Author Topic: Lochgilphead Asylum  (Read 4635 times)

Offline DuncanM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Lochgilphead Asylum
« on: Friday 13 July 07 14:26 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I've found the death certificate (on scotlandspeople) of someone in Lochgilphead Asylum who may/or may not be a distant relative. On the certificate the age given is about 5 years out from what I have. No information on the parents are given. Is there anyway I can find out the parents names?

Thanks

Duncan

Offline prophetess

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Lochgilphead Asylum
« Reply #1 on: Friday 13 July 07 14:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Here is the Link for Argyll and Bute Council Archives, they hold all records for the area, the contact details and what they hold is listed there, also some history of the asylu

http://www.argyll-bute.gov.uk/content/leisure/localhistory/introductiontoarchives?a=0

http://www.geo.ed.ac.uk/scotgaz/towns/townhistory556.html
he
http://www.institutions.org.uk/index.html

Hope these links Help,
ORKNEY
FLETT, CLOUSTON,  WHISHART, SCOTT, BRUCE,
ABERDEEN AREA:THOMSON, ROSIE, CHAFFEY, ALLAN,               
GLASGOW;STEWART,  SPENCE,  DOUGLAS, BLACK , KEAYS(KEYS), MITCHELL,    JOHNSTON,  FLETT,  ALLAN, CALLAGHAN, JENKS,FINLAY,SMELLIE,TYSON

MORAYSHIRE: ALLAN, INNES, MCPHAIL, MATHEWS, STEWART, MCKENZIE, MCLEAN, PLOWMAN, MASSON, 
IRELAND:DOUGLAS,BLACK,McAULAY,KEAYS,TWEED,MITCHELL,
 ENGLAND: JENKS, WALKER,BALDWIN, HURST,PHILLIPS, CHAFFEY, ROBERTSON, ALLAN;JOHNSON, AMEY,Corston,Race

Offline prophetess

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 13 July 07 14:49 BST (UK) »
Hi again Duncan Have you looked for his Birth which I would assume he may have been born in Argyll, that should give his parents, what year was the Death, I live in Dunoon but I dont know what records the local libary here has, most of all the records are at Lochgilpead
Sybil
ORKNEY
GLASGOW;STEWART,  SPENCE,  DOUGLAS, BLACK , KEAYS(KEYS), MITCHELL,    JOHNSTON,  FLETT,  ALLAN, CALLAGHAN, JENKS,FINLAY,SMELLIE,TYSON

MORAYSHIRE: ALLAN, INNES, MCPHAIL, MATHEWS, STEWART, MCKENZIE, MCLEAN, PLOWMAN, MASSON, 
 ENGLAND: JENKS, WALKER,BALDWIN, HURST,PHILLIPS, CHAFFEY, ROBERTSON, ALLAN;JOHNSON, AMEY,Corston,Race

Offline DuncanM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 July 07 15:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Sybil,

thanks for the links, I'll check them out. I have the (actual original) birth certificate of the person I'm looking for who was born in Campbeltown, but apart from their name being in a family bible they have gone off the radar. The person in Lochgilphead Asylum has the same name but the years are out with the birth certificate. can't remember the dates off hand - (late 1890's perhaps), I'll go check them out, but I thought this might be a possibility.

Thanks for your help

Duncan

Hi again Duncan Have you looked for his Birth which I would assume he may have been born in Argyll, that should give his parents, what year was the Death, I live in Dunoon but I dont know what records the local libary here has, most of all the records are at Lochgilpead
Sybil

Offline prophetess

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 13 July 07 21:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Duncan If it is of any comfort I almost missed my grt grt grans death because her death cert in 1905 said she was 65, :-\ , but because she was born in 1826 I was not even going to look at it so very glad I did because the grandson who registered the death must have thought she was 65, or she had been keeping her true age a secret  :-X infact she was almost 79 when she died,
Sybil
ORKNEY

Offline DuncanM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 13 July 07 22:24 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I checked the dates, birth certificate of the person I'm searching is 1871 and the death certificate in Lochgilphead says 27 years in 1895. Very close so I'll keep on gnawing at this one.

Good Luck

Duncan