Author Topic: Williams line in Merthyr Tydfil  (Read 3439 times)

Offline 'yr un drewllyd'

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Williams line in Merthyr Tydfil
« on: Monday 11 December 06 00:45 GMT (UK) »
 :-\
I've got a bit stuck on my Williams line :'(
My gt grandfathers Obit in the Myrthyr Express of Dec 5th 1940 has good write on him, William williams, aged 60, retied to his native Merthyr, lived at The gables West grove, Vaynor Parish councilor, manager of Barclays Merthyr and Treharris, past president of the chamber of trade, scout leader, son of the late Mrs Williams of the Globe Hotel, 2 spinster sisters (Gwennie and Lizzie). Also mentioned in the obit is a neice (Miss C Williams ( I know nothing of her, whose daughter she is or where she came from).
I also have a family picutre taken outside the Gwynnes Arms In Cefn Coed? about 1909 above the door is a large sign reading "Williams" and  on the backs the names of those present one being Katie Williams. I presume that this is his Mum. I know his Dad was John Williams and was a clerk of sorts
Even with this and more information I'm stuck and can't frind them in any census.
Family tales say that Judge Gwylim Williams (The statue outside Cardiff court house) is an Uncle but I can find no concrete link.
Any ideas?
Diolch,
(Even though I was born in England my Grandad always spoke to us in Welsh)
Williams (Merthyr Tydfil)
Mackreth (Wrexham)
Teece (Epping)
Rees (Pems/Mons)
Crees (Somerset)
Pritchard (Mons)
Harding (Wessex)

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
Re: Williams line in Merthyr Tydfil
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 January 08 20:01 GMT (UK) »
Hello :)

It's been a while since you posted this and you may have got further forward by now with some answers but in  case you haven't..

The 1881 Census for Merthyr shows the following family living in the Globe Inn 37 High Street and would fit with the information contained in your g.grandfathers obit to include sisters Lizzie and Gwennie?

John Williams Head  42 Aberdare Licenced Victualler
Gwenlliam Williams Wife 39 Devynock Brecknock
Catherine Williams Dau 16 Aberdare
Thomas Williams Son 14 Aberdare
Elizabeth Williams Dau 9 Merthyr
Gwenllian Williams Dau 5 Merthyr
Elizabeth Davies Sister in Law 29 Devynock Brecknock

Judge Gwilym Williams was also born in Aberdare in 1839 according to the 1881 census and the following link seems to show that he had one brother called Gamer [not sure of this spelling]?
http://www.therhondda.co.uk/place_names/trealaw.html

The National Library of Wales also have a biography online here
http://yba.llgc.org.uk/en/s-WILL-GWI-1839.html

This doesn't help you with a possible family link but it does tie both your g.g.grandfather [John Williams] and Gwilym Williams into similar Aberdare births.
regards
MarMnkly :)

Surname Interests
Massey, Munkley, Powell, Thompson, Thurkettle

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk