Author Topic: finding which church they married in  (Read 1053 times)

Offline mightyquinn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
finding which church they married in
« on: Saturday 14 July 07 22:13 BST (UK) »
hi everyone

can anyone help me i have the wedding date for my morrison to an irving  but i wont to now find out the place and church how do i go about it

and is it worth sending off for a marriage cert
they married 17 june 1797
thanks
MORRISON [married name]
QUINN[ biological surname THEY ARE FROM MANCHESTER TO IRELAND ]
GORST [step maiden name][THEY ARE FROM NORHTWICH
HORRIDGE[mothers maiden name]
HAMBLETT[MANCHESTER]
WHELAN[ MANCHESTER]
PICKUP[MANCHESTER]

Offline mosstrooper

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: finding which church they married in
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 July 07 23:22 BST (UK) »
Very few marriages took place inside a church, if they were anywhere near a church, it would take place in the vestry. In Scotland marriages took place in the home or an outbuilding. The Clergy looked down upon such gaiety.

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Truth will out! (Finding it another matter!)
    • View Profile
Re: finding which church they married in
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 July 07 01:02 BST (UK) »
Hi

Assuming you have found the marriage OPR. This will give you the parish. If it has the ministers name it is worth contacting the National Archives Scotland. They can tell you which church the Minister practised in. However as moss says it wouldn't prove they were married in the church he preached in.Was more usual for it to be the home or the manse.

First place to look is Scotland's People and see if you can find the OPR if you haven't already got it.

Ann
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-