Author Topic: Help!!where do i go from here  (Read 977 times)

Offline Danuella

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Help!!where do i go from here
« on: Tuesday 17 July 07 02:08 BST (UK) »
Hi all,i'm tracing my cousins wife famiy for her and they were Romanies,i have the marriage certificate of her Gt Grandparents (Vira & Thomas Smith)I have most of their children as her Nans been helping me and boy are there some unusual names Dyvorus!
Anyway on the cert it says Viras father is Amos and Thomas's father is Thomas,i've managed to trace Thomas family in 1901 but nothing else,no birth,marriage for the rest NOTHING!!
Thomas's siblings that i know of are Sabrina,Celty and Woodfine.
I know nothing else about Viras family except she had a sister Sophie & Vira was turned out to the road aged about 9 and lived with her sister.
Is it usual that they wouldnt register births etc....
I really wanna help my Cuz but dont know what else to do as i am so unfamiliarwith this culture i have no idea really what kinda life they had and how i'd go about tracing them.
Any help whatsever is greatly appreciated.
Hugs
xx
Whiting,Josselyn,Hawes,Copping,Van de poel

indiapaleale

Re: Help!!where do i go from here
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 July 07 02:20 BST (UK) »
So...are you saying that a Vira Smith married a Thomas Smith?

When did they get married? and where?

And are we looking for Vira's father who is named Amos Smith?

On the marriage cert, it should say what Amos Smith did for a living.

Any clues

Indi

Offline Danuella

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Help!!where do i go from here
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 July 07 02:46 BST (UK) »
Yup thats it!
Both Smiths and both fathers occupation is Hawker,they married June 24 1912 in Ashbourne parish church Derbyshire and they were both living "Old Hill"noted next to address was Travelling Hawker but was crossed out by GRO.
I'd love help looking for any of them,lol.
I cant find nothing whatsoever on Amos and Vira(cousins nan also said Vira used the name Davies but dont know why and when she started using it)except Viras marriage and i cant find anything on Thoma or his family before 1901?
Also Celty doesnt even appear to be a name,i cant find that name anywhere?
Hugs
xx
Whiting,Josselyn,Hawes,Copping,Van de poel