 July 07 11:54 BST (UK) »
No I haven't tried Abergavenny. Thanks for that.  Edith born 1854 looks promising. Some of those little things to make researching your family tree interesting - districts changing, different names used, names spelt differently. Keeps us on our toes.