Author Topic: Joseph Jardine and Janet Kerr  (Read 8712 times)

Offline mosstrooper

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Jardine and Janet Kerr
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 22 July 07 11:11 BST (UK) »
Lochmaben is a bit of a distance from me, I live in West Lothian near Edinburgh. My friends in the US researched this very deeply and have a good lot of info which I will get for you no bother.

Tell me are you aware of all the Jardine burials in the Applegarth graveyard?

Offline Reiver

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 22 July 07 12:04 BST (UK) »
I too live a distance away - in Cheshire.  I am not researching Jardine or Kerrs but am generally interested in other families in the area and have been for a lot of years.

The point about the map question  :)

In the 1960s some 40 odd of the graveyards in Dumfriesshire were surveyed and their memorials transcribed.  You probably know this.  More recently local Dumfries societies have started to republish those transcriptions and in some instances bring them up to date. The 'oriiginal' ones tended to omit references to deaths later than 1855.

The original versions  do have advantages over the recent versions.  One is that many of them have at the beginning a sketch map of the graveyard which is numbered and refers to numbered transcriptions. Perhaps this is what your US friends had.  The other advantage is that the indexing was far more comprehensive.   Whereas the modern versions - the ones I have anyway - index purely on surname the originals index on full name and details eg  (made up)  Jardine,  Agnes   w.  of Joseph Beattie         died 1842    age 76       Transcription number   18.     Naturally transcription 18 will give full details of the whole inscription.

It should be comparatively straightforward  :) :) :) to sit in Lockerbie(?) library  :) and trawl through the Index to Tundergarth (say) looking for Jardine Joseph and/or Kerr, Janet and ignoring those where the date and/or age is wrong.

The full set of these will be in the Ewart Library in Dumfries and in other more local libraries in Dumfrieshire.   When I started using this resource I found four in the Manchester Central Library.   A question at Edinburgh 'Central' Library' or a look at their index under Authors Gilchrist or Shannon may show that they have some as well.

Just some thoughts
Reiver

Offline mosstrooper

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 22 July 07 12:14 BST (UK) »
A Reiver in Cheshire eh!

What names and areas are you interested in.

Offline Reiver

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 22 July 07 12:29 BST (UK) »
Beatties in Eskdale and Lochmaben - mainly

Regards from
A  Rreiver from Cheshire :)
to A Mosstrooper from Edinburgh

Offline mosstrooper

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 22 July 07 12:47 BST (UK) »
Beatties in Eskdale and Lochmaben - mainly

Regards from
A  Rreiver from Cheshire :)
to A Mosstrooper from Edinburgh

Are you aware of these burials in Lochmaben :-

In memory of John BEATTIE, beloved husband of Mary Ann BOYES, who died at Maxwellbank 10th Feb. 1882 aged 28 years. John James, their beloved son died 12th April 1882 age 8 months. Also the beloved husband of Janet RICHARDSON James BOYES who died at 10 Bruce Street Lochmaben, 16th Feb 1913 aged 78 years. Also Janet RICHARDSON, wife of the above James BOYES, who died there 25th July 1930 aged 93 years. Also Mary Ann BOYES, wife of the above John BEATTIE, who died at Lafonia Lochmaben, 21st March 1936, aged 78 years. Erected by James BOYES. 7
In loving memory of James DOBIE who died at 2 Welldale Place Lochmaben 8th May 1939 aged 79 years (retired station master). Mary Jane LITTLE his wife, died 10th Nov 1942 aged 78 years. Annie Cowan DOBIE beloved daughter of James and Mary Jane DOBIE who died at Station House, Lochmaben, 9th Sept 1913, aged 12 years. (at bottom of stone: James Dobie LEE Grandson of the above)

Barbara Black wife of James Beattie who d at Glasgow 31 May 1854 age 57 yrs James Beattie who d at Locerbie 30 oct 1855 age 55 yrs

Old Annan Graveyard :-

James Beattie who d at Annan 16 Oct 1825 age 69 and Mary Irving his spouse who d 20 Oct 1839 age 83 yrs also Simon Beattie his son who d 19 Jun 1832 age 43 William son of Simon Beattie who d 21 Jul 1821 age 1 yrs also James his son who d. 1 Jul 1827 age 2 yrs and Agnes Anderson his wife who d 22 Jan 1842 age 47
~~~~~~~~
Catherine Scott wife of Robt Wilson in Brydekirk Village who d. 27 Jun 1822 age 47 yrs also Wm. their son who d. 2 Apr 1822 age 12 yrs and John their son who d at Glocester 28 Oct 1839 aeg 40 yrs also Wm. Beattie their grandson who d. 18 Nov 1845 age 16 yrs the above Robert Wilson who d. 30 Mar 1856, 84 yrs also Catherine Beattie their granddaughter wife of Daniel Little in Christielands who d 16 Mar 1867 age 34 yrs and Euphemia Wilson d/o Robt Wilson who d 12 Apr 1872 age 72
~~~~~~~~
 B11
Sacred to the memory of Sarah Clegg wife of Ebenezer Beattie, Innkeeper in Annan who died 11th November, 1845 aged 34 years. Also James his son who died 6th February, 1847 aged 2 years. Also Jane and Jannet his daughters who died in infancy. And Jannet his daughter who died 14th May, 1856 aged 3 years and 9 months. Also the above Ebenezer Beattie who died at Annan 24th February, 1865 aged 58 years. Also Agnes Irving his wife who died at Carstairs Junction 5th of May, 1886 aged 74 years. Also Agnes their daughter who died at Annan 19th October, 1884 aged 56 years.

B12
In memory of William Haugham who died at Prestonhall 1st December, 1845 aged 68 years. Also Agnes Beattie his spouse who died__aged__(appears never to have been inscribed with date or age) and Angelle (Areuell?) spouse of John Haughan who died 15 April, 1841 aged 50 years

B13
Here rests the mortal part of Edward Beattie son of Jane Beattie in Annan who died 23rd March, 1825 aged 12 years. And the above Jane Beattie School Mistress in Annan who died 22nd January, 1863 aged 75 years. Also Ann Blacklock who died the 27th April, 1858 aged 46 years

B13
Here rests the mortal part of Edward Beattie son of Jane Beattie in Annan who died 23rd March, 1825 aged 12 years. And the above Jane Beattie School Mistress in Annan who died 22nd January, 1863 aged 75 years. Also Ann Blacklock who died the 27th April, 1858 aged 46 years

C4
In memory of John Beattie in Joinvill who died 12th October 1823 aged 48 years and Jean Carruthers spouse of the above John Beattie who died in Joinvill on 15th July 1870, advanced in years. Charles Beattie son of John Beattie Joinvill who died 4th April 1824 aged 7 years. Also James Beattie youngest son of the above John Beattie who died at Joinvill 19th December, 1873 aged 50 years. Also Walter Beattie who died 29th June 1883 aged 68 years. Also the Revd Irving Beattie who died 21st November, 1883 aged 61. Interred in the Grange Cemetery at Edinburgh also Walter son of the above James Beattie who died in the Cameroons, West Africa 12th June, 1907 aged 28 years

Mosstrooper- banished.

Offline Reiver

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 22 July 07 13:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks Mosstrooper
Yes I have all those thanks - from the books that I mentioned - which you obviously have (seen) too.   Actually my furthest back Beattie -Robert - and his wife Janet Chalmers are in fact buried in Lochmaben but didn't appear to find their was into the 1960+ transcriptions.  Robert died 1851 aged 81 and  Janet his wife died in 1860.

But I cannot yet get back before Robert.

Regards
Reiver

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 23 July 07 08:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Mosstrooper and Reiver,

It seems that my posting has gone right off track.

Would you mind posting a separate discussion,please, as I get email messages saying I have a reply to my posting?

Kindest regards, Jamjar 
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 23 July 07 08:55 BST (UK) »
Greetings Mosstrooper,

I went to Lochmaben cemetery, yesterday. It is very overgrown with the grass up to the knees in some places. I don't know why they don't put a couple of goats in there.

I found two Kerr headstones, near the front gate.

The only ones laying down, with sods, which could be moved, weren't Kerr.

So, a map is needed. I think my cousin is contacting Combined Services and the Archive Centre to see if one is available.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Reiver

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 23 July 07 11:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Jamjar
It wasn't really off track.

I thought that you may avoid having to trawl round the churcyard at Lochmaben and/or Tundergarth when an initial visit to one of the libraries at Annan, Dumfries or Lockerbie may provide you with a map of the graveyard and an inscription relating to the specific members of the Kerr family you are looking for.

However if you have already tried this route I'm sorry.

Regards
Reiver