Author Topic: COMPLETED The Lodge, Bancroft Road, Mile End Old Town - Was this a hospital ?  (Read 14541 times)

Offline sheila buttl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: COMPLETED The Lodge, Bancroft Road, Mile End Old Town - Was this a hospital ?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 07 August 09 18:14 BST (UK) »
hi Tillyboo I was reading your message about your family of De La Fuente s I was totally gobsmacked, my great grandmother s name was Rachel De La Fuente she was married to Nathan Bell ,in my family tree I also have a Joshua De Lara and a David De La Fuente they were Dutch jews and did cime from Mile End but my gg grandmother was Portuguese. One of their children was Morris who was my grandfather he married Jenny Van Boolen who was also Dutch they had Nathaniel who was my father its so exciting Ive been contacted by a girl in America who it turns out is my second cousin, her grandfather was my grandfathers brother and we ve spoken on the phone
many times, I do hope this sheds some light for you.
Sheila.

Offline tonyromaine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: COMPLETED The Lodge, Bancroft Road, Mile End Old Town - Was this a hospital ?
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 15 November 09 01:08 GMT (UK) »
Sheila,

Rachel is also my great Grand mother.... Esther (hettie) Bell b.1908. being my Gran

Tony Anderson

Offline sheila buttl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 15 November 09 15:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tony I am delighted to hear from you, this is brilliant we are growing by the
minute, who was your grandma Hettie married to cos Im getting a wee bit
confused. Racheal De La  Fuente was my great grandmother and you re grt grt
gandmother my grandperants were Morry an Janey Bell, Racheal being Morry s
mother,and my father s grandmother so Ive always been a Bell, till I got married.please keep In touch

Best wishes. Sheila.

Offline sheila buttl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 15 November 09 15:15 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Tony I never read the message right we both have the same grt grandmother it will be fun working out who we are to each other.

Sheila

Offline tonyromaine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 15 November 09 16:56 GMT (UK) »
Sheila,

Thanks for the reply.

My Gran Esther (Hettie) Bell b.1908   d.1989 was your Grandads little sis.
She married my grandad James William Anderson in Stepney in 1928, They had 6 children, John b. 1935 being my dad.

So if your dad and my dad were Cousins then that must make us 2nd Cousins.

I've not looked at the Bells in to much detail, i've been tracing the Andersons.
I have seen enough of the Bells to see we are a bit of a mixed up family,
Dutch, Portuguese and Jewish should be interesting looking at my Nans side.

Best wishes your second cousin Tony

Offline sheila buttl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 15 November 09 17:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tony my dads name was Nathaniel Bell he was born in 1923 in Mile End he
had three sisters, my grandad Morry had nine brothers and sisters,my dad was named after Racheals husband Nathan. We certainly are mixed up, my mums side are all dutch jews but my dads side are a mixture ,as you say Dutch
Portuguese Morry s wiife Janey my grandma s single name was Van Boolen
doesnt get any more quirky does it. I know we are a big family I have just found another second cousin in USA she s the grandaughter of my grandpa s
brother or rather she found me like you did.I will pass this on to my other cousins. At the moment Im trying to find out who Racheals parents were but
not much luck so far.Nice to hear from you please keep in touch,best wishes
your long lost cousin Sheila x

Offline Kate Varney

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 31 January 11 11:57 GMT (UK) »
Re Bancroft Lodge - the following web site gives the history
http://www.ezitis.myzen.co.uk/mileend.html

(It now goes under the name of Mile End Hospital. It was a workhouse originally, military hospital WW1, became a LCC hospital in 1930 with 550 beds, NHS 1949 and later part of the London Hospital. In 2008  it was a community hospital for elderly people. Next to it is a derelict Jewish cemetery bombed in WW2 - but this is not  owned by the hospital. and there have been efforts to try to preserve and restore the cemetery, probably unsuccessful so far.
The old hospital would have had lots of local Jewish and immigrant patients.
Kate

Offline eeyores4me

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 31 January 11 13:38 GMT (UK) »
thanks for that link have saved it to my favourites
Guttentag Keen Kemp Knight Miller Muller Rose Weinberg Weisberg

Offline Soubeyran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 18 October 23 14:44 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to Laurie for finally confirming my great grandfather George Sargent died in 1926 in the Mile End Workhouse - AKA Bancroft Lodge, Bancroft Road, Mile End, London.

Here's a link to the page he referenced: https://search.lma.gov.uk/scripts/mwimain.dll/144/RESEARCH_GUIDES/web_detail_rg/SISN+33?SESSIONSEARCH#:~:text=In%20many%20London%20and%20Middlesex%20poor%20law%20unions%20or%20parishes,%2C%204%20Kings%20Road%2C%20St.

I remember my late dad - born in 1919 - telling me he remembered crying when his grandad was "sent to the workhouse", and it's taken me ~30 years to find out which grandfather and where he was sent!

Now all I've got to do is trace another great grandfather, Thomas Henry Burrell, who 'disappeared' after 1906! This has never been spoken of in the family, and we presume he died or left the country: his wife remarried 7 years later in 1913!

BTW, I'm not looking for help in the search (a distant cousin is also on it): my mention is for general interest only. :-)