Author Topic: POLLARD-COCK of Redruth area  (Read 8434 times)

Offline Francisca

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: POLLARD-COCK of Redruth area
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 19 January 23 02:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
thanks for your reply. It's been a while since I have seen anything on this topic, and I have learnt more about these people since doing so.
I'm interested in where you found this information, but we may be talking about different William Cocks. My understanding is that William, the husband of Margaret Penberthy, died in Redruth in December 1822, aged about 40. My last record on Margaret is in the 1851 Census, when she was 68 and is recorded as a widow. I have two records of death for a Margaret Cock, both in Redruth. The first is on January 20 1860, the Royal Cornwall Gazette noted the death at Redruth of Mrs Margaret Cock, aged 76, on January 11. The age equates with Margaret’s birth date, but given her humble circumstances I'm surprised she gets a mention in the Gazette. Her residence is noted in Cornwall Online Parish Clerks' database as The Hill.
Another Margaret Cock is registered as dying in Redruth in the Oct-Dec quarter of 1852. No age given.
Their son William Cock, emigrated to South Australia about 1840 and died there in April 1851.
So I'd be really interested to see your information on William.
Hi Deb,

I'm awaiting the marriage certificate for Abraham George and Elizabeth Ann and hopefully it will show why she changed her name to Cock, though if she was living with her grandmother since before she was seven it may have been a simple decision.

Since we last communicated, (when I haven't been at work) I have pulled all the info you sent into a rough chronological order and it seems to make sense. I have followed all the IGI mentions and also had a gander through a number of Ancestry.com trees that show the Penberthys. They deviate from yours at John Penberthy, who turns up as a Bainbridge, with no explanation why he would name his son Isaac 'Penberthy'.
There's also a different mother.

There's no sources so it seems a bit fishy.

I also have sought some information from Redruth records through the Cornwall Online Parish Clerks. Here's what they've provided so far.

Thomas Pollard, ch: 5 September, 1812
Miner
Son of John Pollard and Ann Williams
Married Elizabeth Ann Cock c 1833

John Pollard
Married  Ann Williams
4 February 1804
(children:
Mary Pollard -  5 May 1804 Redruth
Elizabeth Pollard -  20 Oct 1805 Redruth
John Pollard - 25 Dec 1807 Redruth
Ann Pollard -  14 Jan 1810 Redruth
Thomas Pollard-  05 Sep 1812  Redruth)

Margaret Penberthy, ch: 28 Dec 1783
Redruth, Cornwall
Parents: Isaac Penberthy  and Elizabeth Phillips
(That's IGI extracted)
Married William Cock
20 August 1803
(All children were:
Elizabeth Cock - 29 Jan 1804  Redruth
William Cock - 09 Jun 1805 Redruth
Thomas Cock -  17 Jan 1808 Redruth
Richard Cock -  22 Jul 1810 Redruth
John Penberthy Cock - 30 Jun 1813 Redruth
Grace Cock - 24 Sep 1815 Redruth
John Cock - 23 July 1821 Redruth
Jane -  23 Jul 1821 Redruth, [on 1841 census with her mother Margaret])

They also have a Margaret Penberthy baptized
16 Dec. 1798 Uny Lelant
daughter of  James and Margaret Penberthy.
But that does not tally with the marriage date they gave.
She would be 5

When I get the certificate I'll see how it tallies with the info you sent and see if I can find more about the Penberthy line from the OPC.

The OPC also said the Georges and Margaret and Elizabeth Cock were living in Plain an Gwarry and Foundry, which were the homes of the working class of the town. Most were involved in mining but there was also a brewery, a ropeworks and a safety fuse factory which made the essential item for igniting the black powder in hard rock mining.There was also a mine and a foundry.

Finally, I looked up Peruke/Perriwigs and saw a note that they were going out of fashion by about 1715. Do you think that means it was the first Isaac (c: 1730) who was making them?  I suspect so.

Sorry it took so long to get back to you
Gaz

;D

Hello, I was born in Colombia, I have a Spanish passport and I live in Rome.Italy.  I found out that I am a descendant(Great Granddaughter) of RICHARD COCK of Redruth.Cornwall, son of Margareth Penberthy and William Cock, both of Redruth.  My great-great-grandfather Richard began to work as an expert miner, first in Brazil and then in Colombia, he came to South America with his maternal uncle Isaac Penberthy, they both had a very large family with women from Colombia.South America.  Richard and Isaac died in Colombia.  I'm doing research on the Cock and Penberthy family, also on the two daughters and wife my great-great-grandfather Richard Cock left behind in Redruth.

Offline Francisca

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: POLLARD-COCK of Redruth area
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 25 January 23 21:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Does anyone have anything on the whereabouts of a Thomas and Elizabeth Pollard, nee Cock, married circa 1833?

I'm tracing a g-g-grandmother, Elizabeth Ann Pollard, who married Abraham George in Redruth in 1852.

In the 1851  census, I found an Elizabeth Ann Pollard, 17, a tailoress, living  with a Margaret Cock, widow, at 230 Roach Row, Redruth.

In 1841, aged  7, Elizabeth Pollard is listed as living with a Margaretta Cock, 55, and a Jane Cock, 20. Margaretta/Margreat is her maternal grandmother, born c 1786, nee Penberthy and married to a William Cock on 20 August 1803 at Redruth.

Elizabeth, who married Thomas Pollard was christened 29 January 1804, the first of eight children.

Thomas, son of John Pollard and Ann Williams, I believe, was christened 5 Sept, 1812, the last of five children.

What I'm hoping to discover is what happened to them following Elizabeth Ann's birth in 1834... And how she ended up with her grandma

And if anyone has any more on her grandparents, I'd be grateful too

???

GazT

FAMILY WILLIAM COCK AND MARGARET PENBERTHY. REDRUTH
Hello, I am Francisca of Colombian origin, I have a Spanish passport and I live in Rome, Italy.  I am looking for information about the family formed by William Cock and Margaret Penberthy of Redruth, this couple had 8 children: Elisabeth, William, Richard, Thomas, John who died as a child, Grace, Jane and John who was born on the same day as Jane ;  I also know that William and Elizabeth emigrated to Australia.  I am a great-great-granddaughter of Richard Cock who came from Redruth to work as an expert miner, hired by a company at the Candango mine in Brazil and then moved permanently to Colombia, he came with his maternal uncle Isaac Penberthy, we do not know if any brothers accompanied him;  Her maternal uncle Isaac Penberthy, who identified himself as Hebrew and changed his religion in order to marry a Colombian woman in the Catholic rite, died in Colombia, as did his nephew.  Richard Cock had a wife in Redruth, Mary Teague, and two daughters, one named Mary Cock and the other Martha Cock, born in Colombia.  In Colombia he fell in love with a Colombian woman, who was my paternal great-grandmother and had 6 children with her.  Richard and Isaac left a very large family in Colombia.  I am also investigating the English daughters of Richard Cock, Mary Cock and Martha Cock, only Martha Cock (baptized in Colombia as Mariquita Isabella) had 2 children, she married Alfred Bailey, her children were called Selina Bailey who died with 15 years old and William Robert Teague Bailey, he married Millicent Jane
  Polkinghorne and they had a son named William George Bailey (died 1993), who married Irene Thomas and they had a son named Geoffrey Bailey who died in 1970 aged 23.  The Colombian descendants of Richard Cock are aware that Richard's English wife and daughters were left alone in Redruth without Richard and they must have suffered a lot, without their sacrifice, Richard Cock's family in Colombia would not exist, we feel sadness and pain for what happened.  Richard's English wife, Mary Teague appeared in Colombia, after a very long and difficult journey, she discovered that Richard had another wife and other children, my Colombian great-great-grandmother did not know that he was married and had a daughter in Redruth, she thought that he was not he married her because he was Anglican and she was Catholic, then he discovered the reason and asked her to leave the house, Richard began to live in Colombia again with his English wife and they had their second daughter in Colombia, we don't know what happened, his English wife and their little daughter returned to Redruth, with a group of miners and 20 kilos of gold;  Richard stayed with my great-great-grandmother and had one more son, it is the story that has been told from generation to generation, then we see with surprise in the 1851 census, that Mary Teague, her mother Martha Teague, her two brothers and her two daughters They lived modestly.  Geoffrey Bailey Richard's English great grandson, he died very young at 23 years old, we are hopeful he may have left descendants, if anyone knows anything about this person and his family, I am attentive, we would like to meet them and say we are very sorry for what they it happened 180 years ago, we didn't want this story to have this ending, the abandonment of one family to create another.  I will go to Redruth in the spring of this year, to continue investigating, I will look for the graves of Richard's wife, daughters, descendants and family of origin, I want to bring them flowers and say "I am very sorry, on behalf of my great Colombian family" .  Two members of this forum in 2007, with usernames GAZ and DEB, were investigating Margaret Penberthy and William Cock Elizabeth Ann Pollard, one of them would be the great-great-grandson of Elizabeth Cock, sister of Richard Cock, I hope they have not stopped investigating and we can share information.  I have used a translator to write this message and it will surely have errors.  Thank you.