77 Queen Street Row, Lilleshall

Thomas Bradley Head M 32 Coal Miner Shropshire Donnington
Maria Bradley Wife M 30 Shropshire Wrockwardine
Mary Bradley Dau 10
Elizabeth Bradley Dau 6
Sarah Bradley Dau 4
John Bradley Son 2
John Pearcival?  Wife's father Widr 72 Retired Shoemaker Shrewsbury
hard to read surname.  Has been indexed as Pearchant, but I'm not convinced!

All Children born Lilleshall
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
Re: Leese
« Reply #10 on: Friday 13 July 07 23:15 BST (UK) »

I'm back to the 1841 now, so will let you have the details sometime over the weekend.  I'm working in the morning, so think I'd better get myself off to bed!!! :D

I forgot to ask you earlier whether you had found any marriages for any of the children?  If you have, let me have the full details please ;)
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

Offline Baudoux

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 14 July 07 16:25 BST (UK) »
You have certainly been one great help to me and receiving the Census which I did not have.  You must realize you are dealing with an old (young) senior who resides in Nova Scotia, Canada.  I was born an only child and it has become very important that I trace my ancestral roots.  This process has been going on for nigh onto 15 years with the help of an American cousin, and it came to the point that I had to seek out more help (and thank you so much).

This could be a very long message and so much I would like to tell you and questions to ask.(that I had better break the messages up)  Going onto first question: Thomas and Sarah had two sons, both Williams'.  William Thomas (1870) and William H. (1884).  I note on the 1901 Census there is a Herbert age 11.  Is there i the possibility that  there is a son "Herbert" or did William H. go by Herbert.??

1871 Census, you are right.  William Lees and Mary are the parents of Thomas.

I will be in touch further.

Doris

Offline Baudoux

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 14 July 07 22:27 BST (UK) »
I am showing the children of Thomas Lees and Sarah Ann Bradley.  I have no marriage certificates in regards to the children.  This is what I have to date:

William Thomas Leese (1870)
Spouse: Phoebe Palin ((1873)
Children: William (1893);  Percy (1894);  Sarah (1896);  Ethel (1898)

Joseph Thomas (1st) (1872) My grandfather
Spouse: Juilia Humpherson (1860) My grandmother
Children: Mary Eleanor (1897);  Dorothy May (1898) My mother;  Emily (1899);  Sarah Evelyn (1901);  Joseph Thomas (1903)

Julia Leese (1874)- Died: Feb. 28, 1893 - Married???

Sabina Leese (1877)
Spouse: John Lowe (1877)
One child: Sarah Jane (1915)

John Leese (1879)
Spouse: Emily Humpherson - Grandmother's sister
Children: Florence (1901) - Died (1930)
               Arthur (1903) - died (1983)

George Leese (1882( - died 1962 (never married)

William H. (1884) - married ????

Leonard Leese (1885)
Spouse: Rose Thomkinson
Children: William John (1921);  Annie "Nance" Born: ??
                Julie Leese Born: ???; Leonard (1925)

Harriet (1887) - Married: ????

Albert (1889) - Married: ????

This information is what I have to date on my great-grandparents

Regards,

Doris

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 15 July 07 15:23 BST (UK) »

Hello Doris

I've read through your replies, and wanted to ask you if it is marriage details that you are looking for?  I can certainly search the index for you, but you will need to purchase certificates to gather full information.

You said you were in Canada......which member of the Leese family emigrated and when? 

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 15 July 07 15:51 BST (UK) »

I've only had quick look at the Index and found these so far:

Leonard Leese (1885)
Spouse: Rose Thomkinson

Marriage December Quarter 1910
Leonard Leese and Rose Tomkinson
District: Newport Sh (which covers Lilleshall)
Vol: 6a, Page: 1636

William Thomas Leese (1870)
Spouse: Phoebe Palin ((1873)

Marriage December Quarter 1891
William Francis Leese and Phoebe Palin
District: Wellington Sh
Vol: 6a, Page: 1557

Sabina Leese (1877)
Spouse: John Lowe (1877)

Marriage December Quarter 1904
Sabina Leese and John Lowe
District: Newport Sh
Vol: 6a, Page 1609

If you wish, you can purchase certificates from the General Register Office, using the references above.  Although I should imagine that you are more interested in your direct line.

Was your Mother born in Canada, or did the whole family emigrate from England?

Offline Baudoux

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 16 July 07 11:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for your reply.

My grandfather, Joseph and his brother John emigrated to Canada in 1904.  Coal mining was on the downgrade in England and at the time Canada was sending out lists looking for trained coal miners.

My grandmother, Julia (Humpherson) Leese and her little family came to Canada in 1909.

I would love to find out if my great Aunts and Uncles married?

I appreciate your help

Doris

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 17 July 07 16:12 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your PM Doris.

"I made at least 4 attempts to the General Register Office trying to obtain my Grandfather, Joseph Leese's Birth Certificate,  to no avail.  I tried each of the 4 times re-arranging the years (because they say they do a 3 year search.

I have just received the information you sent me on marriages and a thought has occurred to me.  "Could I just quote the reference information instead of trying to arrange the years over a 3 yr. search as the Register Office requests"

I would be interested in sending for my Great Uncle William Francis Leese's Marriage Certificate."

Assuming this is the correct one:
Marriage December Quarter 1891
William Francis Leese and Phoebe Palin
District: Wellington Sh
Vol: 6a, Page: 1557

Apply to the General Register Office by completing the online form with the above details. 

~~~~~~~~~~

Here's a possible birth for your Grandfather:

December Quarter 1871
District: Newport Sh (which covers Lilleshall)
Vol: 6a, Page: 844

As a checking point you could always provide his parents' names, so if there is any discrepancy they will only charge £3 to do a search, and refund you the remaining £4.

~~~~~~~~~~

My grandfather, Joseph and his brother John emigrated to Canada in 1904.  My grandmother, Julia (Humpherson) Leese and her little family came to Canada in 1909

Your Grandparents must have got married in Canada, and unfortunately I have no idea about Canadian records. 

Try posting a look up on the Canada Board, I'm sure someone there will be able to help you: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/board,375.0.html

Offline Baudoux

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 18 July 07 01:44 BST (UK) »
My American cousin required our grandparents Marriage Certificate which is as follows

Marriage solemnized at the Register Office in the District of Wellington in the County of Salop - September 2m 1896
Joseph Leese (23 years) Bachelor - Coal Miner
Residence at the time of marriage Wrockwardine Wood - Father Thomas Leese - coal miner
Julia Humpherson (34 years) Spintser - Domestic Servant (General).  Residence at the time of marriage Wrockwardine Wood - Father  Thomas Humpherson
Wittnesses Dan Humpherson & Sabina Leese

I have a question I would like to ask if I should apply for a marriage certificate per chance so to speak, not knowing any years for the 3 year search (as they request).  Would you work from their date of birth, add 15 or 25 years????

Again I wish to thank you for your help.

Doris