Author Topic: Hunt family gillingham  (Read 5669 times)

Offline sewingkilla

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hunt family gillingham
« on: Tuesday 17 July 07 20:35 BST (UK) »
i have reached a brick wall i am trying to find out about my grt grt grandmother Elizabeth Slade who married Henry Hunt, their first child sarah ann died my grt grandmother Grace Ellen was born in 1870(22-01) at 2 Skinner Street, Gillingham, Kent. I cannot find Henry and Elizabeth on any census! I have no idea where Elizabeth was born or Henry and HUnt is such a common name that searching is a long job! He moved about a lot as he was a labourer the family story is they married in Paddington, London but my aunt is not sure of this, Elizabeth ended up living in Wales and i did wonder if she was origanally Welsh, my aunt seems to think she was married in welsh costume! any ideas? it doesn't help not knowing anything about her.
thanks for any help :)

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hunt family gillingham
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 July 07 22:55 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat.

You've not given us an easy problem to start off with. ;)

It's unusual for a family not to appear on any census - but I can't find them either.

The only welsh-born Elizabeth HUNT is married to George in Whitchapel with no children.

I can see Grace's birth on freeBMD.

When did Sarah Ann die?  Were there any other children born later?
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sewingkilla

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 July 07 11:40 BST (UK) »
Sarah Ann Hunt died 12/01/1870 aged 22 months, the address on the death certificate is skinner street, gillingham, daughter of Henry Hunt, Labourer. It doesn't help much!! they must have married (assuming Elizabeth was not pregnant when she married!) in 1868/69 but i have looked in bmd (i am a transcriber) and there are soooo many henry hunts married to elizabeth but no elizabeth slade! i guess i may never know where they came from, i don't understand why they are not on any of the census', they had other children after Grace Ellen, i have names but no dates, Lizzie, Hannah, Ted thanks for your answer anyway. My distant cousin is also researching and she is more mobile than me so maybe she will come up with something!!

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 July 07 11:51 BST (UK) »
Hi

Welcome to Rootschat

Assuming that you haven't found Grace Ellen on any census, could you tell us when/where she next turns up ie. perhaps a marriage - when/where and to whom?

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sewingkilla

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 July 07 12:03 BST (UK) »
she married Henry Hunt, but i have no information my elderly Aunt thought they married in Paddington, London, but i cannot find a marriage there for them, we don't know anything about her at all even though we have the photo. we know they lived in Gillingham, Kent where the first 2 children were born but as they don't appear on any census we are stuck! unless it has been incorrectly inscribed but its not a difficult name to understand. i'm not much help i'm afraid.

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 July 07 13:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Sewingkilla

I mean "Grace Ellen" - the daughter b1870 ;)

When/where does she next turn up etc.?

Casalguidi :)

Offline sewingkilla

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 18 July 07 14:53 BST (UK) »
oh sorry!! she turns up on 1891 census, married to George Coulson with Margaret aged 2 (my maternal grandmother) and George Henry 1, living in Runcorn, Cheshire, they moved about a lot as George was a ''ganger'' and had his own men. margaret was born in 1888 in Wales! this is why i wondered if Elizabeth was actually Welsh,

Offline sewingkilla

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 18 July 07 15:00 BST (UK) »
i have spoken to my aunt and dug out some more info, Lizzie was the youngest child of Elizabeth and Henry, Ted was born in Flint, Wales there was also a May. Hannah had a son Billy and daughter Edna, Billy lived in Cardiff. Its all a bit complicated! Wales keeps coming up though.

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 18 July 07 18:31 BST (UK) »
I see that "Grace Ellen" married as "Ellen" - I assume that is the correct marriage ie. George COULSON with a match to Ellen HUNT in the December quarter 1887 Cardiff registration district ref. 11a 457.  Are there any clues on the marriage certificate ie. an address for Ellen/names of witnesses etc.?

Casalguidi