Author Topic: Dodds Family in Alnwick, Northumberland  (Read 16105 times)

Offline ejowynne

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dodds Family in Alnwick, Northumberland
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 13 April 14 23:56 BST (UK) »
I have often wondered how I could get in touch with you, as a novice genealogist to say thanks! I found out so much from what you shared on-line. I live in Christchurch, New Zealand and am a descendent of Mary Francis Dodds, the Iredales  and the Hindmarshes of Alnwick and Newcastle-on Tyne.There is one omission  - My great grandmother, Florence b. 1857 in Sydney, was the firstborn of W.H.Hindmarsh and Mary Francis Dodds. She married Arthur Pyne O'Callaghan in 1875 in NZ and had 11 children - so that is where I come in. I have found the story of these ancestors fascinating and have recently been interested to learn about the border reivers and connections of the Dodds,Hall and Scott families - not that I have traces any direct connections- Marie Woods
I also am a descendent of the same people as you Marie and I also live in Christchirch. My grandfather Ralph St. John born 1874 was a younger brother of  Florence. I was brought up with the Hindmarsh stories and have only recently become aware of the Dodds and Iredales. I also have been grateful to Kevin for his postings online and have just sent him a letter (snail mail). I also would love to get back to the Scotts of Harden  but have come to a bit of a halt at Easington Grange.  I looked in the Christchurch directory but couldn't see a ph. number that seemed to relate to you. I seem to be trailing behind you. For e.g. if you go back to the site about renovations at Trinity Green  you will see my post at the end of the comments.  Jo Wynne

Offline geraldine77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 14 April 14 04:46 BST (UK) »
Dear Jo Wynne,
 I would love to get in touch - am trying to find photographs etc now and have come to a halt  as all the older ones have passed on. I live at 62 Bainton St Bishopdale  - phone 359632
The Australian branch of the Dodds are phenominal and have shared so much with me, including many photographs - Kevin's sister  has been an amazing source as well!

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 19:45 BST (UK) »
Help required in looking up any and all records of a John Dodds b.1790 Alnwick, Northumberland - His father is William Dodds and mother Ann Darling from Embleton, Northumberland.

I believe the Dodds family ran the drapery for about 200 years in Alnwick town?

Any replies or information appreciated.
 :)
Unsure if this is the same John Dodds, but I have one marrying Elizabeth Strother in 1813, St Michaels Alnwick. Their daughter, Anna Maria Theresa Elizabeth Dodds was born 18th Feb 1814 and Elizabeth died 10 days later. I haven't explored what happened to John. I know he was a mercer & wealthy enough to erect a headstone
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.

Offline Lynnthorpe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 28 January 20 02:24 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know if the Dodds of Alnwick (or Bamburgh), Northumberland had a coat of arms?

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 28 January 20 10:23 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know if the Dodds of Alnwick (or Bamburgh), Northumberland had a coat of arms?

A coat of arms is granted to an individual, not to a family,
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Lynnthorpe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 28 January 20 12:53 GMT (UK) »
Thank you. I am aware of that and I am also aware that a coat of arms descends to the (usually male line) descendants of the grantee.

Was any person in this family the recipient of a grant of arms.

Offline Walkie1973

• RootsChat Extra
  • Actively Researching my family tree.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 10 July 20 16:10 BST (UK) »
Hi all, post revival here,

I'm currently researching my ancestors and have come across:

Margaret Dodd's formerly Moore born c1874 and also from Alnwick who later married an Adam Wakenshaw and relocated to the Leeds area in the early 1900's

any help appreciated if this person rings any bells.
Dawson
Walkinshaw
Walkingshaw
Wakenshaw
Walkenshaw
Westwood
Booth