Author Topic: What does this say?  (Read 6859 times)

Offline pettsy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What does this say?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 19 July 07 21:38 BST (UK) »
Oh  :'(
Thanks Anne.

Might have to save it for another time.

Pettsy
Petts in Hertfordshire,Chelsea & New Zealand.<br />Swift in Islington, Chelsea &  Battersea.<br />Cox in Chelsea.<br />Carter in Chelsea.<br />Little in Westminster, London.<br />Munn & McAulay in Duntocher, Scotland.<br />
Munn New Jersey and Oz
Dwyer, McManus & Kiernan in Ireland.<br />Turner in Shrewsbury.<br />Cannon in London.<br />Porter in London.<br />Kinner in Chelsea, London.<br />Le Breton

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 19 July 07 22:00 BST (UK) »
That would be a shame.

Let me know if you don't manage to go and I'll nip over, look for the stones, take some photos and send them on - and next time you're here, you'll know exactly what to look for.

Anne

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 20 July 07 04:12 BST (UK) »
From the IGI.

Andrew BROUN m Margaret PAUL, 12 Jun 1790, Killearn
They had:
John BROWN bap 3 Oct 1790, Killearn
William BROUN bap 1 Aug 1792, Killearn

Also with parents of those names is:
Andrew BROWN bap 25 Oct 1812, Fintry

William BROWNE (parents Andrew BROWNE & Margaret PAUL) married Christian EWING (parents James EWING & Mary FISHER) 29 Nov 1823, Killearn
- William & Christian had James b 1825 Balfron, William bap 1828 Killearn, Helen bap 1830 Killearn, John bap 1833 Killearn, Margret bap 1836 Fintry, Mary bap 1839 Fintry, Archibald Ewing bap 1842 Fintry.

JAP

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 20 July 07 05:00 BST (UK) »
And re the MI posted by Anne.

William BROWN m Margaret MCLAREN, 26 Nov 1861, Killearn
They had at least (all Killearn):
John 1862, Archibald 1864, William 1867, Catherine Buchanan 1869, Andrew 1871, Thomas 1873, Robert 1874.

There is a Killearn website at:
http://www.killearnontheweb.co.uk/online.html
It spells out where Killearn is and has links to relevant map sites.

JAP

Offline apanderson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 20 July 07 09:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Pettsy,

I think you'll definately have to visit these wee places!!!

Thanks to JAP's posts, I've been able to 'dig up' some more info. I hadn't previously included Fintry but the following info looks as if it fits in.

I transcribed the Fintry Obituaries a wee while ago (with the help of another Rootschatter in US) and at the same time, added info from the MI's of all the existing and legible stones so in theory, it contains burials from 1710 to 2004.

I was having a wee look through it and found the following:

Christian Brown (nee Ewing), wife of William Brown, Newtown, Fintry died 19th July 1847 aged 43 of Consumption
William Brown, Labourer, Newtown, Fintry, Widower, died 13th May 1849 aged 61 of Consumption
William Brown, son of William Brown, Labourer, Newtown, died 17th February 1845  aged 7 months? of Consumption
Andrew Brown? Cotton Spinner, son of William Brown, Newtown, died 8th November 1845 aged 22 (Single), of Consumption

The question marks indicate that the details are what I think it says on the Obituaries. There's no way of telling if the above people were all of the same family but Fintry is only a wee village and must have been even smaller back in the 1800's.  There looks to have been quite an age difference between Christian and William (if the above were husband and wife) so I'm going to have another look at the original images to see if William's age at death was perhaps 41, which would make more sense.

There aren't any stones left/legible for any of the above and there's nothing listed in the pre-1855 MI Book for Fintry so they may never have had a stone.

Anne

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 20 July 07 10:49 BST (UK) »
Anne,

That's fascinating.

But sad to see the prevalence of consumption as a cause of death.  The few death certs I have of rells from Kippen mostly show the cause of death as consumption ...

JAP

Offline pettsy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 20 July 07 10:55 BST (UK) »
That would be a shame.

Let me know if you don't manage to go and I'll nip over, look for the stones, take some photos and send them on - and next time you're here, you'll know exactly what to look for.

Anne

Hi Anne,

That would be very kind of you, I might have to take you up on your offer. Thank you you've been so helpful.  :)

Hi Jap,

So it is PAUL!!
Thank you.  ;)
makes it easier when you have the correct name.
Thanks for the link.

Oh Anne,
They all died of Consumption  :o :o

Pettsy
Petts in Hertfordshire,Chelsea & New Zealand.<br />Swift in Islington, Chelsea &  Battersea.<br />Cox in Chelsea.<br />Carter in Chelsea.<br />Little in Westminster, London.<br />Munn & McAulay in Duntocher, Scotland.<br />
Munn New Jersey and Oz
Dwyer, McManus & Kiernan in Ireland.<br />Turner in Shrewsbury.<br />Cannon in London.<br />Porter in London.<br />Kinner in Chelsea, London.<br />Le Breton

Offline apanderson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 21 July 07 19:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Pettsy,

The 2 Brown stones mentioned earlier are still standing in Killearn Churchyard and are in reasonable condition - their inscriptions can still be read without too much trouble.

I've sent you an e-mail with all the details but I though I would also post a wee message on here just in case in the future, any other Rootschatters are searching the same families.

Anne

Offline pettsy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 21 July 07 20:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Ann,

Oh thank you that's great  ;D
I'll email you.  ;)

Pettsy
Munn New Jersey and Oz