Author Topic: Bollegraaf/ Bolegraaf to Isaacs name change  (Read 6157 times)

Offline Tillyboo

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Bollegraaf/ Bolegraaf to Isaacs name change
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 24 November 09 17:51 GMT (UK) »
Greenvally - I have not been offended or upset so please don't worry ! It's great to get lots of info and ideas form others on RC  :)

This part of my family is a real mystery, it's driving me bonkers and I'm not sure if it's possible to find out the answers I desperately want i.e. the true identity of the father of Leah's daughter, Sarah (my Grandmother). Also, why Leah came to the UK and why did Alf deny any relationship upon enlisting in the Australian Infantry.

I guess some things are meant to remain a mystery.

Offline igeoff

• RootsChat Extra
  • Art Gallery/Museum Guide/Docent
    • View Profile
Re: Bollegraaf/ Bolegraaf to Isaacs name change
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 24 November 09 21:03 GMT (UK) »
Herman, Leah's brother came to the UK in 1899 or 1900 (according to a police report of an interview with him in his Australian naturalization file). When did Leah come?

I suspect that we are going to have to look at the history of the Jew people in Europe and the Netherlands for likely reasons for emigration. It might just be that Herman and Leah were part of a more widespread trend to move at this time.

I have done no research on this yet, but specific issues like antisemitism and more society-wide ones like unemployment or an economic depression are the usual suspects.
Isaacs and Bollegraaf families (Australia 1911 on, London around 1900 to 1912. The Netherlands before that. Herman Isaacs (in London and AU), Herman Izak (in Netherlands)

Elizabeth Italiaander (b Amsterdam 1876) and her antecedents.

Jessie Crown (born probably Lithuania, died in Sydney AU in 1952)
Philip Cohen, her husband (born Latvia or Russia, died Sydney AU 1933) and their antecedents and families.