Author Topic: Richard and Phillis HICKMAN went to Tasmania  (Read 11292 times)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Richard and Phillis Hickman went to Tasmania
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 17 July 07 11:07 BST (UK) »
I have positively found Henry aged 15 as an Ag Lab in a nearby farm and a possible Fanny elsewhere but she is 20 not 18. 

I went to the Archives Office of Tasmania site and found Family Links details with the children of each of the children. 

The one detail I can't find at the moment is when they emigrated, it doesn't look like they went to Tasmania  :-\ or at least they are not showing on the list of Immigrants there.

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 17 July 07 11:25 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Your Aussie quests are going very well for you so far!

I should just  mention though that the Family Links link is also a contributor- based site and so may also contain assumptions and errors as silly as the one about Lois.
Having said that, there is also an enormous amount of valuable information there and what you find will certainly be  at least 'on the track.'

Sue

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 17 July 07 11:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue

I totally agree, I like to check out everything with official records as much as possible for everything for my own piece of mind.  Early on in my research I made the mistake of putting something on my tree that came from someone else and then got an email from someone else who had more up to date information and he was quite nasty.  I learnt my lesson well!!!!!

The family links is at least giving me names I can check out for children, marriages etc.

Kerry

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 17 July 07 12:13 BST (UK) »
I believe a few years ago the Tas archives stopped user made corrections & cleaned up the Colonial links data base so it only (or nearly only) references their early BDM records. Could still be a few errors but mainly correct.

What Immigrant list are you checking Kerry? - I never found my Tas immigrants on an online list - had to visit the archives to track them down  :(  :(

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 17 July 07 12:37 BST (UK) »
Sorry Trish, I'm misleading you ::) ::)  It was actually one of the Names Indexes on the archives site - Naturalisations not Immigrants. 

I'll go back to sleep now! ::)

Kerry  ;D

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 17 July 07 13:29 BST (UK) »
There was never any need for British immigrants to get naturalised until (I think) the 1980s! I was somewhat amazed when I was in England in 2002 that I had to enrol to vote! It took months to get visas sorted & no way could I outstay the visa, but I could vote. I was disappointed there was no election after I was enrolled  :(  :(

If you don't find anyone going to the Tas archives (I've done a couple of trips there ancestor searching but have no idea when I might get there again), they do have a research service, which is quite inexpensive and amazingly in our current world, they do the research first & then bill you! (they do quote so you know the price). I often wonder if everyone pays - archives researchers must be honest souls  :)  :).

Trish

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 17 July 07 14:39 BST (UK) »
I shall have a look later and thanks for all your help Trish!

Kerry

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 18 July 07 00:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Kerry

Rather timely - keith just posted on what he received from the Tas archives and the cost

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,202666.0.html

hope this helps

Trish

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 18 July 07 07:47 BST (UK) »
Thank you Trish

Crumbs what a generous price :o ;D  I shall definitely contact them and see what I get, Lucky Keith!

Kerry