Author Topic: Bailey's Roadshow Laytown Co. Meath  (Read 8698 times)

Offline Iseult Music

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Bailey's Roadshow Laytown Co. Meath
« on: Tuesday 17 July 07 12:57 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help...
I am trying to track down anyone who knew my Mother in the late forties/early fifties: She was Eileen O' Callaghan from Devinish Road, Kimmage, and she was a dancer in Bailey's Roadshow around that time. She was going out with Michael O' Callaghan, who was a saxophone player in the show also, and they later married. The owner of Bailey's was Gaby Taylor, who had daughters Lucky, Blossom and Gay. I think Blossom married Terry Mayon or Maine and my Dad thinks that Blossom certainly has at least one daughter in Dublin today. Eileen died in 1977, aged 46, and who she was in her young days very much went with her, as she never spoke of it to us. I really want to trace her family now before it is too late - Her Mother, Jenny Burns, was from Lanesborough in Co Longford, and her Father, Sean O' Callaghan, I have no information on whatsoever. So if anyone out there knows something that could at least point me in the right direction, I would be eternally grateful. As an aside to this, my Dad, Michael O' Callaghan is recovering from major surgery in hospital at the moment and any news of the Bailey family would make his day for sure. :)

Sandra
O' Callaghan Dublin & Cork
Burns Lanesborough Co Longford

Offline KDQ

• RootsChat Member
  • Need to Focus!!
    • View Profile
Re: Bailey's Roadshow Laytown Co. Meath
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 August 07 22:59 BST (UK) »
I wonder if this is your Blossom Mayon:  http://clondalkin.dublindiocese.ie/17dec06.htm
 - It is a parish newsletter from Immaculate Conception Church in Clondalkin, Dublin advising of the death of :  "DEATHS .... We extend our deepest sympathy to the families and friends of: Patricia (Blossom) Mayon, James Connolly Park ... recently deceased.  May they rest in peace."  There is an email address you could contact the church on and they may be able to pass on your contact details to family of Blossom..

Good luck and best wishes for your father.. Best wishes. Karen

PS - I've found 1 'Mayon' in the Eircom phone  book for Dublin - I've pm'd it to you.

Quinn - Tyrone, Ireland ; Greymouth/Waipori/Waimate South/Otago, New Zealand
Galway Carlow, Ireland
Grace Ireland
McSorley Ireland
Donnelly Skreen, County Meath, Ireland
Matthews Tyrone and Monaghan, Ireland
McKenna Tyedavnet, Monaghan, Ireland
O'Neill - Dublin, Ireland

Offline Iseult Music

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 August 07 12:20 BST (UK) »
Karen
You are such sweetheart to do this for me - I really do appreciate it. I have 'met' some of the nicest people on my quest.

Wishing you love and light...

Sandra
O' Callaghan Dublin & Cork
Burns Lanesborough Co Longford

Offline taillear

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 March 09 22:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandra,

I'm not sure if this is any help to you as I have just come across your post by accident and time has gone by. My name is Robbie Taylor, from Laytown Co. Meath and I am Gaby Taylor's Grandson. The info you received re: Blossom is correct, she passed away a few years ago leaving a thriving family in Clondalkin. I have been on to my father, Bob Taylor who knew your mam and dad from their days on the show. He mentioned that his sister Gay would have known them better than he did as he was still quite young when they were on the show. Any info you need, feel free to get in touch.

Regards,

Robbie
(*)

P.S. Dad ( a trumpeter) mentioned that your old man was as good a sax player as they had on the show. My uncle Charlie played sax and I am a tenor sax player too.

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline yvonnecullen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 31 May 09 00:07 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I stumbled on this thread while searching for a contact for Blossom Mayon. I'm writing a book with the people of Mayfield in Clondalkin, a place where Blossom lived for a while in the early seventies. I'd love to get in contact with Gay Taylor as I'd like to pay tribute to the talent I've heard Blossom had, and also her actor husband Terry Mayon.
If anyone can help me get in contact with Gay, or anyone else who knew Blossom, that would be great. I'm very sad that I'm too late to talk to her. I've been working on this book since autumn 2005, terrible to think I could have got to Blossom in time to hear her own stories. But hopefully there's someone I can still talk to about her and Terry. If Robbie Taylor gets this message, I'm glad to make contact with you too, as I plan a follow up book, if I can get funding for it, to gather stories from all the show families. It would be great to hear from you.
Yvonne Cullen

Offline taillear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 31 May 09 07:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Yvonne,

Whatever help i can offer, please let me know . . . . .  but the person who could help you most would be my aunt Gay Martin, living in Drogheda, Co. Louth.

Good luck with the writing!!

Regards,

Robbie

Offline yvonnecullen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 05 June 09 21:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Robbie,

Yvonne Cullen here again. Tried to find Gay in Drogheda phonebook, with no luck.
Can't figure out how to use private message system on this site either so as to send you a contact for me to which you could send Gay's address or number. Any suggestions, for example maybe you could tell me the name of the householder in her house, ie, the person whose name the phone is in, and I can look them up in the book, or let me know the area of Drogheda she lives in. Or drop me a line c/o
( not my address, but one which will pass me post!) -------------------.  I'd love to get to talk to Gay as soon as possible.

Thanks again for answering last mail,
all the best for now,
Yvonne Cullen

(*) Moderator Comment: address removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Dean mayon

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 27 November 09 03:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi yvonne i think i may be able to help you but you have to make 3 posts on this site before you can send a privte message or if you would like to add me on facebook you can contact me there