Author Topic: Thomas and Elizabeth PRYN of Bodmin  (Read 6857 times)

Offline GazT

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas and Elizabeth PRYN of Bodmin
« Reply #18 on: Monday 30 July 07 09:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Valda and Daisy May

The marriage certificate for Thomas Pryn and Elizabeth Perry finally arrived today. Not much help on ages, both are simply listed as 'full age'. Thomas' father though is listed as Thomas, labourer, which combined with the birth year given on his death certificate seems to best point to the St Breock Thomases - and mother Jane -found by Daisy May.

Elizabeth's father is listed, as we pretty much knew, as William Perry, labourer.

I find it really hard to read the residences given on the certificate. Elizabeth's appears to be Longstone... and Thomas' is even harder to read: Inblethis???? or something. Thomas' occupation appears to be farm hand and the witnesses are both Hambly, a Peter Halls Hambley and another who's given name is unintelligible.

I'll search harder around the St Breock Pryns and see what more I can find on William and Christopher Perry.

Thanks for your help

Gaz
 :)

Offline GazT

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 31 July 07 10:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Valda

I found a possible Pryn family, though spelled differently, in the 1841 census at Wadebridge, which I understand is very close to Bodmin:

Wadebridge,1,Thomas Prin,60,,Labourer,In county, ,,
Jane Prin,,50,,In county, ,,
Thomas Prin,14,,,In county, ,,
John Prin,12,,,In county,

There is also a mention of a possible will for William Perry:

Archdeaconry of Cornwall, Probate Court
RefNo AP/P/5192
Title Will of William Perry, farmer, of St Mabyn
Date 1850
Description Will

Regards GazT

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 31 July 07 14:37 BST (UK) »
'St. Breock, or St. Breoke, (Cornish: Nanssans), is situated in the deanery and Hundred of Pydar. It is a parish bounded on the north by the river Camel which separates it from St Minver and Egloshayle; on the east by the same river and its tributary Ruthern river, from Egloshayle and Bodmin; on the south it is bounded by Withiel and St Wenn, and on the west by St Issey. It is located 7 miles northwest from Bodmin and a mile from Wadebridge railway station. The parish is named after its patron, St Briocus and was often referred to as Pawton after the manor of which it formed part. At the time of the Domesday Survey of 1986, Pawton belonged to the Bishops of Exeter.
St Breock is connected to Egloshayle by a bridge built in 1485 by Thomas Loveybound, the Vicar of Egloshayle. This bridge replaced an earlier ford, which at times was vey dangerous. The bridge is still in use; it is 320 feet long and crosses the Camel on 15 arches.
Towards the end of the 19th century the town of Wadebridge was growing fast, and was straddling two Parishes, namely St Breock and Egloshayle, which was causing some problems with regards to the day-to-day running of the Town's affairs. In 1898, the two parishes united to form the Wadebridge Urban Council, which continued in existence until 1934.'

'Egloshayle (Cornish: Eglosheyl) is situated on the banks of the river Camel, in the deanery of Trigg-Minor, and in the Hundred of Trigg. It is bounded on the north by St Minver and St Kew, on the east by St Mabyn and Helland, on the south by Bodmin, and on the west by St Breock from which it is separated by the river Camel.
The name Egloshayle is Cornish for 'Church on an estuary' eglos(church} plus heyl(estuary). This parish is by the Camel river south of Wadebridge, and contains the villages of Washaway, Ford, Sladesbridge, Gonvena, Bodieve and Egloshayle.'

St Breock Marriage
5 Jan 1814
Thomas PRYNN         
Jane ARTHUR

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline NelleR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 20 June 23 11:54 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I realise that this conversation is years old, but I have just found it and I know that I am related to Thomas and Elizabeth Pryn. They had a daughter Elizabeth who married an Alexander Anderson. Their son Ronald Joseph is my grandfather. Are you also related to Thomas and Elizabeth? Nelle