Author Topic: oldest ancestor in photograph  (Read 11415 times)

wileman 121

oldest ancestor in photograph
« on: Thursday 19 July 07 22:05 BST (UK) »
just for a bit of fun i thought it might be interesting to see who has pictures of there gt grandparents or gt gt grandparents or how far back they can go ? 

the victorian picture with the scary looking lady is my
great great great grandma and grandad Robert Emmingham and hannah Crowder both born around 1839

and the other one is my great great great great grandma with her daughter Rachael Prestidge 1833 - 1907
can anyone beat 4 great's

regards jason

Offline stoney

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum, bless her!
    • View Profile
Re: oldest ancestor in photograph
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 July 07 22:22 BST (UK) »
This is my 3xG-Grandfather Charles Beattie (1781-1873)

The family picture is of my 3xG-Grandparents on another line - the Routledge family - we think it was taken mid to late 1860's
Beattie, Beveridge, Carson, Davidson, Hounam, Johnston,  Purdon, Rae, Stevenson, - Scotland.  Brown, Bulman, Cooke, Harding, Meyers, Osborne, Routledge - England

Offline Cybermouse

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 20 July 07 00:44 BST (UK) »
Here are my oldest rellies captured on celluloid (so to speak)
The stern looking gentleman is my GGG Grandfather John Holloway. The other is my GGG Grandmother Lucy Holloway nee Birch. Looks like GGG Grandfather Holloway didnt have much of a sense of humour  ;D
Bron
Booth of Derbyshire, Susquehanna, PA and Victoria, Australia, Rogers of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire, Denial, Naylor of Yorkshire, Holloway of Staffordshire, Birch of Staffordshire, Pike of London and NSW, Australia.<br /><br />UK census data is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline drodgers34

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 20 July 07 00:48 BST (UK) »
My theory on the stern faces is early phorographers were nerdy technicians who were yet to develop a customer service ethic.

They probably acted quite haugtily to their subjects and put them in a bad mood - they were probably quite suspicious anyway !

I notice the men are more likely to have a confident look about them but the ladies often look very worried !

Of course we owe a great debt to soem of those pioneers - was in whitby abbey and they had an enlargement of a scene by sutcluffe from the late 1800's - it looked like a still from a hollywood flm - so clear in detail

More here

http://www.sutcliffe-gallery.co.uk/

Offline Cybermouse

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 20 July 07 01:16 BST (UK) »
Also, they probably had to sit very still for a long period of time for the image to be taken. Probably got bored  ;D
Booth of Derbyshire, Susquehanna, PA and Victoria, Australia, Rogers of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire, Denial, Naylor of Yorkshire, Holloway of Staffordshire, Birch of Staffordshire, Pike of London and NSW, Australia.<br /><br />UK census data is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline adee7

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 20 July 07 01:36 BST (UK) »
In a picture that I have of a great-great grandmother, and in others posted on RC, it seems apparent that some of our wonderful ancestors had few or no teeth in their later years, and refused to smile for the camera.

Kathleen

England and Belfast - GOFF, GOUGH, MATHERS, MOXHAM/MOXAM,  OSMOND, PHILLIPS, WINDER, WYKES

Scotland - JOHNSTON, DORWARD, KIDD, KYD, RAMSAY, RAE

Canada - DeWOLFE, HALLADAY, HASKINS, HICOCK, JOHNSTON, OLD/OLDS

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 20 July 07 04:33 BST (UK) »
What fabulous photos!

If you trot them over to the Photo Restoration board someone will be able to clean them up...get rid of the spots and so forth. And we'll all be able to ooh and aah over them ;D

You'll just have to change the file name slightly...add a 1 to the file name or something, because if you don't the RC server will tell you there's already a photo of that name posted.

Cheers,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick
Jubb/Kerr~Mirfield~Halifax~Moffatt
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline Sarndra

• RootsChat Senior
  • www.magnaquiestracing.co.nz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 20 July 07 08:01 BST (UK) »
Oh very cool pics guys!  Isn't it brilliant...and aren't our future generations lucky to have video!

My two photos are of my G G G G Grandparents...John PAWSON b 29 June 1808 Otley Yorkshire, England d c1865 possibly Otago Goldfields, NZ and Mary Ann nee LAWSON b c June 1811 Yorkshire, England and d 13 July 1880, Canterbury, NZ.  Married  7 Jan 1828, Calverley, Yorkshire, England and came to NZ in 1840 aboard 'Coromandel' being pre adamites (arriving 10 years before the main settlers) with their  5 children (including my G G G  grandmother Sarah Ann later Mrs James George STEVENSON).  Mary Ann married secondly to Samuel Sharpe CASTLE.

Cheers
Sarndra
www.sarndra.com
ARBUCKLE; BAILEY; BLACKADDER; BURNS; DARBON/DARBEN; DAVIDSON; ERSKINE; EVANS; GUEST; HANNAH; HAMILTON; HAND; HOLDER; JOHNSTON; KENNEDY; KITCHENER; LAVERIE; LAWSON; LEES;  LEESE; LOAN; LODGE; MACE; MCCOOK; MCGUIRE; MCKAI/MCKAY; MCLEES; PAWSON; RUSS; STEVENSON; TOUGH; VALE; WERT; WHEELER; WORT;

Offline Simon G.

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 20 July 07 16:06 BST (UK) »
I'm quite envious...the furthest I have back in photos is to my great-grandparents, all born in the 1880s.  We have quite a propensity for not keeping photos in our family. :(  On the plus though, I have photos of all eight of my great-grandparents. :D
Currently engaging in a one-name study of the Twyman surname.

Golding, Twyman, Kennard, Wales (Kent).
Berks, Challinor (Staffordshire).
Wakely. (Glam & Monmouth).