Author Topic: Richard and Phillis HICKMAN went to Tasmania  (Read 11288 times)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Richard and Phillis Hickman went to Tasmania
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 01 August 07 07:51 BST (UK) »
Just to update and a big big thank you to Trish for your help.  I emailed the Tasmanian Archives and had a reply today from someone who just happens to be a descendant of Richard and Phillis.  What a small world :o :o ;D

She's sending me some bits and pieces in the post so I am going to have to be patient now  ::)

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 01 August 07 10:43 BST (UK) »
Your "small world" is very true when considering Tasmania. The total current population of Tasmania is less than 1/2 million with about half of them in Hobart. Apart from the grey nomads and climate change analysts  :) who have retired to Tasmania, most of the population are descended from the earlier settlers - most of whom were convicts  :D - so the odds are much smaller  that you will meet a relative in Tasmania than that you will win the lotto!

When I visited the archives a few years ago - I met 2 people there who were descended from my husbands convict & thus distant inlaws!

I gather from Keith  it takes a while for the snail mail - do let us know what you find out

Trish

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 01 August 07 11:23 BST (UK) »
Will do!  ;D

I must stop thinking of Tasmania in the terms of my thoughts of Australia in general, ie - big!!!!!!! ::) ::)

Kerry

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Kazzaqld

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Nanna on her wedding day
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 08 August 07 08:57 BST (UK) »
I have some GEEVES information - including an Osborne who looks like he might be the son of your Osborne.

I can email it to you if you are interested?

A few HICKMANs too but none I could positively connect.

Cheers

Karen.
GRACE, HADLEY, ION,MURFET(T), SIZER, WALTERS, WISE - Tasmania,

BATTY, COLE,  GIBBS, GIBBINS/GIBBONS, GODDARD, GURNEY, HUGHES, JONES, LEE, PENNY, TROWER, WHALE, WILSHAW, WOODCOCK
New Zealand,

LEONARD, ROLLINGS, SIZER/SIZAR and many others - Cambridgeshire

BLACKBURN, CUNNINGHAM, DEAN, DOWGILL, GILL,HAINSWORTH, HUSBANDS, LOWE,  MABBLE, MARSHALL, MOORHOUSE, MYERS, PEARSON,PRESTON,  RAYNER, RILEY, SHOESMITH, SIGSTON, SKINN, TURNER, WARD, WILDMAN, WRIGHT

Yorkshire

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 08 August 07 10:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen

I will send you a PM

Thanks

Kerry

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 21 November 07 18:56 GMT (UK) »
Well for those of your interested I finally got my information on Richard and Phyllis today.

And what information!  ;D ;D

I went some notes from a typescript written by another descendant which includes some useful history that may help me to find Richard Hickman in England and some history as to why they emigrated.  A letter to the local workhouse asks that two of the children be admitted over the winter but the decision is made that only one can be admitted.  Apparently it was a severe winter 1841/42

The Parish Union then agreed on 9 May 1842 to assist the family to emigrate.  They had a quick decision as the boat sailed on the 17th.  I can only imagine what they must have gone through!

There are other really interesting bits and pieces about what they got up when they arrived, apparently they were one of the first families to export apples back to England.  There is a photo of their property in 1890 and photo of Phyllis my grt x 4 grandmother.

And a song written by the migrants aboard the Appoline in 1842 called the Appoline song!

And a photocopy of the Immigrants received into Belle Vue quarter and the rations they were given.  There they all are! 

I wonder if Phyllis found it hard to leave behind her first son, illegitimate John by now with his own family.  He was my grt x 3 grandfather.  I guess they never saw each other again.  Phyllis outlived John as he was run over by his card in 1861.  :'( :'(

Kerry

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 21 November 07 20:00 GMT (UK) »
thats great you found all that info. Kerry i wish my Hickmans were as easy.

was your Richard Hickman descended from James HIckman & Sarah Gander both born circa 1779 Hellingly.

Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 21 November 07 20:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Toni

As yet I don't know that.  One of my next tasks is to find him.  What I do know about him is that he was born approximately 1794 to 1797, I have seen it mentioned at Mayfield but he and Phyllis married at Hellingly and that is certainly where he and Phyllis lived before they emigrated in 1842. 

Having just checked the marriage entry on the Sussex Marriage Index it says Richard is of Mayfield.

Kerry

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 21 November 07 20:24 GMT (UK) »
Richard s/o James & Sarah i think was b. circa 1815 so approx 10 years after yours at Chiddingly.

it was his brother George b. circa 1811 that i mentioned before (in another thread) who married Lucy Funnell (d/o John Funnell)

so it looks like our Hickmans are not connected then ornot directly connected then.

Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive