Author Topic: The Royal Irish Constabulary(1816-1921)?  (Read 1804 times)

Offline julie watters

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Royal Irish Constabulary(1816-1921)?
« on: Tuesday 17 July 07 10:18 BST (UK) »
Whilst looking up my relation Bernard Bolger(born Wexford 1816) this came up on name listings. As we in England are taught very little Irish history( probably too ashamed of our dealings in the past) I have no idea if everybody was on this list or he may have been a "bad" lad in his youth.
Can anybody answer this question please?
Julie
Bolger, Roebuck

Offline leprechaun

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Royal Irish Constabulary(1816-1921)?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 October 07 22:29 BST (UK) »
 Hi Julie. From the late 18th century a police force was in operation in Dublin City,with a part time,constabulary serving the rest of the country. In 1814 an armed  Peace Preservation Force was created,followed by the full time County Constabulary in 1822.These two were amalgamated in 1836 as the Irish Constabulary,renamed The Royal Irish Constabulary in 1867.[Better known as the R.I.C.When the Irish freestate came into being in 1922 the rIC was disbanded and responsibility for policing passed to An Garda Siochana in the twenty-six counties,and to the newly formed Royal Ulster Constabulary [RUC] in the six counties of Northern Ireland
   The Royal Irish Constabulary a complete alphabetical list of officers and men,1816-1922[ at the Dublin Four Courts.] A further source at Kew.
                                       Lep