Author Topic: EADIE  (Read 5438 times)

Offline Gavin Kedar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: EADIE
« Reply #9 on: Friday 20 July 07 20:46 BST (UK) »
Dear Julie-Ellen,
   Great to hear from you & for sharing the information. Will check with my Dad as to whether it was Little or Great Bentley Hall the Eadies farmed at.
   Yes, Jim & Jean Maule are related, they being my grandparents. Jean was 1 of 13 Eadie children. Jim & Jean had 3 children, my Mum, Ann Margaret, Bn 1940 Dd 1999, Alan John (Bn 1941 Dd 1961, farm accident) & Isobel Jean (Bn 1948, now in Lincolnshire). Where & when did your father have contact with Jim & Jean?. Is your family still in Scotland?. Did Agnes Jack marry a Mills, or did Margaret, your G'mother marry a Mills?.
   Look forward to your reply
      Regards,
          Gavin Kedar, Queensland, Australia.
Kedar (Lanarkshire,Renfrewshire) Letham (LNK) Brown (Lesmahagow & Dalserf, LNK) Grieg (LNK) Maule (Angus, Fife, Stirling & Perth shires) Finlay, Pretzel, Allan, (Stirlingshire, Lanarkshire) Eadie, Jack (Stirlingshire)

Offline Gavin Kedar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 21 July 07 15:05 BST (UK) »
Dear Suz,
  Thanks for the census details, great help. Has given me a help along. Many thanks,
   Regards,
          Gavin.

Dear Julie-Ellen,
   Have also remembered that as a wee lad in 1960's, we visited an Uncle Sandy (Alexander) a & A. Bec. He was Agnes & Margaret Jacks brother. He had retired from railways & lived in Cumbernauld. Any recollection of them in your family?.
  Regards,
        Gavin.
Kedar (Lanarkshire,Renfrewshire) Letham (LNK) Brown (Lesmahagow & Dalserf, LNK) Grieg (LNK) Maule (Angus, Fife, Stirling & Perth shires) Finlay, Pretzel, Allan, (Stirlingshire, Lanarkshire) Eadie, Jack (Stirlingshire)

Offline julie-ellen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 23 July 07 11:38 BST (UK) »
Dear Gavin
Agnes Jack married Robert Jack and their daughter Margaret is my grandmother.  Margaret Mills married Lawrence (Ted) Headley who was born in Leicestershire but moved with his family as a baby to Cumbernauld.  Ted and Meg had seven children of whom my father Ian Shearer Headley is the middle one.  Ted joined the Royal Flying Corps during World War I and then moved back to his birth county of Leicestershire in the 1920s.  My father knows very little of his mother's relatives other than that he used to visit his mother's aunt Margaret in Essex.  He said he remembered there were lots of daughters, one who had a sweet shop - very memorable when you are a young boy! Do you know the names of the Eadie children - I think they must have been born in Scotland as I can't find any births before the 1930s in England.

Julie-Ellen

Offline Gavin Kedar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 23 July 07 19:05 BST (UK) »
Dear Julie-Ellen,
   Thanks again for getting in touch. As I thought, the Eadie's did'nt speak much of thier family, although it seems it may be the Jacks also. Was wondering, you're Gr Grandmother, Agnes Jack, you said married a Robert Jack, is that correct?. Do you know if they were related?
   The Eadie family are, in rough order;
     1 Margaret;
     2 Mary; married Harry Smith. 4 children + 4 from Harry's 1st marriage.
     3 William; married Janet Cowan. 4 children.
     4  Alexander; m Jean Johnstone. 2 children.
     5 John; m Christine McNair. 4 children
     6 Robert Bn 1910; m Margaret Ellen Smith. 1 child, Christine, who m Guy Sams. I will check up, but I believe they had post office/shop in Little Bentley, or nearby, Christine & Guy took it on from her parents. Possible the sweet shop your Dad remembers.
     7  Barbera; m William Dawson Stewart. Emigrated to Rhodesia. 2 sons.
     8  Jeannie; (my Nana) Bn 26 Jan 1915; m James Finlay Maule.
     9 Agnes (Nan); m Andrew Mitchel. 2 girls.
   10  Jessie; m John McNair. 3 girls
   11  Isabella Turnbull (Bella); m Forrester Bain. 2 children
   12  Edward (Ned); m Margaret Blythe. 3 children
   13  James (Jim); m Jessie Sibbons. 2 children, dau (Moira) Dd in car crash ~1969, crash discovered by Jim & Jessie.

