Author Topic: IGI and welsh patronymic system  (Read 2697 times)

Offline Marmaduke 123

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: IGI and welsh patronymic system
« Reply #9 on: Monday 13 August 07 14:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks a lot Beth86.

I think its probably a query for the archivists rather than an actual look-up.

I am looking for the baptism of George Francis, born around 1805 in Llanfrechfa. He doesn't appear in LLanfrechfa baptisms. The family may have become non-conformists, most likely baptists, as George's daughter was married in a Baptist church.

I haven't been able to trace any records for Baptist churches in the Llanfrechfa area. Do Gwent Archives have any, or know where they might be found? Although baptists don't practice infant baptism they do keep records of births to members of their congregations - birth/dedication records. (At least my Yorkshire ones do)

Thanks again for your kind offer - I'm very grateful.

Anne

Halifax/Huddersfield area West Yorkshire
Monmouthshire, Gloucestershire, Berkshire and nearby areas.
Bilcliffe one name study all areas.

Offline Beth86

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 14 August 07 20:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks a lot Beth86.

I think its probably a query for the archivists rather than an actual look-up.

I am looking for the baptism of George Francis, born around 1805 in Llanfrechfa. He doesn't appear in LLanfrechfa baptisms. The family may have become non-conformists, most likely baptists, as George's daughter was married in a Baptist church.

I haven't been able to trace any records for Baptist churches in the Llanfrechfa area. Do Gwent Archives have any, or know where they might be found? Although baptists don't practice infant baptism they do keep records of births to members of their congregations - birth/dedication records. (At least my Yorkshire ones do)

Thanks again for your kind offer - I'm very grateful.

Anne

Hi, I was unable to actually look for George Francis' birth, but I know they do have Baptist records for the entire of Monmouthshire.
I will be going back again next week, so I will put George's name at the top of my list to search for.

I drew many blanks myself today.  Until I discovered a record of my g grandfathers burial, andd discovered that he had a baptist burial.  So next week I will be concentrating on the baptist records.

Sorry I couldn't provide you with anymore answers today, but I will take a look next week!

Beth
Mon: Evans; Griffiths; Hodges; Lewis
Northants: Brain; Bruce; Clark; Gardner; Haynes; Newman; Redley
Som: Hodges

Offline Marmaduke 123

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 14 August 07 20:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks Beth

These non-conformists are a real pain to find aren't they? I've got lots up in Yorkshire in my family, but these seem to be the only ones on my husband's side.

Anne
Halifax/Huddersfield area West Yorkshire
Monmouthshire, Gloucestershire, Berkshire and nearby areas.
Bilcliffe one name study all areas.

Offline Beth86

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 14 August 07 21:16 BST (UK) »
Yes they are.  It makes it even harder that I have no idea where Edward Evans my g grandfather was born.  So I am seriously clutching at straws on that one!
Mon: Evans; Griffiths; Hodges; Lewis
Northants: Brain; Bruce; Clark; Gardner; Haynes; Newman; Redley
Som: Hodges