Author Topic: Hilland and Devlin circa 1870  (Read 4642 times)

Offline edwardkenna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hilland and Devlin circa 1870
« on: Saturday 11 December 04 10:35 GMT (UK) »
I am tracking the movement of my ancestors from Ireland,to Whitehaven and then to Usworth,Co.Durham.Hugh Hilland shows up in Usworth in 1867(1901census)  with Margaret and Hugh Jnr.after leaving Whitehaven but his mother-in-law with whom he resided with her children has just disappeared.Would anybody be in a position to try and locate Elizabeth Devlin b.1811,James b.1837,William b.1842,John b.1845, Edward b.1849 and Margaret Ann b.1860.I believe they moved to Durham too and may have been recorded as being "Devling" instead of Devlin.The hilland's name has been recorded as "Hillen, Hillon,Hillands,Hillard and Hilling.They eventually settled in Holmside near Craghead.If my theory is correct they should show up on the 1871 census.Thankyou Edward Kenna.

Offline Helen K

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Hilland and Devlin circa 1870
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 December 04 16:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Edward

1881 Census

Lonnin Row
Holmside, Durham, England
RG11 Piece 4949 Folio 73 Page 22

Hugh HILLAND   M   42    M   Ireland
   Rel:   Head
   Occ:   Coal Miner
Margaret HILLAND   M   44    F   Whitehaven, Cumberland, England
   Rel:   Wife
Hugh HILLAND       14    M   Usworth, Durham, England
   Rel:   Son
Edward HILLAND       10    M   Holmside, Durham, England
John HILLAND       8    M   Holmside, Durham, England
William HILLAND       6    M   Holmside, Durham, England
Sarah E. HILLAND       1    F   Holmside, Durham, England
   Rel:   Dau

1871 Census
RG10/4960  Folio 17  Page 9  Sch 47
Fourth Row, Wagtail, Holmside
HILAND
Hugh Head Mar 30 Coalminer Cumberland Cletor
Margaret Wife Mar 31 Cumberland Whitehaven
Margaret Ann Dau 8 Cumberland Whitehaven
Elizabeth Dau 8 Cumberland Whitehaven
Hugh Son 4 Durham Usworth
John Wm Son 2m Durham Holmside

1871 Census
RG10/4960  Folio 16  Page 7  Sch 34
First Row, Craghead Wagtail, Holmside
DEVLING
William Head Unm 27 Coalminer Cumberland Whitehaven
Elizabeth Mother W 57 Ireland
HILAND
Elizabeth Grand Dau 9 Cumberland Whitehaven

Regards

Helen K

Census transcriptions are Crown Copyright of the National Archives

Offline edwardkenna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 December 04 15:37 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Helen,that was good to read and another way to spell my ancestor's surname.The present day Hilland,s who still live in Durham didn't have a clue about the mis-spelling of the name.It looks like my theory was correct but I never thought the they would live next door to each other.It also looks as though the Devlin,s or Devling's who left Whitehaven but never showed up at Wagtail cottage in the 71 census, ie James,Edward and John married local girls in Durham. It will be interesting finding them if I can.I presume that there was no additional mentions for Devling,s in the 81 census ?
Thanks once again.
Ted

Offline Helen K

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 December 04 18:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Edward

This is the only other DEVLING family in Co Durham in 1881.

6 New Row
Waldridge, Durham, England
RG11 Piece 4980 Folio 11 Page 17

Hugh DEVLING   M   24    M   Durham, England
   Rel:   Head
Catherine DEVLING   M   23    F   Durham, England
   Rel:   Wife
Emerson DEVLING       7 m   M   Waldridge, Durham, England

However, there are many DEVLIN's.  Do you know if James, John and Edward were born in Cumberland as William seems to have been ?

Regards

Helen K
Census transcriptions are Crown Copyright of the National Archives

Offline edwardkenna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 December 04 10:43 GMT (UK) »
Hello Helen,I think you may have given some light to a problem which I could not understand.One of the Hilland family IE Hugh Hilland Jr., married Elizabeth Moses in 1892 and had at least 5 children.They show up on the 1901 census as "Hillard".Bearing in mind that the Hillands and Devlins are of Irish decent,their children's names follow a set convention being named after fathers,mothers,aunts,uncles etc.Except in the case of Hugh Hilland Jr.Names like "Selby and Emmerson" suddenly appeared and I now believe that the Devlings in Walridge are an echo of the Devlin family past and are somehow related.Please note that I said "Devlin" because that is the name that appears on the census in Whitehaven.Margaret Devlin and her daughter Margaret Ann were illiterate I believe and therefore didn,t know that their names and their children's were being spelled incorrectly.I believe that their accents may have played a part in the confusion too.Contrary to what is stated in the 81 census,I believe that James was born in Ireland and William,John and Edward were born in Whitehaven.It is noticeable that all the "Devlins" disappear from Whitehaven at the same time IE in between 1861 and 1871 and then reappear in Holmside in the Durham 71 census minus three sons James,John and Edward.They were all of marriageable age and it is logical that they married locally and probably under the surname of Devlin.I noticed the new spelling of "Hiland" but I haven't got a clue where "Elizabeth grand daughter 9", comes from, as she has never showed up before.
Thanks for your help and Merry Christmas.Ted.