Hope this is helpful & may jog some memories. Yes. I believe they were all born in Scotland. My Nana spoke of them farming at Grangemouth, Stirlingshire, on the Forth, before moving to Essex in mid (I think) 1920's.
       Where & when did your Dad meet Jim & Jean Maule?.
       Look forward to your reply,
        Thanks again,
           Regards,
             Gavin Kedar.

Offline julie-ellen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 24 July 07 09:55 BST (UK) »
Dear Gavin
Thank you for all the information.  My mistake, my great grandmother Agnes Jack married Robert Mills not Jack.  I spoke to my father yesterday and he said he (Ian) and his brother Don stayed with Jim and Janet Maule during school holidays and helped out on their farm.  Having previously saying he couldn't remember anything else when I mentioned Ann, Alan and Isobel he said "Oh yes, I remember them all".  He did say though these were the only relatives of his mother that he ever met and that he never went up to Scotland as a child.  My grandparents Ted and Meg Headley emigrated to California after World War II but Ted returned with his second wife Eleanore in the 1970s.  My dad said they kept in touch with Jim and Jean.  I also apparently met Jim and Jean some years ago at the golden wedding of my uncle Bill (Ted and Meg's oldest survivng child).  I have traced the Jacks back a few generations through census returns and parish records - do you have this information?  If not I will send it to you.

Offline Gavin Kedar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 30 July 07 15:30 BST (UK) »
Dear Julie-Ellen,
    Sorry for late reply. Had computer trouble & also away for few days, with old school friend from boardingschool days in Norfolk. Not seen him since I left UK in 79, so great to catch up & meet his wife & family, as they holiday here in Australia. 
    Any Jack info would be much appreciated, all I have is Alexander Jack (Bn ~1855) & Margaret Shearer (Born ~1854) & thier children.
    Jim & Jean farmed at 'Daltons Fm' (cannot recall village) from 1938 until 1941, then at 'Moorhouse Fm', Hartest, Nr Boxted, south of Bury St Edmunds until 1961, then 'Hall Fm', Kelsale, Nr Saxmundham, Suffolk, until 1971. They then stayed with us, Nr Loddon, in Norfolk, for a year or so, before getting work milking in Warwickshire & Somerset for a couple of years, then milked 260 cows at Dunsby, Nr Bourne, Lincolnshire from about 1975 until 1986, retiring (aged75) & moved into Bourne.  Does your Dad recall any of these?. Isobel is married to John Cranston, & lives near Bourne. If your Dad likes, I can pass on thier Ph No?. My email is mrhaymakerisme@hotmail.com
  Look forward to your reply, & thanks for keeping in  contact
    Regards,
        Gavin Kedar.

Offline Gavin Kedar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 30 July 07 15:37 BST (UK) »
Dear Julie-Ellen,
    Sorry for late reply. Had computer trouble & also away for few days, with old school friend from boardingschool days in Norfolk. Not seen him since 79, so great to catch up & meet his wife & family.
    Any Jack info would be much appreciated, all I have is Alexander Jack (Bn ~1855) & Margaret Shearer (Born ~1854) & thier children.
    Jim & Jean farmed at 'Daltons Fm' (cannot recall village) until 1941, then at 'Moorhouse Fm', Hartest, Nr Boxted, south of Bury St Edmunds until 1961, then 'Hall Fm', Kelsale, Nr Saxmundham, Suffolk, until 1971. They then stayed with us for a year or so, before getting work milking in Warwickshire & Somerset for a couple of years, then milked 260 cows at Dunsby, Nr Bourne, Lincolnshire from about 1975 until 1986, retiring (aged75) & moved into Bourne.  Does your Dad recall any of these?. Isobel is married to John Cranston, & lives near Bourne. If your Dad likes, I can pass on thier Ph No?. My email is mrhaymakerisme@hotmail.com