Author Topic: James Livermore  (Read 3291 times)

Offline rsel

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Livermore
« on: Tuesday 17 July 07 20:13 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
    I am after some advice please. One of my Great (x3) Grandfathers is a James Livermore, i have him on the 1851 and 1861 census at South Benfleet & Thundersley, and also from his marriage certificate in 1845 also being at South Benfleet. From the census, i have an approximate birth date of 1821 but no place other than Essex.
    I have not been able to find him on the 1841 to any level of certainty, and have not been able to find him on any later census at all. I have tried various things like just searching for James born around 1820 in Essex, to search for just his surname.
    I have found a possible death certificate for October 1896 in Rochford, which has the right occupation of Farm Laborer (but that is not exactly rare is it  ;D )and his age is given as 76 which falls as approx 1820 which again is in the right timescale. However i have nothing to confirm it is my James, as the witness name (Rachel Tilbrook) does not match any names i have for his family, so am not sure it is the correct one.   

Does anybody have any idea's about how to confirm this is the correct James as i can't find the census to put him close to rochford or any connection to Rachel.

Thanks

Richard
Sellens - Sussex
Newham - Surrey
Wellington - Dagenham, Essex
Camp - South Essex
Wren - Essex
Livermore - Essex
Wane - Essex
Fisk - Essex / Suffolk
Bailey/Bayley - Sussex
Newton - Sussex
Funnell - Sussex
Streeter - Sussex
Coates - Sussex
Maisey - Surrey

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
Re: James Livermore
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 July 07 20:47 BST (UK) »
1851 states his PoB as 'Wickham, Essex' - which isnt near South Benfleet - nearer Maldon if I recall correctly ? Could be Witham, again not too close.

In 1841 Benfleet, theres a family of Livermore headed by a Wm Jas .... with a gap that your chap could fit

and a James Liverman aged 22-25 - which on inspection could be Livermore here:-

HO107/322/2; South Benfleet; District: 10; Folio: 23; Page: 18

Hth  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rsel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 July 07 21:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks Newfy,
    The James Liverman one in Benfleet is the one that i have been looking at a for a while, but nothing so far jumps out a being a positve match. (i.e does nto appear to be with family, or living close to any family that i can see)
   On the 1851, the copy i have is unclear so i could not make out anything other than essex, but looking on ancestry i can see that it has been transcribed as Wickham now. But on 1861 it is a quite definate N.R (for not recorded) which makes me doubt the 1851 entry. If only i could find those later census for him it might make it clearer.

Richard
Sellens - Sussex
Newham - Surrey
Camp - South Essex
Wren - Essex
Livermore - Essex
Wane - Essex
Fisk - Essex / Suffolk
Bailey/Bayley - Sussex
Newton - Sussex
Funnell - Sussex
Streeter - Sussex
Coates - Sussex
Maisey - Surrey

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 July 07 10:17 BST (UK) »
South Benfleet isnt a particularly big place, so that James isnt far from the family headed by a Wm Jas Livermore ? Not uncommon for a son to stay in the area and live-in with employers .... altho I'm worried about Wickham PoB ....

but looking on ancestry i can see that it has been transcribed as Wickham now. But on 1861 it is a quite definate N.R (for not recorded) which makes me doubt the 1851 entry

Each census should be taken independently, no reason whatsoever to base reasoning on an NR / NK entry in one particular Census.

The other approach would be to examine Parish Records for South Benfleet (held in Chelmsford I believe - they may offer a search service) and see what Livermores were christened in that period ...

:)

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 July 07 11:27 BST (UK) »
had a good look thru Census and BMDs  ... young John from the 1861 dies aged 14, and theres a couple of Elizas deaths recorded in the Rochford area ...

There is a James - some 10 years younger - born Wickham, in the Rochford area in 1881, wife Eliza, but its a 2nd marriage for her ..... kids in 1881 are noted as 'step' and surnamed Baker ... by 1891 they are all Livermores

cant tease anybody with the 'right' DoB out in 1871 altho there is - again 10 years younger, a James born Nevendon, which is in the Benfleet, Pitsea, Vange, Wickford area... however, his Eliza was born Woodham Walter ???
They are however in the Rochford area...

Cant remember which of the above were mistrans - but search LIVER* and you'll find them

Cheers, N   :)

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 July 07 12:36 BST (UK) »
Update - just spotted the Nevendon born James in 1881 .... did some research, and he married Eliza Orris from Woodham Walter in the Billericay RD (covers Benfleet etc) in 1862 ...

and he's still around in 1901 ...

Offline rsel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 18 July 07 17:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks Newfy,
   One of the Elizas (Q3 1861) is James wife Eliza Ellis, whom i have the death certificate for. I am sure that the Wm jas Livermore is not the right family, as from James marriage certificate his father is listed as a James Livermore, which i think ties into another family of a James & Sussanh Livermore in Rochford whom i have found in 1841, 51 & 61, but have no proof of this.
   I will look at the other census records you suggest to see if anything aorund them suggests a link.

Richard
Sellens - Sussex
Newham - Surrey
Camp - South Essex
Wren - Essex
Livermore - Essex
Wane - Essex
Fisk - Essex / Suffolk
Bailey/Bayley - Sussex
Newton - Sussex
Funnell - Sussex
Streeter - Sussex
Coates - Sussex
Maisey - Surrey

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 18 July 07 17:56 BST (UK) »
Have you looked at the IGI - altho it doesnt have the parishes around Benfleet, it does have this interesting entry:-

JAMES LIVERMORE  Christening:  26 APR 1819   Wickham Bishops, Essex

Parents:
  Father:  WILLIAM JAMES LIVERMORE    Mother:  CHARLOTTE       

~~~~~~~~
 Extracted birth or christening record for the locality listed in the record.

Theres also a Submitted entry for James, showing his spouse Eliza Ellis in South Benfleet, so somebody else is researching the family ....

Wm Jas own christening is there too - making his age on the 1841 (45+) spot-on ..

Birth:  11 NOV 1793     
Christening:  08 DEC 1793   Wickham Bishops, Essex

Parents are Edward and Elizabeth ...

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 18 July 07 18:18 BST (UK) »
Maybe Wm James was known as James - this isnt at all unusual ...

Marriage ..

JAMES LIVERMORE

Spouse:  CHARLOTTE PLAYLE 
  Marriage:  25 NOV 1818   Wickham Bishops, Essex

Extracted marriage record for locality listed in the record

a lot of coincidences I feel .... albeit on the 1841 South Benfleet Wm Jas wife is Sharlet or similar ....