Author Topic: JONES, Edward Bowen 1851,1861,1871  (Read 7509 times)

Offline welsh lady

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: JONES, Edward Bowen 1851,1861,1871
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 17 July 07 09:25 BST (UK) »
Just found the 1861 James transcribed as Janes
28 Princes St,Rotherhithe Surrey
RG9 Piece 389 Folio 133 Page 43

James Hogg,Head,53,St Olave Southwark,Surrey
Eliza B Hogg,Wife,45.S. Wales
Mary A C B Hogg,Dau,12,S.Wales
Rachel E Hogg,Dau,6,S.Wales

Cant read James occupation think its something Waiter?

Welsh Lady
This information is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Amor/Amer-Bromham Wiltshire,Hertfordshire,Suffolk.
Pyett-Suffolk
Wolfenden-Cambridgeshire,Huntingdonshire
Bird,Nash-Essex.
Anderson,-London.Bethnal Green,Shoreditch,Hackney
King-,Uxbridge,Shoreditch,Bethnal Green
Edwards,Roberts,Lane,Price,Williams-Llanelli.
Roberts-Pembroke Dock

Offline Kiwi007

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 18 July 07 07:56 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for the census look ups - and for clarifying the John Bowen JONES dilemma.

James HOGG died late 1870, wife Eliza died a few months later and daughter Rachel died 1863.

The son Richard Bowen HOGG was in Berkshire 1861 and with his cousin, Lloyd Middleton Bowen JONES in Buckinghamshire in 1871 ( Richard a surgeon, and lloyd a student surgeon ), but I cannot find Richard after that...maybe he went to sea as a ship doctor ( his sister married a mariner and I see Lloyd Middleton Bowen JONES was a ship doctor in 1901)

I would love a lookup for 1901 for Lloyd M B JOnes b 1852 - he is St Peter CMN with wife in 1901 - don't know who his chioldren are - he may have re-married in Neath later in the year.

Many thanks again. This is wonderful information

Kind regards
Kiwi

Offline Kiwi007

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 20 July 07 04:02 BST (UK) »
Great News! I just found where Richard Bowen HOGG went after his stint at a Buckinghamshore Infirmary as House surgeon - he went to NZ on an emigrant ship..but was back in Twickenham, London at the time of his death in 1925 ( found on London Gazettes online):

To the Commissioners of Immigration,
Immigration Office,
19 December 1878

The ship belongs to the New Zealand Shipping Co is almost a new vessel strongly built of good speed and well adapted for carrying emigrants.  The children made fair progress.  At the end of the voyage the Immigration Officer awarded the prizes to those who had obtained the highest marks - The schoolmaster Reuben Newbury was assisted by his wife who held a first class government certificate as a school mistress.  The distilling apparatus on board was "Winehawkins" improved patent and condensed from 300-350 gallons of good water daily. There was not patent ventilating apparatus on board.  The highest thermometrical reading in main hatchway 84 degrees Sept 27th and the lowest 45.F Nov 7th.  Many of the single men and women were scantily clad and therefore unprovided with suitable clothing for the cold weather.   I would also suggest that twice as many Holystones (is a piece of soft sandstone used for scrubbing decks) than are usually put on board should be sent if the decks are to be kept clean.  This is my first voyage with emigrants.

I remain gentlemen
     your obedient servant
          (signed) R Bowen Hogg
          Surgeon Superintendent

He settled in Timaru, New Zealand

Richard Bowen HOGG

1868 ... ..   Lic. Soc. Apoth. Lond. (1)
1869 ... ..   Mem. R. Coll. Surg. Eng. (1)
1870 ... ..   Registered on Imperial Register (1)
1879 Jun 05   Registered as a Medical Practitioner (1)
1882 ... ..   Resident at Timaru (1)

(1) NZ Gazette 1882: Register of Medical Practitioners

Cheers!
Kiwi