Author Topic: drawing up family tree on paper??  (Read 103935 times)

Offline DJFRENCH

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My grandmother, life in India
    • View Profile
Re: drawing up family tree on paper??
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 30 October 07 13:15 GMT (UK) »
i use lining paper and photocopy  ;D
Cutcliffe- Devon
Courtenay Powderham Castle
Barnard -Oxford and Claines
Tollet - Begbroke
Gamble and Clement Calcutta
SHAW-BETHNAL GREEN,MIDDLESEX
WILD-BETHNAL GREEN,MIDDLESEX
GAMBLE-BARNSTABLE.DEVON

Offline adee7

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 02 November 07 11:31 GMT (UK) »
I just found this thread.

Thank goodness I'm not the only one trying to decide how to display the family branches so that I can see at a glance what I've accomplished and where I need to do more work.

Some great suggestions here.

Kathleen

England and Belfast - GOFF, GOUGH, MATHERS, MOXHAM/MOXAM,  OSMOND, PHILLIPS, WINDER, WYKES

Scotland - JOHNSTON, DORWARD, KIDD, KYD, RAMSAY, RAE

Canada - DeWOLFE, HALLADAY, HASKINS, HICOCK, JOHNSTON, OLD/OLDS

Offline bean

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 18 December 07 10:12 GMT (UK) »
i use autocad and an A1 width plotter but even so there comes a point when you can't unroll it enough to view properly.

Offline sheddyg

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 18 December 07 11:40 GMT (UK) »
I use the Brothers Keeper programme because the tree function is very simply laid out and really helps me to "visualise who fits in where".

I have ended up sticking loads of A4 paper together though but only because I`ve not been brave enough to use a longer roll or whatever in the printer.

I just reprint each time I have added a few more names, fold them up and pop them in the file until I want to have a look at who`s who (which is usually very often).

I can see every one who is descended from anyone whether its five or fifteen generations(or more) and I can print as much or as little info about each person as I like. It even gets over the "cousins" problem.

You can buy the programme, but it is also available as shareware so you can try it out.

There is a website
www.bkwin.org

I have tried several programmes but always return to this one as I LOVE the tree. :D

sheddyg
TOLLIT,middx,oxon BRUNNER, oxford,birmingham
STEER,middx,warcs,monmouth,CHAMBERLAIN,middx,NETTLEFOLD
COOPER,leics, bristol,  GOODRICH,leics
MILLS, bucks, WIGGINTON,eton
BISHOPdevon,aus,HAMBLY,cornwall, 
HARGREAVES,irelandto nz & aus, BOWMAN,ireland to nz & aus
BIDDLECOMBE Hants              
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
ROSS Scotland

Offline Aulus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The black sheep: Florence Stevenson née Hampson
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 09 August 16 16:50 BST (UK) »
I use Family Historian for my tree (with an abbreviated version on Ancestry).

Family Historian is good at graphical representations of the tree, and can even put in swooshing lines (can't think how else to describe them), to link the same person appearing in different places on the tree.

A few years ago, I looked to see how I might print it out.  I think we were looking at several hundreds, if not thousands of sheets of A4!  (Yes, I've got loads and loads of cousin lines on my tree, and even some barely related in-law branches where it's a family that's caught my interest!)
Lancashire: Stevenson, Wild, Holden, Jepson
Worcs/Staffs: Steventon, Smith
East London & Suffolk: Guest, Scrutton
East London: Palfreman (prev Tyneside), Bissell, Collis, Dearlove, Ettridge
Herts: Camac, Collis, Mason, Dorrington, Siggens
Marylebone & Sussex: Cole
London & Huntingdonshire: Freeman
Bowland: Marsden, Noble
Shropshire: Guest

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 09 August 16 17:38 BST (UK) »
I keep my tree(s) on paper. I just use ordinary A4 sheets, headed "Family Tree A", "Family Tree B" etc, then kept in folders for each surname.

