Author Topic: Joseph Jardine and Janet Kerr  (Read 8715 times)

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
Joseph Jardine and Janet Kerr
« on: Monday 09 July 07 10:22 BST (UK) »
Greetings,

I am in need of assistance, yet again.

Joseph and Janet were married 16 Nov 1792 in Tundergarth. At that time Joseph lived at Hayhill, and Janet at Rosebank.  Joseph was born in 1767 (birthdate/place unknown). Janet was born 1772, again date/place unknown.

I have reached a dead end as I know nothing about their parents.

Their first son was James so it could be Joseph's father's name.

Janet's father may have been George.

Two of their sons were shoemakers, so father may have been one, also. However, the eldest son emigrated to Canada and farmed.

Any help/suggestions welcomed.

Jamjar

Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Truth will out! (Finding it another matter!)
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Jardine and Janet Kerr
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 July 07 00:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Jam

This is tough cos pre 1855 are no death records for Scotland. Best you can hope for is that the National Archives of Scotland have the mortcloth records.

In terms of parents if the marriage cert is on Scotland;s People will be an OPR extract and unlikely to have parents - tho the odd one does if you are very lucky.

I have found this baptism OPR on Scotland;s People which could be Joseph

10/08/1770 JARDINE JOSEPH WILLIAM JARDINE/JANET BYRES FR21 M Lochmaben /DUMFRIES 840/ 0010 0020

However to access it you'll need to buy credits on Scotland;s People. But Lochmaben is in the right area where you are looking. Worth investing I think.

This one looks like a likely for Janet

01/03/1772 KERR JANET JAMES KERR/MARGARET POOL FR153 F Annan /DUMFRIES

Cheers

Ann

Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 July 07 07:52 BST (UK) »
Morning Ann,

Yes, it's a toughie. I have looked at Scots people and seen the ones you found, ta.

The problem is that the old records don't give enough information, they usually only confirm what we already know, if that makes sense. Unfortunately I know nothing.

There is a Janet Ker with a father George, but a mother isn't listed.

The search continues.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline mosstrooper

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 July 07 20:25 BST (UK) »
My family of Ker/Kerr from Dumfries & Galloway records ran out at the same point as yours. I have resigned myself to the fact that there are no further written records to be found.

I may stumble upon a grave stone which takes me back one more step, but that would be as much as I can hope for.

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 July 07 12:57 BST (UK) »
Greetings,

Have been going over certificates and have found that my Joseph Jardine was a weaver.

Jamjar

Offline mosstrooper

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 21 July 07 21:45 BST (UK) »
JamJar,
             My old grey cells finally awakened today.

As I said earlier, my family name is Ker/Kerr and about 2 years ago I visited Rosebank Mansion (remains of) and also visited 2 old ladies in Lockerbie who had worked in Rosebank Mansion when they were younger.

The reason for this visit was to try and find a link between my Kerr family and your Janet Kerr.

I was searching on behalf of friends of mine from Telford PA. who had traced their ancestors to this Kerr family in Rosebank. On a vist to Scotland we also visited Lochmaben Churchyard and uncovered a lot of old stones.

I will email them to get a proper list of the Kerr family connected to this place and get back to you, some of them went to the USA. 

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 22 July 07 00:09 BST (UK) »
Wow, this is excellent news.

Rosebank cottage is still there, but the big house isn't. Neither is Hayhill.

I was only in Lochmaben cemetery the other week, looking for a different branch.

Now I know what I am doing tomorrow. It is only a very small cemetery so shouldn't take long to find any Kerr's residing there.

Joseph and Janet Kerr went to New Bruswick, Canada in 1824 and never returned.

Looking forward to more info.

A big thank you.

Jamjar

Offline mosstrooper

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 22 July 07 10:04 BST (UK) »
Jamjar,
            When my US friends visited Lochmaben graveyard, they had a plan of the burial plots with the numbers. The ones we were looking for were lying flat under the grass and invisible, unless you peeled back the oul sod.

James.

Offline Reiver

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 22 July 07 10:44 BST (UK) »
James
You say that your US friends had a map of the burial plots at Lochmaben with numbers.
Did they tell you the source of the map?  Are you yourself within failrly easy reach of Lochmaben - or Lockerbie?

Regards
Reiver