Author Topic: Place name Luke Nolan  (Read 2381 times)

Offline Catherinesans

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Place name Luke Nolan
« on: Tuesday 17 July 07 19:08 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone
I wonder if anyone can help me. My gt,,gt, grandfather Luke Nolan was born about 1808-1811. On the 1851 census for Liverpool he gave his place of birth as Tubermony, Ireland. On the 1861 he gave Wexford, Ireland. I know there is a Tubermony in Co. Down but I have not been able to find a place remotely like Tubermony in Wexford. Does anyone have any idea where this place can be? This is my first posting on this board and I would appreciate your help.
Many thanks. Catherine

Offline forthefamily

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Place name Luke Nolan
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 July 07 19:28 BST (UK) »
I'm not aware of any placenames in Ireland starting with Tuber but there is a lot starting with Tober.

In county Down there is a place called Tobermoney. However, nothing close to that in Wexford.

This is a good place to look...http://www.thecore.com/seanruad...but use the "anywhere in field".
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Inishowen: Meenamullaghan (Big Hill), Foffenagh (Rock), Illies and area...mainly McCallion, Doherty, Bradley, Grant, Devlin
Kilmacrenan: Gortnacorrib....Bonner
Scotland: Bonar, Boner Bonner etc
Conwal: Kirkstown.....Toner, Parke
Derry City: Bonner, McGowan, McGilloway, McElwee, Bradley
Omagh: Bradley
Fanad Penninsular, Donegal.....McBride, Friel, Fielty
Sligo: McGowan

Offline Catherinesans

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 July 07 20:14 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your reply.
 I have tried the site you mentioned but couldn't find anything like Tubermony in Wexford. It was most probably a spelling mistake made by the person who filled the form in.
I will keep trying.
Thank you, Catherine

Offline Catherinesans

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 July 07 13:41 BST (UK) »
Hello Luimneach
I haven't figured out how to sent a personal message yet  but maybe I can use this message board to say many, many thank for your help. This Luke Nowlan does seem to be the one I am looking for or at least a close relative of his.
There are too many Martin Moran and James Connor in Ireland at that time for me to go on, especially as I don't have a place of birth for them but on my Dad's side of the family I have been able to find James Coonan in Wicklow and a strong possibility for the right Edward Dwyer in Tipperary thanks to your help.
I am very grateful. Best wishes Catherine