Author Topic: Access to National Library of Ireland Dublin Microfiches Anyone?  (Read 4795 times)

Offline eagleye

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Access to National Library of Ireland Dublin Microfiches Anyone?
« on: Sunday 15 July 07 09:52 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have access to microfiche records of the National Library of Ireland in Dublin?  I am in Spain and cannot afford to visit or commission a researcher.

I am looking for baptism and marriage parish records 1797-1880 for HALPINS in Waterford as follows:

Parish                       Townland              Type                        Microfiche
Tallow                       Tallow              Bap & Marr                 P. 2470
St Mary's Clonmel         Knocknagriffin       Bap                        P. 2461
St Mary's Clonmel          Oldbridge              Bap & Marr                 P. 2462
Rathgormuck                Curraheen       Bap & Marr                 P. 2449
Kilrossanty                Kilrossanty       Bap & Marr                 P. 2465

Thankyou,
Eagleye
HALPIN (Halpen, Halpine, Alpin, Alpine) of Tallow in Waterford (Ireland) Glamorganshire (Wales) & Yorkshire
GALLAGHER of Achill in Mayo (Ireland) Lancashire & Yorkshire
SULLIVAN of Killarney in Kerry (Ireland) Glamorganshire (Wales) & Yorkshire
O"HARA of Achill in Mayo (Ireland) Lancashire & Yorkshire

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Access to National Library of Ireland Dublin Microfiches Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 May 08 19:19 BST (UK) »
Hello Eagleye

What denomination were the Halpin family? If the family were Catholic you'll have to rely on Church records for the period 1797 to 1864 as your ancestors were born before Civil Registration was introduced in Ireland. Non Catholic marriages were registered from 1845 onwards. When registration for BDMs started in 1864 some people didn't bother with the registration for a few years after that date. Keep your fingers crossed that church records still exist. 

If the family were tenants on an estate then they may be mentioned in Estate Records as well as Church Records. Some of these records give a reasonable amount of information about tenants.

Christopher

Offline eagleye

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 May 08 21:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Christopher,

Thanks for replying.  I see from your many contributions that you're well informed on Irish Family History so here go a couple of questions:

The Halpins were Catholics (though I don't understand why, when g grandfather emigrated to Wales from Tallow, he got married (1853) in a Baptist church according to Baptist rites).  Any idea?  I thought one could marry in a church of any denomination but according to the rites of your own faith.

I didn't know about the Estate Records.  Would check them out if I could get to the NLI as I'm pretty confident that the Thomas Halpin of Tallow mentioned in Griffith's for Waterford is gg grandfather.  Speaking of Griffith's, do you know if the term 'lessor' means 'owner' or can it also mean someone who sub-leased and was perhaps in turn a lessor of someone else?  I gather this was common practice in Ireland.  The lessor in the entry is a Margaret Smith.  I found Griffiths for Waterford online on the Waterford County Library website which is very good.

My research has come to a complete halt as it seems the only way to access parish records is to visit the NLI in person or commission it.  I wrote to the parish priest in Tallow but no reply.  If only I could get my hands on microfiche 2470!  I'm sure they're in there!  But it's a long way to go just to visit the library......

Thanks for your time

HALPIN (Halpen, Halpine, Alpin, Alpine) of Tallow in Waterford (Ireland) Glamorganshire (Wales) & Yorkshire

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 May 08 18:24 BST (UK) »
The parish records of St Mary's Clonmel are available on line at Bru Boru centre Bapt 1790-1900 Marr 1798-1900. You can search the index for free but to get details it costs 5 euros per view or download.
website tipperarysouth.brsgenealogy.com
The Waterford records are not online yet
They are available on microfilm not microfiche (as far as I know)in the National Library
Kilrossanty Bapt 1822-1900 Marr 1859-1900
Tallow Bapt 1797-1900  Marr 1799-1900
Rathcormuch 1831-1900 Bapt 2852-1900 Marr
Do you have any dates or first names re Halpin?

Sloinne

Kerrisk, Healy, McGuire, Duggan - Kerry and US
Tuohy/Toohey,Gorman, Purcell, Fanning- Holycross Tipperary

Offline eagleye

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 May 08 08:49 BST (UK) »
Luimneach, thanks for PM:  I got Griffith's info from http://www.waterfordcoco.ie/en/libraryservices/ where it looks like they are complete as entry for Thomas Halpin gives map ref, type of property, location etc.  I have no mothers' names unfortunately and the furthest I have got back to is Michael Halpin's marriage cert in Wales 1853.  Father is Thomas Halpin so I am hoping it's the same Thomas as the one in Tallow, on Griffith's.  There is only one Thomas Halpin in Tallow.  That's a possibility, that Michael Halpin and Mary Sullivan got married according to Baptist rites in exchange for help though I don't think she was Baptist as there is an IGI entry for a Catholic baptism which looks like her.  I will try calling the priest in Tallow..Looks like it would take hours to locate the Halpins in Tallow from what you say about NLI microfilm records, but then Tallow was, and still is, TINY so there can't be that many Halpins in there.

Sloinne, thanks for reply.  Dates and names are Michael Halpin b. c1830, Tallow.  Father Thomas Halpin.  Married Mary Sullivan 1853, Pontypridd.

Regards,
Eagleye