Author Topic: Translation Help!!!  (Read 4832 times)

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Translation Help!!!
« Reply #18 on: Friday 20 July 07 03:38 BST (UK) »
Mike,

I wonder whether you have checked out the Melbourne and local newspapers just in case there is a death/funeral notice?

JAP

Offline joppo1968

• RootsChat Veteran
  • 4 x GGrandfather Joseph Boultbee (1758-1821)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 22 July 07 10:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Chatters!!

Sorry for my belated reply but I wentaway for the weekend  :P Thanks for the "Groom" occupation & I have no idea if they owned land at all. All I know is that Charle's wife, Cicely (nee Jopson) migrated to Vic with my GGrandfather in 1853 & she married Charles & my GGrandfather came across to Tassie. I found the 1851 Wright family census last week Trish & I have no idea whether it's the same "Charles"...most likely is buy I have traced Cicely's return to England in 1858 & her subsequent marriage & children etc. It's Charle's burial site I am more interested in that his history (he's just an In-Law  ;D just kidding!)

Mike.
Jopson, Jubb, Jeffrey, Beardsworth, Boultbee, Byard, Pithers, Sale, Dowling, Dunn, Harrison, Offor, McDonald, Morgan, Walters, Wise. Alexander, Bayne, Collins, Dalton, Hill, Turner, Ripper, Vivash, Collins.

Offline joppo1968

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 22 July 07 10:17 BST (UK) »
Hi JAP,

Thanks for the thought re: Melbourne papers but I don't have access here in Tassie! I've tried in the past re: access to the Age etc & it's more about publications than obituaries etc.

Mike.
Jopson, Jubb, Jeffrey, Beardsworth, Boultbee, Byard, Pithers, Sale, Dowling, Dunn, Harrison, Offor, McDonald, Morgan, Walters, Wise. Alexander, Bayne, Collins, Dalton, Hill, Turner, Ripper, Vivash, Collins.

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 22 July 07 10:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Mike,

I'm surprised!

Here in Adelaide the State Library has the Melbourne 'Age' and the Melbourne 'Argus' on microfilm back to whenever - I've found lots of death/funeral notices and obits and pars about accidents/coroners' reports in early editions (all invaluable for my research!).  Their holdings of country newspapers of the distant past are, however, woeful.

I guess there's always the possibility of using a researcher ...

JAP

Offline joppo1968

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 22 July 07 12:13 BST (UK) »
Hey JAP!

I was surprise/disappointed too, so I'll contact someone at RAOGK!

Mike.

Offline Gwynneth Starr

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 01 August 07 12:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Mike.  I have a great aunt Elizabeth Ansett who is buried in a lone grave at the base of the track to
Mt Tarrangower in Maldon.  Many people were buried on the slopes of Mt. Tarrangower prior to the cemetery opening in 1857 and I wonder if this is what happened to your Charles even though he died a year later than this. 

Gwynneth

Offline joppo1968

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 06 August 07 13:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Gwynneth,

Sorry for my belated reply but I've been away for a few days. You may be right re: grave at Mt. Tarrangower as 1 of his children were born at Tarrangower. He & his wife Cicely had a boy, Charles, who is listed as a dead "Issue," on Charle's death certificate but he doesn't come up on the Vic BDM registry. He would have been born & died between 1853 - 1856, in Maldon/Tarrangower.

Thanks.

Mike.

Offline Lones

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad & Mum
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 11 August 07 05:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Mike

I have been to the local library today as promised.  This is what they have

Maldon Internments taken from the Death Registrer and other sources

Event date     07-01-1858
Age                 36 yrs
Surname         Wright
Forename       Charles
DT                   B  (Burial)
District            Maldon
BDM                2286

They also had a Cemetery Index Report

Surname        Wright
First name      Charles
Age                36 yrs
Date               07-01-1858
Day of Week  Thursday
Date Type       Burial
AIGS               Yes
Library            No
Register          Yes
Headstone      No
Cemetery        Maldon

I think, by the above that your Charles was buried in the Maldon Cemetery.  The only discrepency is that he was buried one day before he died (could be the cause of death  ;)).  Bearing in mind that the date could be an error, the certificate could have been writen on the 8th.  Aside from that it would be too coincidental if two Charles Wrights both died in 1858 in Maldon and both at the same time, one dying on the 8th and the other buried the day before??  What do you think?

I hope this sheds some light for you, let me know what you think please

Cheers

Lones  :)
Momentsandmemoriesdpr.com.au
Digital Photographic Restoration

Smith, Warwick Shire
Ashwell, Buckminster Leicester
Brown, Kent
OBrien/Brien, Cork
Dunstan, Stithians Corwall
Beard, Stithians Corwall
Penman, Midlothian, Perth or Fife
Dick, Fife
Ruddock, Staindrop Durham
Willis, Ingleton Durham
Gibbon, Kirkby Ravensworth
Lazenby, Middleton Yorkshire
Bradley, London
Ware, London

Offline joppo1968

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 12 August 07 12:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Lones!

You have done well! This would have to be him. I can't imagine 2 Charles Wright's dying/buried with 2 days of each other in the same area, despite Wright being a reasonably common name. Haha @ his burial was the cause of death. There must have been a mistake on his death certificate re: dates of death & burial.

Thanks so much for looking this info up for me!

Mike.