Author Topic: Register of Baptisms - Shrewsbury  (Read 2042 times)

Offline stokepoges

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Register of Baptisms - Shrewsbury
« on: Thursday 19 July 07 21:54 BST (UK) »
My mother Bridget White was baptised on the 5th of December 1922 at the Cathedral Church, Shrewsbury. by the Reverend Robert Bleasdale. I have no birth certificate for my mother. The puzzle is my mother was Irish and lived in Mitchelstown, County Cork. Does anyone know if the Baptismal Certificate could lead me to a copy of her Birth Certificate and how I could obtain it. Any help or suggestions appreciated.

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
Re: Register of Baptisms - Shrewsbury
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 July 07 10:52 BST (UK) »
If she was born in England you can search the complete Index HERE

You have to search year by year, quarter by quarter, and check out each page.  Luckily for you, births after 1913 showed mother's maiden name, so that can be an extra checking point.  Each entry shows a registration district, volume and page number.  Using the details, a copy of the birth certifcate can be ordered online from the General Register Office.

What other details are recorded on the baptism? 

The puzzle is my mother was Irish and lived in Mitchelstown, County Cork.

Did she move to Ireland when she was a young girl?

All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline stokepoges

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 20 July 07 22:34 BST (UK) »
Hello Lloydy

Well firstly thank you for responding so quickly. I followed your advice and searched for her birth. Not easy. Her given name was Bridget and there was no Bridget. However looking under her mothers maiden name of O'Brien I managed to locate the record. It is recorded as Saint B White in the District of Atcham. Bet she didn't know that. I then ordered the Birth Certificate on line and am awaiting it's delivery. She must have moved to Ireland as a child. So 100% success!! Thank you so much for your guidance. Alan.

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 July 07 21:37 BST (UK) »

What a speedy success story!!!!! 

Are you hoping to research your's family (ie. your Grandparents) or have you done so already?  If not, please do post the details of her birth certificate and I will see what I can find for you.

All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand