Author Topic: Waldie Coal Merchants  (Read 35398 times)

Offline mrs magoo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Waldie Coal Merchants
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 18 July 07 10:26 BST (UK) »
thankyou so much for all your wonderful help, my mum has our family tree book at her place quite a few hours from where i live, and she says there isn't much on the waldie family but she did have james william waldie born august 15th 1855 water of leith, so i thought he'd be easy to find on the internet, but no way. anyway i'm going to have another look through nz births and marrages and just get a cert then i'll have another look.
you've given me lots to go by as i am pretty new at this ancestry stuff. all my other family lines were really easy.
and mr waldie is a good challenge.
mrs magoo.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 18 July 07 11:26 BST (UK) »
Having a difficult tree member is half of the fun! Unfortunately, the date that you have for his birth doesn't look to be correct and there starts the hunt...There are 6 births showing on Scotlands People between 1855-60, all show on IGI at family search if you want to double check. The only one with a David as father is in 1860 and this is one of the ones I mentioned where the father doesn't seem to have anything to do with the coal industry. Your two coal merchant Waldies (James and David) were having their children, including a son James, in the 1860s. It would be good for you to establish James Waldie's age through some other documentation.

You might also want to put a post up on the emigrants board to NZ here on RootsChat www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/board,299.0.html where people with more specific resources for NZ might be able to help with shipping lists etc. Put a link to this post here so that people have all the info that has been gathered to date.

Let us know how you get on and if you need any additional help on the Scottish side once you can establish a bit more on your James  :)

In the meantime, have a look at this post from Pam about Scottish research and resources which will give you a good overview www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,24468.0.html

Regards.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mrs magoo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 18 July 07 21:24 BST (UK) »
i'm going to do those things you sugested monica, and last night i rang mum to check up on James birth and yes he was born 15 august 1855, but nothing on his family back in leith. and it had a marrage certificate for james son james born in nz. It said james senior waas a blacksmith,.
james from leith maried in 25 sept 1876 milton otago to naomi gilbert from cornwall. and i've found out where he is buried with naomi. so i have something to go on now.
I hope to get back and let you know i've found james parents. My dad never knew his grandparents waldies which is  because his mum was the youngest in family of 11 and she and grandad didn't marry until 38yrs age.
I notice people getting married at that age today and it seems like it's not that old in todays age.
karen

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 18 July 07 23:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen

One last bite at the apple from me for now...and I think I may have found Robert Waldie, the potential brother to the James Waldie found by Joe in the 1841 Census. Given the marriage date for your James in NZ (1876), he was probably born pre- 1855. It may be that the James and David I posted earlier in later censuses were actually cousins to your James (it gets confusing as always with similar family names!)

I have found this entry in the 1851 census and can find no further trace of this family post this census, which is a good sign if they were to have left the UK for NZ sometime between 1851-61:

Robert Waldie    35, Commission Agent, b. Berwickshire
Catherine Waldie 31, , b. South Leith
Jessie Waldie    11, b. Lanarkshire
Janet Waldie    7, b. North Leith
Mary Duncan Waldie 3, b. South  Leith
James Waldie    1, b. South Leith
R G W Goldie    20, lodger
Duncan Robertson 20, lodger
Henry Shanks    21, lodger

Address:  38 Quality St, Leith South

This looks like the above couple's marriage, actual extract from the OPRs:

ROBERT WALDIE  Marriages: CATHARINE OGILVY BAIN    
Marriage: 03 JUN 1842 North Leith, Midlothian, Scotland

Karen, one to file away until you get further info. The good thing is that there are not that many James Waldies born in the period you are looking at -  don't worry, with a little more info, we'll find him  ;)

Regards.

