Author Topic: Translation Help!!!  (Read 4831 times)

Offline joppo1968

• RootsChat Veteran
  • 4 x GGrandfather Joseph Boultbee (1758-1821)
    • View Profile
Translation Help!!!
« on: Wednesday 18 July 07 09:16 BST (UK) »
I have a PDF death certificate of an ancestor, Charles Wright, who died 8 Jan 1858, Maldon, Victoria. I'm having trouble deciphering the writing for his place of burial. I think I've pretty much got it right but when I search for that particular cemetery...I get nothing. The cemetery probably is now non -existant. If anyone can assist me, please PM me & I'll email you the PDF.

Thanks,

Mike.

P.s My interpretation of the cemetery is "Maldoulbury Boulaud."  ???
Jopson, Jubb, Jeffrey, Beardsworth, Boultbee, Byard, Pithers, Sale, Dowling, Dunn, Harrison, Offor, McDonald, Morgan, Walters, Wise. Alexander, Bayne, Collins, Dalton, Hill, Turner, Ripper, Vivash, Collins.

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
Re: Translation Help!!!
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 July 07 11:27 BST (UK) »
http://www.ozgenonline.com/aust_cemeteries/vic/mt_alexander/maldon.htm

hello  there Mike

here is a link to the Maldon cemetery trust
hope this helps
regards jenn
When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au

Offline joppo1968

• RootsChat Veteran
  • 4 x GGrandfather Joseph Boultbee (1758-1821)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 July 07 14:54 BST (UK) »
Hey Jenn!!

I've emailed them & there is "my" Charles Wright isn't buried there. There is another Charles Wright buried in the same year but different family. That's why when they emailed me back..I took another look at his certificate & his burial place continues into the next box, so from a distance it looks like Maldon but as you zoom in it's 2 longer words. Another mystery in my tree  :P

Mike.
Jopson, Jubb, Jeffrey, Beardsworth, Boultbee, Byard, Pithers, Sale, Dowling, Dunn, Harrison, Offor, McDonald, Morgan, Walters, Wise. Alexander, Bayne, Collins, Dalton, Hill, Turner, Ripper, Vivash, Collins.

Offline ChristineR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 July 07 15:26 BST (UK) »
Hey Jenn!!
....There is another Charles Wright buried in the same year but different family.....
Mike.

According to the BDM index  there were only two deaths for a Charles WRIGHT in 1858
one aged 36, born London, father Thomas, mother Ann Unknown
the other has the middle name of Alexander, parents unknown, aged 46, born England.

There are no deaths registered in 1859 (in case one died in 1858 but was not reg until 1859)

ChristineR
(I have PM'd Mike re image)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lones

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad & Mum
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 July 07 23:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Mike

I have checked the certificate and the way I read it, it is Maldon, the next part seems to be Henry Boulard, who I think is listed under the next column as a witness to the burial.   I have enlarged it and that is what I read. 

I was interested to read that the maldon cemetery doesn't have a burial for him, as I do believe that is what it says, Maldon. 

I hope you find him, let me know if I can help in anyway as you know I am living close to the area and am happy to follow up any leads you get for you.

Cheers

Lones

PS I just had another look and Henry Boulard is also on the cert as the informant, so I think I am right and he was the witness to burial too. 
Momentsandmemoriesdpr.com.au
Digital Photographic Restoration

Smith, Warwick Shire
Ashwell, Buckminster Leicester
Brown, Kent
OBrien/Brien, Cork
Dunstan, Stithians Corwall
Beard, Stithians Corwall
Penman, Midlothian, Perth or Fife
Dick, Fife
Ruddock, Staindrop Durham
Willis, Ingleton Durham
Gibbon, Kirkby Ravensworth
Lazenby, Middleton Yorkshire
Bradley, London
Ware, London

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 July 07 23:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Mike and Lones

I do agree that the extra words are the name of the informant in the next column. I increased the size of that section & transferred it to a jpeg so we can make a joint decision  :D  :D

I think Henry is Henry Bowland  :)

Trish

Edit: I know our certificates are expensive, but looking at this one reminds me how much wonderful information they contain - I wonder who decided this might be a useful idea? Perhaps it was a Scot - as they decided to do the same, but unfortunately found it all too hard & dropped much info after a year.  :(

Offline Lones

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad & Mum
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 19 July 07 01:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Trish

Yes it does look like Bowland, now you mention it.  I wonder if he was buried in Maldon too, in later years?  He must have been a friend or relative of Charles.  It is a pity Maldon doesn't have a record of Charles burial, because I too am sure that's what it says.  As far as I know Maldon would never have been big enough to have two cemeteries, but you never know I guess. 

I hope Mike finds this helpful in his search

Lones

PS I wonder if Thomson was the Undertaker or the minister?  Could be a lead there if he was the undertaker, some records might still exist.  I have no idea where you would look though, I'm still new to research, and not very good at it I might add. :-\

Momentsandmemoriesdpr.com.au
Digital Photographic Restoration

Smith, Warwick Shire
Ashwell, Buckminster Leicester
Brown, Kent
OBrien/Brien, Cork
Dunstan, Stithians Corwall
Beard, Stithians Corwall
Penman, Midlothian, Perth or Fife
Dick, Fife
Ruddock, Staindrop Durham
Willis, Ingleton Durham
Gibbon, Kirkby Ravensworth
Lazenby, Middleton Yorkshire
Bradley, London
Ware, London

Offline ChristineR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 19 July 07 04:16 BST (UK) »
Certainly Maldon - but does not say cemetery at all - so he may have been buried on private property or wherever the burials took place before the cemetery opened the year before - especially if other family members had predeceased him.

The other words do belong to the next column as previous said.

There is another Charles Wright buried in the same year but different family

Does this other Charles match up with the other death registration that I posted previously?  I find it an odd co-incidence that the only ones who died that year were both at Maldon.

Also I presume the burial date of the other Charles also eliminates him?

cheers
ChristineR

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 19 July 07 05:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Mike

Thought the following may be of interest - 

Lis Allan, FGSV, Dip F.H.S. - Researcher Maldon Museum + Archives

Lis has been researching her families for 25 years and has done extensive research in England, Ireland and Scotland. Some of Lis' families can go back to early 1600s.

Lis is a 5th generation Victorian.  Her particular interests in research are hospital, hotel, school, police and clergy records of the Central Victorian areas plus the history of every person buried in the Maldon Cemetery.

Found on

http://genealogy-jigsaw.com.au/profiles.htm

I agree with Chris re the possibility of being buried at Maldon but not necessarily in the cemetery.

Cheers
Cando

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk