Author Topic: Ruth Higginson  (Read 2053 times)

Offline tofgem

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ruth Higginson
« on: Friday 13 July 07 14:14 BST (UK) »
Ruth Higginson was my grandmother, but she died when my father was only 3 months old. She was born in 1884 (Wolstanton) and died in 1920 (Bloxwich). My father knew nothing about his mother until I started looking. I have checked the censuses and have a copy of her marriage certificate, but that is all. She was married in Stratford and her siblings lived locally. Can anyone help?  ???

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ruth Higginson
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 February 12 23:24 GMT (UK) »
I realise this is an old post - but if you are still researching this line then I have a little information about Ruth's mother

I believe Ruth's father was James Higginson and her mother was RoseHannah

Did you know Rosehannah commited suicide in 1900 - while living in Denby Derbys

I have the inquest report if you require it

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tofgem

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 February 12 09:50 GMT (UK) »
Curious.
My great grandfather was James Higginson, but Ruth's mother, my great grandmother was Ann Elizabeth Warrington who died in 1892 of cancer, before James moved to Denby.
I am interested because recently it has been suggested by a distant cousin that Ruth had a stepmother, but I have found no trace of her yet (to be honest I have not looked very hard), but nothing materiaised in my original research.  My father knows nothing of this but it is not surprising as he did not know his mother. I have not looked at this side of the family for a while and I would love to be able to find out more about my grandmother's family whilst my father is around to be told.
Thank you very much Suz. I am very interested in RoseHannah and would appreciate anything which you can tell me.
Tofgem

Offline MargP

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Three generations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 February 12 09:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tofgem

Can you tell us who Ruth married, also have you found a death record for her?

Margp
Family History is a Pandora's box if you don't like what you see find a new hobby,only concentrate on the proven facts and not the facts you think you know.
Jenkins, Radnorshire. Herefordshire, Canada
Coley Dudley.
Baston, Cleobury Mortimer.Wolverhampton
Parker Stafford.
Hammond/s Wolverhampton.Shropshire
Duckworth Cheshire.
Proud Walsall.Proud Cape South Africa
Horton Darlaston.
Stanton Walsall.
Tudor. Radnorshire
Pittaway. Droitwich

Offline tofgem

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 29 February 12 10:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Margp
Thank you for your interest.
Ruth married Francis John Glover at the Wesleyan Chapel, Birmingham Road in Stratford on 3rd August 1911. She died of Spanish influenza on the 11th February 1920, two days before her daughter Freda Jessie , age 6 who also died of Spanish influenza on 13th February 1920. At the time of her death she was living in Newcastle under Lyme, Staffs. Yes, I do have a copy of her death certificate plus the death certificates of her parents.
Her brother Thomas farmed at Luddingtom and her brother Frederick farmed at Snitterfield (had a shop in Stratford)  - hence the Warwickshire connection. Her father James Higginson died at Luddington.
Since my original post I have traced the family through the censuses up to 1911 and I think that I have exhausted the obvious sources.
Unfortunately for research purposes Ruth was born in Wolstanton, Staffordshire, moved to Bloxwich, then to Denby, Derbyshire, then to Dudley and finally to Wilnecote, Tamworth (1911 census) before marrying in August 1911.
She was teacher, but I have drawn a blank at finding out at which schools. One of her sisters went to college to train as a teacher, but I do not know whether Ruth followed in her footsteps. The college archivist checked the college records for me to see if Ruth was at the same college, but unfortunately records do not exist for the correct period.
I was surprised when it was suggested by one of Ruth's nephews that James had remarried as I had no knowledge of this. He has the idea that this was the reason why his mother had left home, but did not know any more. This is the avenue I would like to persue at present.

Tofgem

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 29 February 12 12:51 GMT (UK) »
Marriage reg FreeBMD
Dec qtr 1896
Kings Norton
on same page
James Higginson
Rose Hannah West
6c 851

Death reg FreeBMD

Rose hannah Higginson
Dec qtr 1900
age 52
Belper
7b 366

On re reading the inquest report -Rose hannah is described as 2nd wife of James Higginson - also Mr Cresswell is mentioned - 1901 James lived next door to John Cresswell and family (Grocer & Sub postmaster)

It is with the Cresswells my interest lies

I have been sorting out a lot of old  (part) newspaper copies and noticed the Higginson name -thought it was a little unusual for Derbys and found your posting on RootsChat

Will PM you shortly

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tofgem

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 01 March 12 10:03 GMT (UK) »
Although I have thanked Suzard by PM I would like to do it here as well.
Thank you Suzard for solving my problem before I attempted to do it myself. I am always amazed at how rootschatters help each other, even when they have not been asked.  :) :) :)
Tofgem