So, for example, if William Smith has 10 children and several of those have large families, then he will be on Fam Tree A, perhaps with some of the children that don't spread too far. Then, say for example his eldest son John has a large family, then instead of squashing all his children in, his line would just be marked as Fam Tree B.  New sheet, heaed Fam Tree B, would therefore start with a line up referring it back to A, but the name at the top of the tree on that sheet would be John Smith.  And so on.
Havent described it at all well. HAs worked excellently for me for over 30 years!  Tried a computer programme , but was far too large and unwieldy. I like the accessibitly and versatility of paper.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 09 August 16 19:07 BST (UK) »
The original question was about drawing trees on paper, and I would like to add something about methods to the discussion.

I have 5 major lines plus 5 siblings lines. Normally each line can be printed on an two A4 pieces of paper (length to length). One of the major lines has so many minor branches that I've had to print it on two pages. So all told I have a tree printed on a 10x2 matrix of A4 sheets of paper.

Which leads to the question, how can I arrange them, so that I can show people, with the minimum of effort, and not having to find the "right piece" of paper, and getting it all in a clutter ?

My solution is to use A4 document envelopes (wallets ?), dividers cut to the envelope width and lots of sellotape !  I cut off the retainer (? the bit with the holes for filing ) on all but the first line, so I can fold everything and put it in an A4 folder for transport and storage.  Remember to leave a space between the envelopes before taping them (I use 2 mm.), otherwise they will not fold  cleanly. I've added a drawing which I hope explains this (better). (1) and (2) in the second pic. show the ideal situation, (3) is what happens, when the gap is not large enought.

And don't tape over the corners !  Folding the tree means that a lot of strain is introduced here, so leaving the corners open, will make life easier.

I tape both the fronts and the backs of the envelopes for stability, as I have a second tree on the reverse side, so I am constantly folding and refolding. (But be careful on the 'bottom' envelope, to tape the inside of the envelope, as you will need to keep the opening free.
Because this is one of the advantages of this method: if I change things - add or delete persons - I will usually only need to reprint one or maybe two pages and replace them.  Or if I add a new family line, I can simply tape on some more envelopes  (Yes, I've done this too - the tree started out as 5 * 2 pages, then became 7 * 2, then 9 *2 and is now 10 * 2 pages !) 

If I am showing this to people, I rarely fold out the whole thing, but simply those pages which show a particular family.

Bob

ps. I may be using the wrong names for some of the materials: as I haven't had to buy these in the U.K. for so many years, I've forgotten the "official" names  ;D
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline sunny51

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Thursday 09 February 17 03:27 GMT (UK) »
Once you have a good chart from your software, you can get it printed out at a copy shop or map printing shop where they can print on large paper eg A2/A1 sheets.
To hand write your tree, visit a printer. He may be willing to sell you a few very large sheets.

Best Free software for great charts, good book reports and very easy to use.
Have been using the free version for many years now. Recommended: just google My Heritage.com
Absolutely no complaints with this software which I run on my computer without using the online facilities.

Note: paying a My Heritage subscription lets you upload more people in your online trees BUT it does not allow you to access records. It tells you that there are records but you have to subscribe  to see them. So the free version is the best value.
Critchley, Morgan, Mogford, Marks, Price,  Pryce,Hammond, Lambert, (Davis) Lane and Thomas in Gloucestershire, Herefordshire and Somerset to South Wales.  Northover, Samways, Stevens, Clark, Ridge and Thornhill in Dorset

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Thursday 09 February 17 08:36 GMT (UK) »
Once you have a good chart from your software, you can get it printed out at a copy shop or map printing shop where they can print on large paper eg A2/A1 sheets.
To hand write your tree, visit a printer. He may be willing to sell you a few very large sheets.

Or perhaps you can’t.

I used Treedraw to enable me to compile my tree and save as a pdf file.
Pretty easy to do though it did take a while to align it correctly.

Now all I have to do is find a printer who can handle, or should I say print the PDF file. That should not be a problem many copy shops and prints shops do that every day.
Umm  -  yes  –  but when printed my tree would be 50 feet wide which equates to three PDF pages.
The height  to contain generations back to the early 1400s is not a problem its the fitting the siblings side by side that is.
(All I need is a time machine, a barrel of slimming pills and a barrel of contraceptives for both males and females and my tree will soon be sorted). ;)

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.