Author Topic: John FULLER - born in county of Essex?  (Read 905 times)

Offline Jillie42

• I am sorry but my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John FULLER - born in county of Essex?
« on: Sunday 15 July 07 15:55 BST (UK) »
I have an ancestor, John Fulller who is on the 1841 and 1851 census' for Prittlewell in Essex.

On the 1841 census it gives his birth year as 1801 (ok. I know that often the ages on the 1841 census are rounded up or down by 5 years) and says he was "born in county" - HO107/337/book 14 or District 3/Folio46/page 12.

On the 1851 census he is still living in Prittlewell, his DOB is given as 1798 and his place of birth is given as Cambridgeshire. HO107/1777/282/23

Now obviously Prittlewell is bl**dy miles from Cambridgshire.

I've looked on the IGI index and the only John Fuller baptised in 1798 is indeed in Cambridgeshire - at Chesterton.

On the 1861 census his wife is transribed as "gardeners widow" so John must have died sometime between the 1851 and 1861 census

Any ideas how I can find out where John Fuller was born other then the IGI index since he was born before civil registration?

Eaton (Woughton on the Green, Doncaster and N. London), Davis(Shinfield and London), Harrington (Ireland and London), Sutcliffe (Todmorden and London), Williams, Hollingsworth (Thaxted), Lane (Rotherhithe), Fuller (Chesterton, Cambs), Dilley (who knows where????)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Fulller - born in county of Essex?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 July 07 16:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Jillie

The first thought that came to me was the 1841 census may be wrong and he was not born in county and could well have been born in Cambridgeshire.  You can check births for this county on www.familyhistoryonline.co.uk 

Unfortunately Essex does not have births on this website  :-\

Where were they married as that might give a clue?

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Jillie42

• I am sorry but my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: John FULLER - born in county of Essex?
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 July 07 08:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks Kerry,

I will have a look at the link you've postres. My great-great grandmother - John Fuller's daughter, Hannah was born in 1832 so I assume that John's marriage was before civil registration. I've had a look for a marriage for a John Fuller on the IGI but can't  find any that fit in either the Cambridgshire or Essex areas.

Jill
Eaton (Woughton on the Green, Doncaster and N. London), Davis(Shinfield and London), Harrington (Ireland and London), Sutcliffe (Todmorden and London), Williams, Hollingsworth (Thaxted), Lane (Rotherhithe), Fuller (Chesterton, Cambs), Dilley (who knows where????)

Offline Siora

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: John FULLER - born in county of Essex?
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 July 07 21:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Jillie.

I see on SEAX http://seax.essexcc.gov.uk/login.asp?Start=True&ERO=2 (you need to register) that the Essex Record Office at Chelmsford has the registers of St. Mary the Virgin at Prittlewell on fiche and transcript.  They cover the dates you require.  These may well also be available on fiche at the Saffron Walden branch which is only open on Tuesdays, Fridays and Saturday mornings. 

Siora