Monica

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 19 July 07 03:19 BST (UK) »
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 19 July 07 16:32 BST (UK) »
In the 1861 census at 1 Smith's Place Leith Walk,
James R Waldie 29 b 1832 Edinburgh ? Coal Merchant
Amelia Wilson Waldie 28 b 1833 Leith Wife
James Frances Waldie 1 b 1860 Leith ?
plus 1 servant Jane Affleck 20 from Berwickshire

In the 1871 census at Cockburn Bank in Edinburgh,

James Waldie 39 b 1832 Edinburgh Coal Merchant
Amelia Waters Waldie 38 b 1833 Edinburgh wife
James Francis Waldie 11 b 1860 Edinburgh Scholar
Alexander Blackwood Walide 8 b 1863 Nephew Scholar
Jeannie Logan Waldie 1 b 1870 Edinburgh Son???
and 2 servants

In 1881 there is a James Francis Waldie is staying in Glasgow with his uncle, James Rennie, minister in UP church. I cannot find Father James and mother Amelia in this census.  The father, James Waldie b 1832 died in Colinton, Edinburgh in 1915. In 1872 there is death of Amelia Waldie in St Andrews parish, Edinburgh

So I suspect that James Francis Waldie may have gone to NZ after his short time in Glasgow. If not the Coal Merchant connection is there.

Tom

Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 19 July 07 20:08 BST (UK) »
We're awash with James Waldies  ;D - and I think they are all blood line.

Going back to Joe's 1841 entry:

1841 census- steads place...st. cuthbert's...midlothian

james...age 35...coal merchant
margaret...age 35
james...age 10
margaret...age 8
david...age 6
charles...age 3
jessie...age 1
robert (maybe this is his brother)...age 25...coal merchant
margaret fife...age 70

only the children are showing as born midlothian.

1. I think the James above, showing as age 10, is the one that married Amelia Muir and the one that you have shown Tom in 1861/71. Amelia died in 1872 and I think likely that he remarried the Catherine Charlotte who shows as his wife in 1901, as per my post. He did have a son James Francis Waldie born in 1860.

2. I also think likely that the David showing above age 6, is that one that married Margaret Blackwood and I included the family's entry in 1871. He also had a son James Paterson Waldie in 1864.

3. Karen's James William Waldie was marrying in NZ in 1876, so both of these James would have been too young. I think James William was probably son of Robert Waldie b. in Berwickshire. Remember from Joe's 1841 family that the two older Waldie's James and Robert were showing as born outside of the county and that would fit with what we are seeing in the 1851 entry for Robert and wife Catherine with a James (William?) born in 1850 in Leith. Apart from Robert and Catherine's marriage which shows on the OPRs, none of the children's births are showing. This family also seems to disappear after 1851, which would make sense if the whole family left for NZ after this date.

All theory until we manage to get a little more info from NZ  ::)

Regards.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 19 July 07 20:27 BST (UK) »
From the 1881 Census, James widower of Amelia has now remarried to Catherine Charlotte:

James Waldie    47, Coal Merchant, b. Edinburgh
Catherine C Waldie 40, b. Ireland
Catherine A Waldie 5
Bessie B Waldie 2
David Waldie    8 Mo
Annie A Rennie    13, niece b. Glasgow (connecting to the Glasgow family that James Francis is with in 1881)
Barbra Shields    16, niece, b. ireland

Address: 9 Laverock Bk R ''The Grove'', Leith North

And son James Francis Waldie, a clerk, is over in Glasgow with the Rennies, his uncle and aunt Catherine, who shows as born in Leith, as you have found Tom.

The other James Paterson Waldie son of David is at home with family:

David Waldie    45, Coal Master & Merchant, b. North Leith
Margaret B Waldie 42
Alexander B Waldie 18
James P Waldie    17, Accountant'S Clerk
William B Waldie 13
Margaret Mc L Waldie 8
Janet Ritchie    22

Address: 3 Clifton Terrace, st George Edinburgh

So confirming that both the younger Jameses are still in Scotland in 1881....we're back to the James b. 1850 son of Robert...... ::)

Monica

Offline mrs magoo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 20 July 07 03:42 BST (UK) »
mrs magoo is getting a head ache. :P

anyway i have been looking at james and naomi's first two childrens names
david hannibal
elizabeth janet
now both names of children have both naomi and james parents names i reckon,
naomi's mum and dad were hannibal and elizabeth
and maybe james parents are david waldie married janet cook
6th jjune 1847 st cuthberts edinburgh
janets dad was james cook.
please help me confirm, i have sent for james and naomi's marrage cert in nz $20 so that is not to expensive.
but if it has no more info i will be pulling my hair out. ;D
i am really hoping these are james parents.
karen